PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points of Dwarfs (tourney)

Tanus
10-06-2008, 05:50
Hey folks!

I'm new to playing Dwarfs (and Fantasy in general). We're having a tournament coming up and I came up with this. This is in the 'Ard Boyz spirit, so I'm not too worried about being cheesy. What do you think?

1 Thane @ 142 Pts
General; Hand Weapon; Gromril Armor; Shield
Rune of Cleaving (x1); Rune of Fury (x1); Rune of Stone; Master Rune of Challenge

1 Thane (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 165 Pts
Hand Weapon; Gromril Armor; Battle Standard Bearer ; Rune of Fury (x2); Master Rune of Gromril

1 Runesmith (1#, 126 Pts)
Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Gromril Armor; Rune of Spellbreaking (x2)

1 Runesmith @ 149 Pts
Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Gromril Armor; Rune of Spellbreaking (x1); Spelleater Rune (x1)

10 Thunderers @ 150 Pts
Hand Weapon; Dwarf Handgun; Light Armour; Shield

10 Thunderers @ 150 Pts

10 Thunderers @ 150 Pts

10 Thunderers @ 150 Pts

19 Ironbreakers @ 253 Pts
Full Command

1 Bolt Thrower @ 110 Pts
Rune of Penetrating (x2); Engineer

1 Bolt Thrower @ 85 Pts
Rune of Penetrating (x1); Engineer

1 Cannon @ 110 Pts
Rune of Burning; Engineer

1 Gyrocopter @ 140 Pts

1 Organ Gun @ 120 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2000

My plan is to march block with the Gyrocopter and draw off any nasty CC units with the MRoC into the Ironbreakers.

Wolfmother
10-06-2008, 18:55
1 problem your doin an ard boys style touney right wheres thoric ironbrow?

also i would probably drop the cannon for another bolt thrower i would also try and increase the unit of iron breakers.

Fideru
10-06-2008, 21:03
I personally do not like the spelleater rune. It'd be better to have two more spellbreakers, or more Ironbreakers, maybe a Ro Forging?.

Just my opinion.

bork da basher
10-06-2008, 22:47
if your only going to have 1 combat unit make it at least another rank bigger and give the thane leading it an oathstone because it's going to get picked on.

i really dont think that many thunderers is required. if your intent on all shooting then i'd perhaps swap two units for quarrellers, the extra 6" of range can mean the differance if your cant move and fire. wood elves especially can keep out of range and pour fire on your head and you will only have your artillery to respond.

i'd drop the 2nd rune of penetrating on your bolt thrower and give it a rune of burning, S8 will do exactly the same as S7 in most cases.

i'd proberly ditch the spell eater rune on your runesmith, if your going for anything other than a spellbreaker rune then choose the rune of balance. im unsure whether two runesmiths are even needed. one with two spellbreakers should be sufficiant in most cases.

as tempting as gunlines are its a one trick pony and facing 40 thunderers + artillery isnt likely to win you any friends. if the tourney your using it in is scenario driven your army wont be flexible enough to pull it off in some cases. even in pitched battles horde armies will reach you with units large enough to take you apart. your one unit of ironbreakers though tough cant fight alone without support and committing your thunderers as flankers is easily done but it more or less takes away the reason for them being in the list in the first place if that makes sense lol.

i'd hate to play this army its daunting to face that much firepower and know you have to endure it for at least two turns before any combat gets going is scary.

Tanus
11-06-2008, 04:03
Thanks for the tips guys! My concern is that we've seen some really magic heavy armies in the past and I figured a lucky roll with the spelleater rune could save me some headaches down the line.

Back to the drawing board for some tweaking, if anyone else can comment, chime in!

kroq'gar
11-06-2008, 04:11
Is it worth turning some thunderers into quarrelers and tooling them for combat.This would give you a regiment for your second thane to hold (and remember an oathstone gives +1 magic resistance).

If your worried about shooting perhaps invest in the 5+ vs shooting magical banner- this will work against magical missiles as well as protecting your warmachines from the likes of great cannons.