PDA

View Full Version : WIP Dreadnought, "jugernought" style

Strikerkc
23-10-2005, 22:45
Well, while it's not exactly the same type of thing as the "jugernought" style of dread that was popular around for a while (actualy more influenced by this dread http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/m/GW/id/100008 ) it's the same feel.

Started work earlier today on this. It's going to end up in my Iron Warriors army. I've wanted to add a dread to it for a while now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/WIPchicken3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/WIPchicken2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/WIPchicken1.jpg

Things are done a bit differently than the one that gave some inspiration.

Upper half really still only looks like a loyalist torso so far, still getting the exact layout hammered out.

Any thoughts or comments? :)

malika
23-10-2005, 22:48
Very original...I mean you're using lascannons right?:eek: I would go for trying to make a sort of different torso, because when you would put the normal torso on top of it, well it would just look at like ATAT (or was it ATST) walker from Star Wars.

GamesmasterZ
23-10-2005, 22:49
I love it.

Please...updates.

tzeentchgiant
23-10-2005, 22:51
The legs look great, really dynamic and powerful looking, the whole mini's going to be very imposing.

TG

Strikerkc
23-10-2005, 22:54
As far as the troso goes, I'm going to try and keep the weapons similar to the "inspiration" one, but give it a head that is similar to this one http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/m/GW/id/96616

it'd look good set low torso like that.

Anvils Hammer
23-10-2005, 22:57
it looks great, the use of lascannons for legs looks good.

tzeentchgiant
23-10-2005, 23:06
Cool head idea, it'll work well, maybe on the arms, expanding from the original's double shoulder joint (the extra spacer between the body and the arm) why not add in an extra joint? Make it more arm like, with greater posability, this may not be necessary on the lascannon arm but on the power fist, well, at the moment I'm thinking power arm.

Could work, I think it's certainly a posiblity you could experiment with.

TG

Strikerkc
23-10-2005, 23:10
So far I'm planning a missile launcher on the left side. If I do a close combat arm then I'll make sure to make it spiffy for sure ;).

Puffin Magician
23-10-2005, 23:20
Making the weapons look beefier in general would be an improvement. Big powerpacks, lots of cables and armour on these things.

I rather like Kaaijer's "extended-reach" powerfist conversion [used a Sentinel foot I think] so you could use that, or do you have something, again, a little different? Claws? Servo-vice? Sawblade?

The legs themselves are great, use of Lascannon barrels is something I've not seen before and provides a surprisingly good look of actuators and suspension. The scratch-made pistons are a simple yet integral detail.

Luke
23-10-2005, 23:34
hmmm, i like it. i used to be all into those backward looking legs (like a chickens) but i never thought it would suit a dread. then again, i always thought they would look too skinny. but youve obviously been able to bulk them out sufficiently and kept them stumpy enough to work.

good job, cant wait to see the rest of the build. as for the head, i dunno, im not a big fan of dreads with heads, but i do like the half concealed look FW has going for it.

Strikerkc
01-11-2005, 00:57
Ok, did some work on the main body and missile launcher.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/IWDread.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/IWDread2.jpg

Decided not to go with the head I was planning because it's apeal started to wear on me... that and bits ordering the sprue would cost me almost $25....

So I went with a more "faceless killer" look. put another lense/sensor asembly in the lower middle torso, and filled the rest of the space with more guns (no mistaking this one as anything but Iron Warriors ;)). Torso is also on a pivot mount so it still moves and is removable.

I also changed out the missiles in the launcher arm for some that look a little more heafty (front off of IG mortar rounds).

Haven't hooked the missile launcher arm on yet, so it may get more dynamic.

Any thoughts on the curent form? :)

New Cult King
01-11-2005, 01:01
This looks hell wicked :D

For the arms, I would suggest that since the legs are so tall, have the arms kinda low-slung, so the weapons are level with the white tube hydraulic thingies...

And put a bigger Havoc launcher on it's back - it IS an IW Dread, after all ;)

Jericho
01-11-2005, 05:48
I agree, more human arms (think MechWarrior style) would suit this guy quite a bit. You don't want it to look like a regular Dread body on some stork legs do you?

I say use Furioso arms with sponson sized gun barrels added on the end. The Dreadnought arms have elbows and droop down in a more human way :cool:

Rabid Bunny 666
01-11-2005, 09:15
that is HELLASWEET DUDE!

that rocks, any tutorials on how to do the legs?

StugMeister
01-11-2005, 09:20
Great looking dread. I love what you've done with the legs!

Puffin Magician
01-11-2005, 11:18
I'm glad you didn't go along with the head idea, but I agree with others... make these weapons appropriately sized for a much larger Dreadnought this has now become. Right now it looks a bit weedy like the Catapult from Mechwarrior; a spindly little bugger with huge twin LRM20s on it's shoulders, but other than that is little more than a ball with stork legs.

