PDA

View Full Version : panic test on misfiring warmachine

Search
23-10-2005, 19:40
Greetings.

A simple question. I have been looking at different sources of gw, ( faq compilations etc) but the anwser is ... contradictionary at best.

When a warmachine misfires and thus suffers a destroyed result does it inflict a panictest in friendly units within 4-6"?

I would say no based on this:

Q. When a war machine unit, Skaven Weapons Team, wizard, etc. destroys
itself via a misfire, malfunction, miscast, etc. do friendly units
within 4" have to take a Panic check at the end of the phase?

A. No test required. The panic test for friends destroyed is very
specific about enemy magic and shooting again. In this case, most
soldiers are just waiting for the wizard's head to explode or the
whirly-gun of doom to blow itself up. They're pretty used to this
type of behaviour.
S. Gav Thorpe - Warhammer Design Team

but also I found in the faq compilation on the website the anser to the question

" does a destroyed warmachine inflict panictests in friendly units within 4 inch? "
A: " yes"

So you see I'm in doubt.
I would go with the first anwser I found but people in my gaming club have gone against that.
( Granted going against it was in their favour but still).

Can anybody provide me with the anwser and the location of the source?

many thanks

Search

samw
23-10-2005, 20:10
Isn't the unit less than US5 the vast majority of the time and hence wouldn't cause panic as per the normal rules?

Festus
23-10-2005, 20:15
Hi

The destruction must be caused by enemy magic or shooting to cause a panictest IIRC. I don't have the book with me, it is in my car, but I think that this is the wording of the relevant rule for panic.

Greetings
Festus

Festus
23-10-2005, 20:16
Hi

Isn't the unit less than US5 the vast majority of the time and hence wouldn't cause panic as per the normal rules?
It has to be a single model with a starting US of 5 or less to not cause panic...

Atrahasis
23-10-2005, 20:21
A unit must take a Panic test if it suffers 25% of its current number as caualties in the enemy's Shooting phase or Magic phase."

(Emphasis mine).

Festus
23-10-2005, 20:27
See, I told you so ;)

Thank you very much for the prompt quote, Atrahasis.

Greetings
Festus

Search
23-10-2005, 21:10
warmachines do not take a panictest if 25% or more of their numbers are casuality to shooting or magic. this was adressed in Chronicles.

my question is if a destroyed warmachine by a misfire chart roll causes a panictest in friendly units or not.

WLBjork
23-10-2005, 22:57
Go back and read the second paragraph of Panic, subsection 5 (pp80).

Warmachines do not have to test if they lose one or more of their crew, and neither do ridden monsters if they lose their rider.

However, point 6 (pp81) does apply
If a unit is wiped out by shooting or magic any friendly units within 4" of it must take a panic check at the end of the phase unless the destroyed unit is a single model with less than 5 wounds on it's original profile.

To the original poster: A destroyed WM only causes panic if your enemy destroys it.

Festus
24-10-2005, 08:24
Hi

my question is if a destroyed warmachine by a misfire chart roll causes a panictest in friendly units or not.
for the umpteenth time: No, it doesn't cause panic, as the destruction was self-inflicted.

Festus

Search
24-10-2005, 10:02
Right :) I only read the above post with half an eye yesterday evening.

Tnx to all for answering.

Carcass
29-10-2005, 15:04
Greetings.
Does a warmachine destroyed completely by enemy shooting or magic cause panictests to nearby friendly units ? ( i read what happens for 25% and lower loss of crew, my question is what happens if the warmachine is destroyed in a single shooting or magic phase ).

bored1
29-10-2005, 15:43
yes, it does.

T10
29-10-2005, 16:38
Yes, it does.

It is a unit of multiple models and though it's unit strenght is typically below 5 then it obviously does not qualify as a single model with 5 or more wounds.

-T10