PDA

View Full Version : Screamers

Asfaloth
09-06-2008, 13:14
Well you see quite a lot of Tzeentch daemon armys. They all include Horrors, Flamers and Heralds on chariots.

Screamers on the other hand a very rarely seen. I wonder why as I think them very unique, fun to use and also quite effective.

I only had one game with my daemon force (3000 points) against Bretts. The screamers were amazing, dealing two wounds to a Hippogriff and two to the lord riding it. They also caused panick in several peasant units.

So why is it I seem to be the only one using screamers?

Oenghus
09-06-2008, 13:34
My semi-regular daemon opponent uses screamers, and they can be very effective, especially against small units (things like skinks, obviously, but even saurus cavalry are wounded on threes with only a five-up save).

The best way to deal with them, of course, is to get them in combat where they crumple like tissue paper. I guess a lot of people like more flexibility in their units or something.

dsw1
09-06-2008, 14:04
I use 9 screamers in any deamon force I have (pure and simply because I only own 9 screamers, so that is a unit of 4 and a unit of 5) and they have never failed me once ;). Using them as a threat will also keep some peoples units at bay as, in my local store, people know how effective they can be.

Add them to a Slaanesh army they can be VERY effective also.

The_Dark_Lord
09-06-2008, 16:23
i use screamers in most battles and when i don't, i regret it.

TheWarSmith
12-06-2008, 05:16
Well, Screamers are odd, as GW changed their role 100%. They used to be fairly good in close combat and war machine hunting, and then they got slashing attacks as a neat little bonus.

Now they're big wet paper bags that can cause nasty damage in the remaining moves. Set them up properly and they can slash over 2-3 units.

I use 2 units of 4 so that I can have a unit where I need them, and then if they accidentally have to be exposed and they get shot/magic/stabbed to death, I've got another unit.

They're pretty good as they're long range consistant attacks, and Tzeentch doesn't have that many things to put in the special slots anyway.

OldMaster
12-06-2008, 06:18
Well I have three.. I think there are awesome.

Fallen401
12-06-2008, 10:19
Quick question, do the slashing attacks count as flaming or are they not counted as such?

OldMaster
12-06-2008, 10:51
They should be...

TheWarSmith
13-06-2008, 00:15
It just describes Screamers as having flaming attacks, so I would say that all of their forms of attacks count.

Terrokhan
14-06-2008, 06:21
Screamers are so good, yes their slashing attacks are flaming.
Screamers are the best slowing unit in the game against fast moving melee forces.
They can also take out war machine crew and lone characters and the like. The automatic S5 hit is OP. They are definitely worth the 30pts a pop without a doubt. If you land them in a smart location every turn they shouldn't fall into too much trouble, keeping them out of combat is obvious. The problem is now that they have only 1 wound each they can get owned by shooting so you have to be careful where you land them.

Chaos Mortal
14-06-2008, 15:21
yea i think they look great on paper i think im gona buy myself a box. What size do people find good for a unit?

TheWarSmith
14-06-2008, 16:00
yea i think they look great on paper i think im gona buy myself a box. What size do people find good for a unit?

They're great in game too. 3-4 seems to be a good size. Anymore than that and it might be difficult to realistically have every single one fly over a target.

Chaos Mortal
14-06-2008, 16:38
thanks i efinatly like the sound of them

theunwantedbeing
14-06-2008, 16:46
Screamers are fairly expensive and didnt get new models.
Which is the most likely reason people dont use them.

They're pretty damned brilliant for what they can do though.

Pavic
14-06-2008, 16:56
I think the reason that screamers are a little less prevelant than most units are the options they are competing against. Flesh hounds are incredible for their 35 points and seekers, combined with the Siren Standard, are just amazing.

There is also the issue of points. I think screamers are more of a "luxury" unit. By this, I mean that, although they are nice, there are other more effective and/or necessary units that have to be taken first. So, in an army with point costs like daemons, there just is not enough room for the "luxury" unit.

Kerill
14-06-2008, 16:58
Flamers are also better than screamers, screamers are great but can easily be mitigated against and/or destroyed easily (S3 shooting, a magic missile). Flamers and flesh hounds are powerful, also multi-task well and a lot more difficult to destroy.