PDA

View Full Version : Characters, Units, Panics, and Rally Test

Tarliyn
11-06-2008, 08:25
OK so this situation has happened twice now for my gaming group and the way we have handled it I feel is not entirely correct. I have found no faqs dealing with this issue, ok here it is:

Player 1 has a character in a unit 4 strong.

Player 2 shoots at above unit kill all the unit but not damaging the character.

The character in Player 1's unit panics and flees.

Now you have the character running due to the unit getting destroyed. Does he still count as part of that unit in regards to rallying (as in the unit is below quarter strength since it is all dead) or does he count as a character now and can just rally even though the unit was wiped out that caused him to take the panic test.

I personally think if the character paniced in a unit and said unit is wiped out then he should continue to not be able to rally. As the player wiping out the unit shouldn't be punished for doing something that should be good for him (destroying models) my gaming group played the opposite way. Where if the character was alone then he could rally.

Thanks guys,

Feel free to ask questions if I wasn't clear

Braad
11-06-2008, 08:54
I believe I read (or maybe participated) in a discussion about this quite some time ago.
IIRC it boiled down to something like, if there is no unit left, he's not part of it anymore, and he can rally.

If he and one trooper are left, and they flee together, they have to keep going. If for some reason the trooper dies while fleeing, the character can rally again.

I know, it sounds weird, that's also what I thought, but in a complex and huge game like this, you can't cover everything with a rule, or you'd have a rulebook that you need a truck for to carry around.

Condottiere
11-06-2008, 09:30
What Braad says sounds logical.

Assuming the character didn't panic, but the rest of the unit lies dead around him, he's automatically no longer part of that unit, so is no longer subject to either the benefits or penalties in having joined up with a unit.

Just for the record, if the character was within 6" of that particular unit, once that unit was wiped out, he would have had to take a panic test in any case.

T10
11-06-2008, 09:36
The simplest way to deal with the situation is to treat the now lone character as a new unit the moment the other models in the unit have been killed.

E.g. a character that has joined a unit that was immune to psychology, killing off the rank-and-file would make the character immediately susceptible to psychology.

As far as casualties and panic is concerned, I would take the panic test due to 25% or more casualties caused. The rules for panic are in no way "complete": it is even suggested that units take panic tests when the players feel the situation warrants it.

-T10

Tarliyn
11-06-2008, 09:53
so the general consensus is play it where the character can rally

though... not because the rules say or because it makes sense one way or another just because it is easier

ok well I guess I will admit defeat to my group and play it that way, can't win them all I guess (just most of them :D )

The Red Scourge
11-06-2008, 11:44
Thats why you should never stick your characters in units with more than six rank&file – this way there'll never be less than 25% left (except a lone character of course) ; )

Mercules
11-06-2008, 15:05
so the general consensus is play it where the character can rally

though... not because the rules say or because it makes sense one way or another just because it is easier

ok well I guess I will admit defeat to my group and play it that way, can't win them all I guess (just most of them :D )

Well the rules do say so. If the unit is killed around him the Character is no longer in the unit and is thus a unit of his own and can't be below 25%.

Lord Aries
11-06-2008, 16:21
According to the rules, once he is on his own, he is not part of a unit and can rally.

For further rules question, you should check out the Direwolf FAQS, they answer most questions like this.