PDA

View Full Version : New Orks army underway

KrisPicman
10-06-2008, 16:50
Yes you read that correctly no longer will I be posting "Im starting a new army" or "Tell me about these guys". I am firmly cemented in Orkoid beliefs, customs etc. I just bought the battle force, a boss and another trukk.
I am reading the book currently and I want to know everything about orks. I would love to see everything you can/want to tell me about these lovely green monstrosities
from painting tips to indepth discussions about taktiks to fluff.
When I say everything I mean everything besides some smart*** telling me they're big, green and killy ok?
Just to give you some motivation/ideas...
Speed Freeks
DAKKA!
Waaagh!
Nobz

Now post yous lousy gitz POST!

scientist tz
10-06-2008, 20:15
Burbank, IL eh? Did you ever game at the Dungeon up there on 79th?

You want to start with a solid core of Boyz. The new boxed set is nice because it gives you a Nob with a Power Klaw per 10 Orks. This is more power klaw than you need unless you're going to be putting all your mobs in trukks.

Build a mob of 19 Orks and one Nob with a power klaw.

Use a spare Nob torso and extra power klaw bits to convert a warboss on a bike. The bike warboss is a goddamned monster at T5(6) and S6 on the charge. He'll spank a Bloodthirster if you roll good. You might as well do this now because you're going to want one eventually anyway.

Next Build a Trukk and 12 Ork mob to ride in it. It wouldn't hurt to have a power klaw in there too.

It might not be a bad idea to get a box of tankbustas. The Boyz with rokkits will be needed in your regular mobs as upgrades. Don't plan on running straight tankbustas. They haven't been pulling their weight in my army.

The metal warboss is pretty good with his stock parts (i.e no Klaw) but that's going to change in 5th edition when it's harder to hide from power klaws.

I'm not sure buying another trukk was such a good idea. The ideal initial purchase would have been Battleforce + KFF Mek + More Boyz + More Boyz.

KrisPicman
10-06-2008, 21:35
Burbank, IL eh? Did you ever game at the Dungeon up there on 79th?

You want to start with a solid core of Boyz. The new boxed set is nice because it gives you a Nob with a Power Klaw per 10 Orks. This is more power klaw than you need unless you're going to be putting all your mobs in trukks.

Build a mob of 19 Orks and one Nob with a power klaw.

Use a spare Nob torso and extra power klaw bits to convert a warboss on a bike. The bike warboss is a goddamned monster at T5(6) and S6 on the charge. He'll spank a Bloodthirster if you roll good. You might as well do this now because you're going to want one eventually anyway.

Next Build a Trukk and 12 Ork mob to ride in it. It wouldn't hurt to have a power klaw in there too.

It might not be a bad idea to get a box of tankbustas. The Boyz with rokkits will be needed in your regular mobs as upgrades. Don't plan on running straight tankbustas. They haven't been pulling their weight in my army.

The metal warboss is pretty good with his stock parts (i.e no Klaw) but that's going to change in 5th edition when it's harder to hide from power klaws.

I'm not sure buying another trukk was such a good idea. The ideal initial purchase would have been Battleforce + KFF Mek + More Boyz + More Boyz.

Yup I used to go up there all the time. I never really got any games in back then since I didnt know how to play I just collected the models & books. Now I make an odd appearance at the GW in Orland. Its a shame that the Dungeon went under. I was so pissed when I found that out. I never really found out or understood why it did considering it was always packed especially when the would hold those yugioh (or however you spell it) tournaments. Do you have any clue what happened? Are you from around Burbank?

Well I already made the purchase and i have to live with my decision but hey Im going to have to do with what I have got. I just wish I could get rid of my damn Chaos Space Marines! So I'd have a litte more money to get some more Ork stuff. Anyways yes Im planning to put my entire army on wheels for right now. Since I am probably going to be fighting small points value games its nice to make the enemy fight on my terms.
Im going to be making a list within the next 10 minutes.
So far this is just off of the top of my head with what little knowledge I have...
1 warboss
10 boyz
1 trukk
10 boyz
1 trukk
3 war bikers
Ya think I can squeeze that into a 500pt list?

