PDA

View Full Version : Flank bonus vs. Dead Guys?

Malagant
09-06-2008, 03:44
Rules question came up during a game today:

Unit A is attacking the flank of Unit B.

Unit C attacks the flank of Unit A, and kills them all.

Unit A is dead. Unit C is in contact with only corpses.

Does Unit C get the +1 to CR for Flank?

Thanks!!

WLBjork
09-06-2008, 03:51
If unit A is wiped out, there's no combat resolution to carry out, as B and C have won.

Edit: Unless you're talking asbout a 3-way game, at which point there's no way to guide you.

Rodman49
09-06-2008, 04:02
If unit A is wiped out, there's no combat resolution to carry out, as B and C have won.

Edit: Unless you're talking asbout a 3-way game, at which point there's no way to guide you.

Hmm, in a three way game I would count the flankers as charging each other and fight an immediate other round of combat.

Malagant
09-06-2008, 04:05
I should have added, Unit B was fighting another Unit D to it's front, though Unit C was not in contact with D.

Confused yet? :)

AA DDD
CCBBBB
CCBBBB

Perhaps more detail: Units C and D charged B on Turn 1. Many B died, but they held. On Turn 2, A charged C, killing all of them. Combat continued with B and D. Does A flanking C give +1 to that CR?

NecroNurgle
09-06-2008, 04:47
Ah, I see. Your first post didn't make any sense. Yes, I believe that would count.

Cambion Daystar
09-06-2008, 07:18
I don't think you get it, as flanks and rears are counted after combat. Same manner as you don't get the flank anymore when you suffer casualties that reduce you to unit strength lower then 5

LemonPotato
09-06-2008, 08:15
I do not believe that they would count as having the flank as they would no longer be in combat. This also leads me to believe that this unit no longer in combat would not count for the outnumbering bonus.
Unit A's ranks however would still count as this is calculated at the start of combat. As I intepret it Unit A will be free to move normally next turn.

LemonPotato

T10
09-06-2008, 09:18
Rules question came up during a game today:

Unit A is attacking the flank of Unit B.

Unit C attacks the flank of Unit A, and kills them all.

Unit A is dead. Unit C is in contact with only corpses.

Does Unit C get the +1 to CR for Flank?

Thanks!!

It is an awkward situation for sure. As far as I can tell, you get to count the rank bonus for unit C (if that was indeed the best rank bonus available). This is because ranks are counted at the start of the combat round.

You also get to add any bonuses for wounds and challenge overkill caused by unit C.

Other bonuses counted at the end of the combat round do not apply as by that time unit C has "dropped out" and can no longer be counted.

That's RAW as far as I can tell.

-T10

EvC
09-06-2008, 10:09
Flanks and rears are counted at the end of combat, so you shouldn't really get it. But many will play that you do, as punishing someone for overkill is a bit sad ;)

Malagant
09-06-2008, 16:15
Thanks for answers, guys!

I agree, EvC...seems counter-intuitive to take away the bonus someone worked to get with the flank charge because they managed to kill everything :)

Nurgling Chieftain
09-06-2008, 16:37
Other bonuses counted at the end of the combat round do not apply as by that time unit C has "dropped out" and can no longer be counted.
Minor quibble: The time at which Unit C drops out is specified as being in the Redress the Ranks step, which is after combat resolution. (With a rule for when that happens in the rulebook, I don't think we should assume it can happen at other times.) So, Unit C will count towards outnumbering.