PDA

View Full Version : Is Dark Insanity worth it?

OldMaster
10-06-2008, 23:48
Last year, I bought a Bloodthirster to finish off my Khorne army. Could you imagine my joy when the new armybook was born and my Bloodthrister suddenly had access to no less than nine Deamonic Gifts and dropped in cost by 200 points!
Problem is, there are only 100 points to spend and I want my Bloodthirster to gain all those points back. Any suggestions as on which gifts I should take? I do not believe in the -3+ save, nor in the dispell scroll. I'm mostly playing against elfkin, so S 6 is more than enough :)
So, my Bloodthirster currently wears his brass armour of Khorne and has Dark Insanity with Immortal Fury. Average nine attacks which hit on 3+ with re-rolls is something Wood Elves should fear, right? Or is it not worth it?

EDIT: Note that I understand I can't use him in my mortal army anymore. Though, tbh, I don't care what GW says. Chaos is chaos and I will always combine it as I like (well, with permission of my opponent, of course :) )

Neknoh
11-06-2008, 00:02
You know, after one game, your opponent will be really rather scared of that thirster xD

But yeah, it's a good kittout and works. You wouldn't happen to have points left for the Armour or Collar? Don't have me book handy atm

theunwantedbeing
11-06-2008, 00:12
Seems worth taking that setup.
You only have to worry about getting a low number of attack's.

snyggejygge
11-06-2008, 00:31
I think that paying 55 pts for an average of +2 attacks is a bit too much, especially when considering that you might actually get less attacks than normal. It wasnīt good in earlier editions (Arbaal used to have it) & it isnīt greeat now either...

Fulgrim's-Chosen
11-06-2008, 01:11
An oft-used alternative is:

Armor of Khorne

Immortal Fury-YOU MUST ALWAYS, ALWAYS, TAKE THIS WITH A THIRSTER ;)

Axe of Khorne (Killing Blow is fairly useful against enemy Characters)

Collar of Khorne

OR (perhaps superior)

Obsidian Armor

Immortal Fury

Axe of Khorne//Firestorm Blade (depending on your opponent)

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 07:37
We'll have a 4,000 points battle Sunday, two against two, with my team being 4,00 points of deamons and my brother's team being 2,000 points High Elves and 2,000 Wood Elves...
But, he's not that experienced XD
So, actually, I think I could smash his face with the Thirster only.... Wood Elves have nothing that can withstand his power if he swings his axe reasonably straight...
Though HE mean Blot Throwers :|
Very mean bolt throwers.
Of course, there is no problem for me to hide behind terrain in Athel Loren :rolleyes:
I've hired 4x 5 Furies, too xD must be enough...

By the way, I think the only reason it is worth 55 points is because they didn't want to be tempted to make the Herald be able to take it...

Jagosaja
11-06-2008, 07:59
On the other hand you may get 14 attacks and obliterate anything laying in your path. I'd say go for it!

Fulgrim's-Chosen
11-06-2008, 09:12
Absolutely that's why.

Actually...that's probably THE only reason Dark Insanity costs as it does:

*** A Herald (Hero) with 2d6+2 Attacks, instead of "3", naturally, would be the absolute best buy in the army. I don't care if you are giving up your 0+ Armor Save, when you can be rolling 8-10 attacks which are Killing Blow (naturally) from a Herald, plus 2 more from his Juggernaut (mandatory equipment anyways, IMHO). Oh...did we forget to mention the Hatred re-rolls for misses on the first round ? They are also STR-6 hits, let's remember, so -3 Armor Saves to everything he's hitting automatically. Few units in the game could take that kind of abuse on the charge. Ouch.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 12:30
And no units can ignore that at all :)

Yeah, well, they could have made it 50 points, but just don't include that in the Herald options... I mean, a Herald of Slaanesh can't take the Temptator, either.

shartmatau
11-06-2008, 16:03
the reason its 55 points is so that it cannot be taken with obsidian armor.

personally i think Ob Armor is a better buy than Dark Insanity. After that its whatever you feel like they are all ok. Its kind of a toss up in this fight your about to play to take firestorm. Against HE you might not be able to hurt his best units but against WE you can hurt his best units even better.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 16:11
High Elves have a unit with a higher Toughness than 3....?
Or did you mean armour saves?

Finnigan2004
11-06-2008, 16:13
He probably meant forest spirits.

Malagant
11-06-2008, 17:35
I've been toying with a Bloodthirster, and have run some games with him with Dark Insanity.

I've learned that I'm a below average person, because in nearly every fight he was in I've actually ended up with fewer attacks than I would have had without this "gift".

I will not be taking it again. I know this is bitter and jaded, but I won't pay 55 points for a "gift" that has the potential to take away attacks.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 17:44
By the way, S 10 is SURE a waste of points, isn't it?
If I want a Strength bonus, I give him a Firestorm Blade :\

snyggejygge
11-06-2008, 20:08
Not really, S10 helps you take out stanks, ignore armoursaves totally, wound dragons on 2+ (while Firestorm Blade actually hurts you vs elven dragons) & even in a challenge w. an Archlector w. Speculum you get to keep S10 due to the wording, therefore having a big chance of killing his altar & thereby winning despite him getting the best profile.

It does however cost a little too much since you canīt afford any protection if you take it.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 20:44
Yeah, well, either protection or Eternal Hatred :\
But again, against Wood Elves you never need more than S 6 :cool:

theunwantedbeing
11-06-2008, 20:57
The reason it's 55pts is to stop the daemon prince having access to it.

innerwolf
11-06-2008, 21:01
Yeah, well, either protection or Eternal Hatred :\
But again, against Wood Elves you never need more than S 6

Oh, and Treeman Ancient? You will miss your strength 7-10 when you hit on 6's a toughness 6, 6 wounds model.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 21:33
Bro doesn't have one :)
But yeah, S 7 flaming would help out there much...
Well, maybe I'll consider Firestorm Blade the next time. And I can give him a scroll if I REALLY want to...

minionboy
11-06-2008, 21:58
Don't forget you can get a Daemon Prince with Dark Insanity and Winged Horror or Armor of Khorne. Going from 5A to 2D6+2 for a Prince would be a pretty significant upgrade.

edit: I'm dumb, prince can only spend 50 on the greater daemon upgrades...

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 22:17
Just a misread, guy, no reason calling yourself dumb ^^
Yeah, woud be pretty awesome.

Now we touched this subject, are there any POSSIBLE good builds with the Deamon Prince? :S
I mean, I still have that Be'lakor model.