PDA

View Full Version : "cheap" 500pts. armies

blue penguin
09-06-2008, 00:23
so my uncle is going to try to get my little cousin into the game(although it could be ether fantasy or 40K) and i wanted to start a new army as he started his, but i want to continue on working on my other armies as i do so so it has to be relatively cheap and small if possible.

so far i have only thought of:

ogres.- bruiser and 2 units of 3 bulls

and

daemons.- herald of slaanesh, 2X10 daemonettes, and a fiend

what do you guys think about them lists? can you think of other lists? how has your day been? do you think this is even possible?

NightLord
09-06-2008, 05:21
It is very possible. Did you want one of those two armies in particular? I am also making a 500 point list... For fairly cheap you can buy a battalion and an HQ choice and that should be a fairly solid force to start with.

You can get just about any army to 500 points for a very low sum of cash...

Wood Elves

Waywatcher Noble (Or caster) Hail of Doom Arrow
5 glade riders,
10 glade guard,
5 way watchers.

Nice themed-ish 505 point army there...

You could do a bret army easily for a low cost.

Vampire counts you could start cheaply... But it gets more expensive the longer you go.

I would just go with an army that has units that cost around 10 points... So any of the Elves would work. As long as you get a lot of points in the box it is a safe bet you can make the army more cost effective. This is just my opinion however and I haven't broken it down... But, you should be able to be whatever you want with a little luck.

blue penguin
09-06-2008, 18:12
first of all thanks for the reply, secondly i was kind of hopping on starting one of four races(warriors or daemons of chaos, brettonia, or ogres)but i'm not planning on expanding the army if it is one of the second two; however it is possible that after using it i'll want to expand it, that's why i wasn't looking that much at battalions as they are the ones i would use to expand the army. although i might start saving money to start as you say with a battalion and a hero.

P.S. on the inside i kind of like ogres the most

Conotor
09-06-2008, 21:15
Orcs and goblins are the cheepest army. They take a long time to paint, though. Battle for skull pass is the best deal ever.

Necromancer2
10-06-2008, 18:21
2 paladins
and a unit of KOTR and archers.

OldMagik
10-06-2008, 18:52
O&G from Skull Pass Easy 600 pts of soldiers for 45 bucks and you can trade ur dwarves for more o&g and have 1k rulebook dice yada yada yada and all u need then is the army book

izikial
10-06-2008, 19:20
you can make a effectiv lizard man army from the batalion box and a scar vet, im curntly getign back in to the hobby after 5-6 gap and am thinking abotu doing that

Geratsu
11-06-2008, 06:27
so my uncle is going to try to get my little cousin into the game(although it could be ether fantasy or 40K) and i wanted to start a new army as he started his, but i want to continue on working on my other armies as i do so so it has to be relatively cheap and small if possible.

so far i have only thought of:

ogres.- bruiser and 2 units of 3 bulls

and

daemons.- herald of slaanesh, 2X10 daemonettes, and a fiend

what do you guys think about them lists? can you think of other lists? how has your day been? do you think this is even possible?
If u play border patrol u cant play with that ogre army. U need unit strenght of 10+.

Dyrnwyn
11-06-2008, 06:34
Well, the 500 point Wood Elf army I'm building right now was bought at retail prices for $80. Probably not as good a value as the battalion box, but two boxes of Dryads and a Spellsinger makes enough for 500 points, though my Spellsinger is going to be pretty well kitted out at ~200 points.

Geratsu
11-06-2008, 11:02
Cheap 500p army? 10 Chaos warriors and general ~150p? Cost:30e