PDA

View Full Version : Empire Steam Tank

electricwolf
10-06-2008, 00:21
I play wood elves and a friend of mine plays empire. He uses a steam tank and it's becoming the bane of my elves. It just doesn't seem to want to die.

Any suggestions?

theunwantedbeing
10-06-2008, 00:29
A treeman has a fair chance of killing it.....it'll take several turns.
2 treeman will kill it twice as fast (unsurprisingly).

You could always be an utter pain in the backside and play "hide in the forests" the entire game while you shoot the rest of his army to death.

Beasts magic can be somewhat useful...the hunter spears can be used to take a wound off it per turn.
While bear's anger on an alter kindred with the helm of the hunt can generate him 7 st6 attacks on the charge.

You can also try pinning it in place using forests.

There isnt any easy way of killing it though.
Although I forget what leadership it has....perhaps if you got lucky with a highborn with the spirit sword.

greendan
10-06-2008, 00:32
Use two Treemen.
Charge it with the wild rider guys (in conjunction with said Treemen if possible!).
I play empire and the steam tank is useful for a few turns until it loses wounds. But it is generally a good points denial unit that can hold a large portion of the enemies force in place (if they decided to engage it).
Or try to avoid it and take out everything else.
:chrome:

pkain762
10-06-2008, 00:36
i don't play empire....but a guy at out store does and we always say that the steam tank has a better chance of destroying itself with it's steam points than you do killing it hahhaha

kain

xragg
10-06-2008, 00:49
Just ignore it. WE should be mobile enough to minimize anything a Stank could do to them.

neXus6
10-06-2008, 01:32
Best way I've seen is cast tree singing as much as possible and basiclly block the thing in with forests, it can't enter terrain. After that you might not get the 300 victory points, but essentially he'll be playing 300pts down. :D

Malorian
10-06-2008, 14:47
The bow of loren/arkain bodkins combo can work... eventually (come on lucky 6). Then again, as said all you need to do is remove a few wounds and then it's not as effective.

Beware it's steam attack though. It can just chase you and blast you the whole game if you try and ignore it.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
10-06-2008, 19:56
Tree sing the crap out of it and hit it with treemen... U hit it dont let it hit you! I think that your best bet is to nerf it using treesinging.

The Red Scourge
11-06-2008, 12:48
To take out a stank, you really need S7.

Take your treeman. 5 S6 attacks = 2.5 wounds at 4+ AS = 1.25 wounds.

Next turn the stank grinds and your treeman takes 7.5 S6 attacks = 3.75 Wounds at 6+ AS = 3.12 Wounds.

Doesn't take much to see, that this won´t be a fair fight. You'll probably dent the stank a bit, but you'll lose out in the end – and you need to take away all those 10 wounds to claim the victory points.

So I'd go with the treesinging. Make the bastard feel sorry he spent the points on the thing. With a bit of luck it'll tear itself apart ; )

scarletsquig
11-06-2008, 12:56
Knock 4-5 wounds off the thing, then ignore it and concentrate on the rest of the army. By that point, it'll be too damaged to have much of an impact on the game.

Although I forget what leadership it has....perhaps if you got lucky with a highborn with the spirit sword.
Unbreakable, auto-passes all characteristic tests other than initiative tests.

It's worth remembering that it treats difficult terrain as impassable terrain, so if you stick to the woods, you'll avoid the worst of it. wood elves are low save skirmishers for the most part, that won't be affected too badly by the steam gun.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 13:39
Tree Singing is the best tactic.
Would look awesome.
Last time I checked, Empire wasn't that anti-magic :\

fubukii
11-06-2008, 16:27
treesinging is the best bet.

PeG
11-06-2008, 16:53
Treesinging unless you are up against a list with lots of magic defence which for the moment is rare but might become more frequent due to the new VC and DoC armies.

Second option would be to stay away from it you are fast enough.

Third option would be arcane bodkins but the problem with this is that they usually have better targets. On the other hand just giving it a couple of wounds will have a large effect on how many steam points the empire player will try to get and thereby limiting the movement and attacks by the stank. Dont try to kill it with arrows you will spend the entire game shooting at it when you can kill the knights and other units.