AfroCelt
10-06-2008, 22:56
definitely post your army list ideas in the army list forums.

I'd highly recommend getting at least a few more boyz, as you're going to want to have te maximum of 11 boyz and a nob per trukk...it just works better

As far as points, you're looking at around 400 for:

-11 Trukkboyz and a nob with powerklaw, bosspole in a trukk with reinforced ram and red paint job

-11 Trukkboyz and a nob with powerklaw, bosspole in a trukk with reinforced ram and red paint job

-Warboss with Cybork Body, Powerklaw, attack squig.

That exact list hits 429 points. To save some points you could drop the nob entirely in one trukkboy mob and replace it with the warboss (you could grab his powerklaw for the warboss as well!). That'd leave you about 100 points for the three warbikers in the battleforce and even a nob for the warbikers too!

Grimbad
10-06-2008, 23:01
The Armaggedon 3 website is invaluable. It's not technically available anymore, but you can access it here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070314205120/www.armageddon3.com/English/Campaign/Troops/ork_forces.html
What is great about it is the background bits and the depth it goes into in terms of Waaagh! composition. For example, a while back I figured an estimate of the gargants/boyz ratio.

Warbands range from 600-3,000 boyz with associated vehicles and artillery. Let's take the average and say a warband is 1800 boyz. The total number of warbands on the page: 1307, if I added right. Multiply by 1800... about 2352600 boyz on the ground at a time, but I suspect more warbands leaned towards the 3,000-boy category in Ghazzie's horde. Anyways, let's assume that's the number of boyz on Armageddon, as more probably waited in orbit, crewed/built war machines, or raided nearby systems. So now the gargant tally: 108 (possibly 107, one gargant has a (?) next to it).
2352600/108= 1 gargant for every 21783 boyz during Ghazkull's second invasion.

Orks are great fun in apocalypse, and less expensive to field in Apocalypse as well, as you can quickly, cheaply, and effectively build ork superheavies. (note: scratchbuilding is my favorite thing about orks. Give it a try, and if you don't like how it comes out, practice. If your first vehicle looks too ramshackle to be killy, try making your cuts with a protractor and straight-edge. Conversely, if your work is too plain, put random bits onto it.)
As it gets me grumpy when people express misconceptions about the orky apocalypse units, I'll try to steer you clear beforehand:
-Stompas are short and squat. Four structure points does not mean bigger than a warhound, it means more structurally sound than a warhound. Warhounds have long skinny vulnerable legs. Stompas don't. Stompas should be between 6" and 8" in height (the ones featured in the Apocalypse book are approximately 7.5" tall) and if it's much taller than that, it falls into the Supa Stompa size category.
-Skullhammas are not looted baneblades. If you want to build one, don't feel obliged to go buy a baneblade kit. The example skullhamma in the Apocalypse book happens to be based on the plastic baneblade kit, which was released in 2007.
The original Skullhamma model was released for Epic in 1994 (I believe).
http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994105-03.htm
It's worth looking at more of the ork stuff on that page, some of those old battlewagons were very cool and very distinctive.

Grubnar
11-06-2008, 04:19
http://www.the-waaagh.com/home.htm (http://www.the-waaagh.com/home.htm)

There you can find anything and everything that has to do with the Orkz.
Background, modeling, konverting, painting, gaming, etc. EVERYTHING!
In my experience it is the single best site on the internet about all things orky!

Metaphorazine
11-06-2008, 07:54
http://www.the-waaagh.com/home.htm (http://www.the-waaagh.com/home.htm)

There you can find anything and everything that has to do with the Orkz.
Background, modeling, konverting, painting, gaming, etc. EVERYTHING!
In my experience it is the single best site on the internet about all things orky!

Seconded. For orky inspiration, it's a brilliant site.

Congratulations on going green, you won't regret it (except when you stare at the horde of unpainted plastic figs spread across a desk and three shelves, all waving choppas angrily at you and demanding paint...)

As for orky tactics, just remember this easy strategy. Dakka them. Krump 'em. Loot 'em.