PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Overload?

Eternus
09-06-2008, 11:42
Does anyone think that somtimes this game we love is dominated too much by Magic Items? Do you ever find that it's the power of some of these items, and the combinations of them, that win games, rather than sound tactical manouvering and application of units?

Maybe you find that this is all just part of the game, and that the balance between game winning units and game winning magic items is ok. After all, we all have access to various items, and some are powerful, but better against some armies than others.

What do you guys think? Too many Magic Items and not enough 'hack 'n slash'?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
09-06-2008, 11:46
Nope. Not in the least.

The judicious application of a Character with a fit for task chosen Magic Item can swing a combat. But then, thats part of the manouvering and that.

We could always go backwards though...Hydra Sword, Potion of Strength and Black Gem = dead enemy regiment in one round of combat, easy.

I don't see any game winning magic items nowadays. Expensive Magic Weapons come at the cost of Magic Armour, and so on. Before, you just got three cards, with no limit on points (barring the no more than 25% of game total) to choose from.

Eternus
09-06-2008, 11:54
I definitely agree that having a total magic items points limit for each character has gone a long way to solving a lot of the old problems from previous editions.

As you say, powerful weapons come at the expense of armour etc. Though, with additional race specific tailoring, like Bretonnian Virtues and Vampiric Powers, it's easy to add to a character's power in other ways.

There are some magic items which are just a nightmare for opponents, like the Banner of the Lady Of The Lake for example. Negating your opponents rank bonus removes pretty much the only advantage infantry blocks have over cavalry, but then it does cost 100 points.

tiass
09-06-2008, 12:12
The game, especially through this edition has become far more magic item oriented, hole armies are now built around items, and can make or brake the day, to a much bigger exstend than what they used to.

the lady banner though, is nothing against the new stubborn banners though, not to mension regeneration :S

Finnigan2004
09-06-2008, 12:33
I'll go with no as well. I think that there are certainly some powerful combinations of magic items, but I do not participate in or see many games where heroes trump armies. The heroes and items act as force multipliers for units, which is the way it should work. Play a seven knights scenario and see how it goes.