Bulkier weapons [like I said 8 days ago], and making them more articulated with tons of fuel lines and energy cables would give it a nice 'dirty tech' look that befits the Iron Warriors so. I would done a larger missile launcher with longer tubes, sort of like a beefy Havoc Launcher.

that rocks, any tutorials on how to do the legs?
I'm pretty sure that it's cool with Kaaijer that I post this (http://www.freewebs.com/dammekkos/1.htm) here, the Juggernaut was his. I emailed him a while ago and he linked me to the tutorial. Props to Kaaijer for starting all the Juggernaunt madness.

tzeentchgiant
01-11-2005, 15:44
I agree with Puffin on this one, and i must also say, the position of the higher up missile launcher looks a bit odd, or rather, the support it has attached to it add some more power lines and things to it, to make it look like it won't fall off.

TG

kermit
01-11-2005, 16:04
Oh man! I am so glad that I decided to magnetize my dread... now I can take one of the lower torsos apart to try what you have done.

Looks great! Can't wait to see more.

RdDragon5
01-11-2005, 19:05
*sigh* fond memories of Portent. I saw a jugernought (maybe the orginal?) on these forums back when they were Portent. He had used sentinal legs, and beefed them up with aromour, extended the power fist, and powered up the lascannons. I still have the pictures on my computer if you'd like a look, just remember I didn't build it.

As for your cool looking jugernought I like the lascannon legs (might save me some cash on buying a sentinal), but were did you get the thigh portions from? Why not try adding in more sensors, one tiny lense seems like it would make the dreadnaught have tunnel vision.

Strikerkc
01-11-2005, 19:12
The thighs still use absolutly all the parts of the normal dreanought legs.

I asmebled the legs as usual. Then cut it in half. Used the upper portion as the thigh and the lower portions to form that complex looking system of pistons and servos in the under cariage. Kind of tricky to see, but it's actualy fairly simple (besides having to make sure you don't damage any part of the legs).

self biased
01-11-2005, 19:34
perhaps some kind of dangly loincloth thing as well?

tzeentchgiant
01-11-2005, 20:57
RdDragon5, the original "juggernaught" style dread was infact the one posted by Puffin (although it wasn't him who made it).

I also remember it fondly, a very cool revolutionary piece of kit it is.

TG

RdDragon5
02-11-2005, 01:57
Do you know who built it tzeentchgiant? I was going to post the pics, but I wanted to credit the builder. Oh and fond sweet memories of Porten hmm?

Strikerkc
02-11-2005, 03:21
Do you know who built it tzeentchgiant? I was going to post the pics, but I wanted to credit the builder. Oh and fond sweet memories of Porten hmm?

Check earlier in the thread, Puffin already posted them :)

Any how, no new pics yet but I'm curently working on a more underslung plasma cannon arm for it :).

x-esiv-4c
02-11-2005, 13:53
I like the conversion, you might have an issue with center of mass however.

Hideous Loon
02-11-2005, 14:28
x-esiv: It's a Dreadnought, built to preserve a battle-scarred Space Marine and make him more powerful, and you worry about CENTER OF MASS? Sheesh.

Nice one, Strikerkc. Can't wait to see more of it.

Lavfluris
02-11-2005, 15:57
RdDragon5, the original "juggernaught" style dread was infact the one posted by Puffin (although it wasn't him who made it).As Engel will attest, Puffin's mate was not the first person to have made a Juggernaught on Portent/WarSeer as on older member called rozonus did so, but was rather lazy in posting up pics of it. Fame would have been his if he did. :p

Strikerkc
02-11-2005, 19:07
Ok, done some more.

I made the torso sit a little higher by placing an old IG hatch top between them (still swivle mounted though :)).

Hacked apart an old screwed up assualt cannon arm for use with the plasma cannon arm. Bulk of the arm is made of the weapon mutation from the defiler, and a portion of the close combat arm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/IWDread5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/IWDread4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/IWDread3.jpg

tzeentchgiant
02-11-2005, 19:17
I love the "low slung" feel of the model, it looks great, sort of like it's just advancing in an area of possible ambush, very cool.

TG

cpl_hicks
02-11-2005, 19:21
dont know if anyone has said it but its ED-209

always wanted one of those

warlordgrubnatz
02-11-2005, 20:23
Looks very good. my only suggestion would be to add some more chaod stuff. Just some spikes or some iron warriors emblems.

Strikerkc
02-11-2005, 21:17
Looks very good. my only suggestion would be to add some more chaod stuff. Just some spikes or some iron warriors emblems.

Oh it's certainly not done yet. I'm still focusing on getting the structure of it down. Trust me, it will get blinged out just fine:cool:.

Puffin Magician
02-11-2005, 21:43
Nice progress, and clever use of bits for a suitably 'techno' Plasma Cannon. We all know what Iron Warriors are painted like, but what else will be different about the model when it's done? Something on the Missile Launcher, perhaps an Iron Warriors icon or some extra Missiles [or cotton rocket exhaust if that's your thing], would help balance the model out. Banners on the back? Chains/loincloth on the front?

