Models in Army: 80

Total Army Cost: 2250

Wight king goes in grave guard, he is my challenge character:
T6
2+ save
5+ killing blow
+1 to hit (Grave guard)
I always give him helm of command except in extreme circumstances

my vampire runs around. i start him off in a unit then have him move to the back of my lines.

so I've had success with this list, I was just wondering what you guys thought of it
My record with the various iteration's of the list is 6-1

Malorian
11-06-2008, 21:05
Lord: I can't stand it when dedicated summoners have forbidden lore. Drop it and either use the points to get an extra lvl through dark acolyte, or take dark acolyte anyway and drop the 50 point regular upgrade to save points.

Wightlord: No reason to give him that armor. Save the points.

Necromancer: I've never thought it was worth this guy knowing more than 1 spell.

Ghouls: Might as well make them skeletons.

Black knights: Get a few extra with from the point costs from above or drop some of that command. Five knights get wiped out to easily.

Everything else looks fine.

Conkers
12-06-2008, 01:45
1.) I dont do a lot of summoning,and also I tend to go lore of metal. I just have Lord of the dead just in case I play like a gun-line or something.

2.) It's a toss up of taking the armor or not because if i dont use helm of command on my grave gaurd he's hitting everything on 4s, It just becomes a little less flexible

3.) Added flexibilty, sometimes I need vanhels to go off

4.) Its more of a bodyguard unit for my vampire. I see the logic in your arguement, but I'd have to buy even more skeletons.

5.) Typo on my part, there are 6 of them.

Stinkfoot
12-06-2008, 01:58
You are really shooting yourself in the foot by not summoning more. IoN is quite possibly the best spell in the game, especially when you have LotD. If you gave the vampire lord Dark Acolyte, MotBA and the regular level upgrade, he could throw 10 dice, one at a time, casting IoN, you will dominate the magic phase and turn your skeletons into unstoppable wrecking crews.

To be honest, I think you're foolish not taking necromancy anyway, as Danse is also an incredible spell, and you can cast it repeatedly. That spell has won me many a game.

Dark_Mage99
12-06-2008, 12:00
Would be a bit hard to throw 10 dice into it with one character, unless you're Mannfred after a round of combat.

I like the list; it looks good. Lore is awesome because it allows late tailoring to any army, and knowing you always have IoN means you can still raise very easily indeed.

Stinkfoot
12-06-2008, 17:22
Err, eight dice. Still, it's a good combo for a caster character.

Andrew Luke
12-06-2008, 17:32
I'd swap the hatred banner and banner of the barrows. Why? When knights are forced to pursue, they end up 3D6 away from your line, with GG, they will only jump 2D6, and they arrive later and so will be better supported... by the knights!

dinobot
13-06-2008, 01:47
The great weapons for the grave guard should be 18 points, you're exploiting a typo and you'll probably run into trouble if someone catches you in a serious game.

Also, you're whole game plan seems off. You're giving the skeletons banners that add to combat res, but you're saying you aren't going to raise them much? You won't break anyone if you don't outnumber them and they'll be outclassed by most other infantry units.

You also don't seem to have much killing power. Your grave guard, vampires and varghulf will be the only things really dishing out damage. Your black knights only get 6 good attacks a turn (and only on a charge), so they're more of a flanker, but since your anvils won't outnumber anyone they'll easily get tied down in combat and killed. If you're planning to make full use of the black knights, they probably won't be in range of the helm of command, so the wight king will be very useless with his -3 weaponskill.

What you need is more troops and maybe another rare choice. Free up some points by getting rid of the skeletons magic banners and the black knights banner altogther (remember, banner bonuses don't stack and black knights should be working with your infantry blocks who already have banners). You should also get rid of the accursed armour and one of the necromancers spells, as he only generates one dice (I'd recommend keeping van hals).

Loopstah
13-06-2008, 09:55
The great weapons for the grave guard should be 18 points, you're exploiting a typo and you'll probably run into trouble if someone catches you in a serious game.

I think he's added up the 18x1 in the total.

Even then the unit of Grave Guard he's listed is only 309pts not 322pts.

Conkers
14-06-2008, 01:30
1.) my wight king goes in the unit of GG, not knights. Its for the +1 to hit. he's a challenge character, he can kill grunts, but the way i run him, he shines againt anything that inst immune to KB. (I have found almost everyone forgets that their 1+ save lord of combat carnage is weak against this line of attack.

I did the math and RBOS is better first turn than BoB is. My knights are also ld6, so they are likely to pursue anyway.

@dinobot before making acusations like that, try adding up the unit cost next time.
Even so, It appears my grave guard are indeed miscalculated anyway, thanks loop.

Dino, you say my skeletons will just die, I say, 1. yes and 2. ION? It all comes down to terrain and troop deployment, and where I play that thing is a lost art. It seems strange to mention, but If i can create a favorable match up for my skeletons, then 15 models a unit becomes far less significant than you take it to be.

I should also clarify that I do raise, but only enough to suit my the purposes i need that unit to do.

Malagant
14-06-2008, 01:43
Do folks make concerted efforts to kill your Lord? He's looking quite naked...

I'd come up with a very similar list, though at 2k, and with a modicum of protection on the Lord. Overall I love your list, very much! Wouldn't mind reading some Battle Reports from you using this list!

Conkers
14-06-2008, 02:35
People have tried to kill him, but they give up after 1 or 2 turns usually. My lord has had hail of doom arrow shot at him twice, and he took a wound between those two.

you just need to be careful on where you move him, the only real issue is artillery and mages on hills. Careful is key. I've decided in future games, that if I don't feel I can have him running around alone, I'm sticking him in my ghoul unit to act as a bodyguard. (I just have trouble bring all my forces to bear at once so they tend to sit in the back as reserves.)

The campaign I'm in eventually gives me access to an extra 25 points of magic items so I'd probably give him wristbands for the 3+ ward. Yay!