PDA

View Full Version : Pistoleers or Outriders?

jpf1982
10-06-2008, 16:04
Okay empire players...

Pisotleers or Outriders; yeah pistoleers can move and shoot, but in units of 5 it's 10 shots at 8" for pistoleers or 15 shots and 24" with the outriders. I figure both have their use, but what do you all think sounds like the better unit for general use?

Marwynn
10-06-2008, 16:24
For general use Pistoliers because you'll always find a use for them. They're Fast Cav with all the march-blocking and warmachine hunting goodness therein.

Outriders don't operate the same way. They're fast cav so that they have 360 shooting and are semi-mobile bunkers.

In other words, you need a specific plan for Outriders but you can fit Pistoliers in with your existing plans.

Condottiere
10-06-2008, 16:28
If I was fairly sure that I could safely march Outriders down one side and have a nice view of my opponents flank, I'd say they were the better bet.

Lord Khabal
10-06-2008, 16:31
yeah, but if you move them they don't shoot...

Thanous
10-06-2008, 19:27
Depends on the rest of your army. If you want to deny mobility and march block, pistols. If you just want to pepper as much as possible before the close combats start, go outriders. Neither one can shoot if the table is just going to turn into a giant scrum, so get in as many shots as you can. It may seem counter intuitive, but pistols are actually better at helping your army sit back and shoot then the outriders are.

Better yet, use both.

lparigi34
10-06-2008, 19:36
Take one of each and do not deploy them till the end, your oponnent will spend energies guessing on what flank will go each.

Finally deploy the Outriders where the shooting is most nedded and Pistoliers where diverting is.

If you take the 1st turn, then it is a great opportunity for Outriders to find their position in the field, as they could not have shot that turn anyway.

Irisado
10-06-2008, 20:38
I personally prefer Pistoliers due to their greater flexibility, but Outriders are the better choice if you really want to shoot the opposing army to pieces before they get near you.

Outriders may work better when you are up against an opponent who you suspect will come to you, meaning that you will have the opportunity to unleash more shots, as you won't have to spend so many turns manoeuvring your Outriders into a good firing position.

I tend to use Pistoliers as a supporting unit for my Knights on the flanks, and they work much better in this role than Outriders due to their ability to move and fire, thus, as others have said, it which unit to take does depend on the your army composition.