...it's ED-209
Nah, 209 was blue and didn't have missiles for a face. :p

...Rozonus did so, but was rather lazy in posting up pics of it.
I don't remember him talking about the conversion, but I do know he's almost as bad as me when it comes to actually producing some models [which is never].

Strikerkc
02-11-2005, 23:19
Nice progress, and clever use of bits for a suitably 'techno' Plasma Cannon. We all know what Iron Warriors are painted like, but what else will be different about the model when it's done? Something on the Missile Launcher, perhaps an Iron Warriors icon or some extra Missiles [or cotton rocket exhaust if that's your thing], would help balance the model out. Banners on the back? Chains/loincloth on the front?

Think I'll see about the chain tabard, they're simple enought to do and I've got more than enough green stuff.

Don't think I'll do a banner or anything, and cotton smoke always looks so odd to me (even th really well done stuff) and I think it should just be kept for diaramas.

I'll certainly be adding more chaos symbols to it (some with paint, some actualy modeled). Want to add a partial chaos star on the missile launcher arm for sure. Wish I still had some of those chaos stars from the accesory sprue around (made their way onto my 4 other vehicles...)

Will eigther add symbols of some sort to the front torso, or just more armor of some kind.

Izram
03-11-2005, 04:09
I love what you have, dont cheapen it too much with bling and periphery attire.

I think some trophy racks and some stretched skin would be fine, not too many dangly bits. Some simple battle damge would be nice as well.

But please, don't over-bling it!

Puffin Magician
03-11-2005, 12:09
I agree with Izram, add some pieces that'll make it stand out but don't take it too far... subtle conversions usually look the best.

Want to add a partial chaos star on the missile launcher arm for sure.
I'd suggest making the star out of plasticard [with rivets and such], or try and copy the Iron Warriors Legion symbol and put that there instead. That, with some chains and a bit of extra armour would be just enough to finish this gem off.

maraxis
03-11-2005, 17:35
I do really like the legs and appreciate the amount of conversion that went into this so far, but I think it is a bit too narrow in the shoulders to go with the size of the rest. You might want to consider expanding the torso/shoulders with some washers or flex out the arms to give it horrizontal mass

Easy E
03-11-2005, 22:47
I like the sarcophogi on this dread. Keep up the good work! You obviously put a ton of effort into the new leg design.

rabid stoat
04-11-2005, 00:59
I like it.

One problem I see however, at least IMHO, is that the missile launcher looks too small compared to the heavier plasma cannon, it seems lop-sided. I wouldn't recommend making it any wider at the shoulders though, the legs look GOOD, but not that strong. Also, How will your opponents know that's a plasma cannon? Looks like a scaled down battle cannon to me.

DOn't get me wrong though, its the best Dread I've seen for quite a while. Make more! :D

Velkyn Kyil
04-11-2005, 01:32
I agree with the poster above. The Missile launcher looks a bit small. I think you should chop the bottom off it and add another one underneath to make it a biiig missile launcher rack. It looks like the right arm is heavier than the missile launcher....

New Cult King
04-11-2005, 05:44
That right arm is looking tough, and I'll second Kelkyn Kyil's suggestion abgout the double launcher.

Strikerkc
04-11-2005, 18:27
While the double launcher idea is interesting, there would just be way to many missile on the dread if I added any more. I think 3 different missile launchers on one Dread is plenty ;)

How will your opponents know that's a plasma cannon?

It's the only thing it could be. It's certainly not twin linked las-cannons, heavy bolters, auto cannons, or a melta :D.

Any how, sorted through my bits and found that I sitll had two of the chaos star vehicle symbols, so I put those on instead of messing about with green stuff or plasticard.

Only thing I can really think of to do now, it remove those three vertical bars on the left side of the sarcofagous, they always scream "converted plastic dreadnought" to much for my tastes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/IWDread6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Strikerkc/IWDread7.jpg

Unseeing Eye
04-11-2005, 18:52
Its obviously done with a great deal of skill, but it looks far too top heavy for my likes.

The_Dark_Raven
28-12-2009, 23:56
This looks hell wicked :D

For the arms, I would suggest that since the legs are so tall, have the arms kinda low-slung, so the weapons are level with the white tube hydraulic thingies...

And put a bigger Havoc launcher on it's back - it IS an IW Dread, after all ;)

I love this project to bits!

And i would agree with King on this one, when it comes to the arms try and level them out with the legs being so lengthy. Maybe not as low slung that they are level with the hydraulic tubes, but just above or about that would be right in terms of making the dread look...'right'.

Though this is a Dread and not a human, so the sky is the limit!

alexh
29-12-2009, 20:10
I love this project to bits!

And i would agree with King on this one, when it comes to the arms try and level them out with the legs being so lengthy. Maybe not as low slung that they are level with the hydraulic tubes, but just above or about that would be right in terms of making the dread look...'right'.

Though this is a Dread and not a human, so the sky is the limit!

You do realise this thread is 4 years old, he's probably finished it by now.