PDA

View Full Version : 1000pts. of Slaanesh for a tournament.

MrBigMr
11-06-2008, 09:53
I enslited for a doubles tournament where one players has a 2000pts. army and other one a 1000pts. one. I'm going for the 1000pts. with my Slaaneshi daemons while the other player has 2000pts. of Chaos mortals.

I've come up with two lists, but don't know which one to pick. I'm aiming for speed and mobility. The mortal army can stick to survivability.

List 1:

Herald of Slaanesh
-General
-Etherblade
-Chariot of Slaanesh
= 215pts.

Daemonettes of Slaanesh (10x)
-Musician
= 126pts.

= 120pts.

Seekers of Slaanesh (6x)
-Musician
-Standard Bearer, Siren Standard
= 187pts.

Seekers of Slaanesh (6x)
-Musician
= 187pts.

Fiends of Slaanesh (3x)
= 165pts.

Total of 1000pts.

List 2:

Herald of Slaanesh
-General
-Etherblade
-Mount of Slaanesh
= 165pts.

= 120pts.

= 120pts.

Seekers of Slaanesh (6x)
-Full Command, Siren Standard
= 199pts.

Seekers of Slaanesh (5x)
= 175pts.

Fiends of Slaanesh (4x)
= 220pts.

Total of 999pts.

MrBigMr
11-06-2008, 19:59
Anyone? I haven't had much chance to try out my daemon army since the new book came out (work and all), even less mixed with mortal Chaos, so someone smarter could give some of their wisdom my way.

neXus6
12-06-2008, 00:55
Okay a couple of things.

1) Every point in a Daemon army matters, even at 2500pts I find myself struggling to fit in what I'd like :p. Don't take Champions if they are just there for the +1 attack it is a waste of points. If you want one as a challenge shield for the Herald that is okay though. I would also probably drop the musicians, they aren't (hopefully) going to be needed, as your speed allows you to pick your battles, hopefully stacked heavily in your favour anyway.

2) 10 Daemonettes is not enough. The are the core of your army, you need them at a fighting strength. A sizable unit supported by seekers or fiends in the enemies flank can do a lot of damage, even against T4 troops.

Soo personally I'd say edit the second army, as I feel Heralds are best used in units so they can make use of the Locus and on a steed you can move her into whatever unit you want to get ASF on.

Dropping 2 fiends, at least 1 champion and the 2 musicians you should just about have enough points to up the two Daemonette units to 15 strong with standards.

These 2 fast moving blocks, backed up by the ultra-fast support units should see you alright.

Lack of magic/anti-magic is going to hurt a bit, but some armies simply can't help that at such low points, you can always considering dropping down to 1 Fiend, or dropping a seeker and a couple of daemonettes, and making the Herald a Lvl 1 caster but it's up to you.
While personally I'm not sure about the Etherblade, I understand why you want it in there so you've got a dedicated can opener should you need to hit enemy Heavy Cav or T4 troops with a 3+ save or better.

You've got a fair bit of room to tinker with things to suit your style of play once you cut out any possibly unneeded things.

I've not really been looking at mono-slannesh in such low points, focusing more on 2000-2500pt armies, but I think the theory works at any size. Block units of Nettes backed up by fast stuff for flanking and the edge coming from Characters and Fiends. :)

Just remember, play very aggressive and hit the enemy fast and from multiple directions. :D

Nabeshin1106
12-06-2008, 01:20
At such a low point size, I would leave your Herald on foot. I find that they do more good in a block of Daemonettes than with Seekers, personally. I agree with neXus6 on the size of the Daemonette units, as well. I would run something like Herald (Etherblade, Lvl 1 mage) 2x 15 Daemonetes (Champ and Standard) 2x 5 Seekers (Champ and Standard) and 2 Fiends, maybe drop 1 Fiend for Siren Standards on the Seekers.

I run that list quite often, and it usually works out great.

MrBigMr
12-06-2008, 07:34
I'm not too worried about the foot 'nettes, as it's a doubles tournament and mortal Chaos with Warriors will fill in the center of the army and I'm sure he'll stack up on magic as well. We haven't much talked about the final lists, but I know my only concern is the fast flanking. His chariots and knights are sure to deal the punch, I'll just hold the enemy at bay.

I did come up with some thoughts last night, which go somewhat with what neXus said.

Herald of Slaanesh
-General
-Etherblade
-Mount of Slaanesh
= 165pts.

Daemonettes of Slaanesh (12x)
-Musician
= 150pts.

Daemonettes of Slaanesh (12x)
-Musician
= 150pts.

Seekers of Slaanesh (6x)
-Champion
= 193pts.

Seekers of Slaanesh (5x)
= 175pts.

Fiends of Slaanesh (3x)
= 165pts.

Total of 998pts.

Daemonettes are mostly fill in the mandatory core. I took musicians simply because they're cheap and there's always the chance of a tie. I know the champion seekers aren't that hot, but the one in the smaller unit is to suck up challenges away from the Herald and the other one was simply to fill in points. And even if just one attack, it can be a tie breaker on that first charge. My seekers have never lived that long in prolonged combat, so all the punch they can deliver is good. Etherblade seems like the best option for the Herald at this size. The more damage she can do before the enemy strikes back, the better.

And I just can't field anything other than 3 Fiends. I loved my pleasureseekers (I seem to be the only one) and these things are the same with even more goodness.

neXus6
13-06-2008, 02:41
That list looks okay, personally I'd go with 15/18 strong daemonettes just because I like my large block units, but 2 units in 2x6 formation should be fine. :)
Only suggestion...I think it works out points wise.
Drop the champion on the 6 strong Seeker unit, and make the 2 Daemonette unit's have standards.

+1 attack on a seeker unit, and musicians IF you draw is not going to be as much help as +1 CR always for both your core blocks.
It gets more out of the points. :)

MrBigMr
13-06-2008, 05:29
Ok, it's just that last time put standards into 'nette units, I was told not to. So go figure.

neXus6
13-06-2008, 16:18
Hmm...any particular reason?

Cause as I see it theres no negative to it. And it means if you've only got the 'Nettes and Fiends into a combat you've still got a banner.

The only reason I could see would be someone assuming that Daemonettes are just throw away troops used to fill the core choices. This couldn't be farther from the truth as they are fast and throw out a LOT of attacks, so can stand toe to toe with most other infantry in the game.

I would say standards would be pointless when just using the Daemonettes to fill out your core with minimum units, but in mono-slannesh you need the Daemonettes not only cause you have to take them, but cause they are pretty good, add some much needed static combat res and can survive against the enemy for a bit if your support units are otherwise engaged. :)

MrBigMr
13-06-2008, 17:23
Hmm...any particular reason?
I have no oppinion of my own and I'm easily intimidated by strange persons with one.

Nah, the real reason is that I have no math head or strategic thinking of any kind (apart from "hmm... this could work"), so I choose to have fun with what I got rather than calculate what works best with something else. As such I tend to ignore all the "good choices" for what I prefer. So no KoS for me, thank you very much, a DP is fine enough. Etc.

So while I did originally intend to choose to take banner purely on "they'll lose combat anyway, so a banner = one less wound to take", that's just me and my silly little brain. I can't tell when I'm right and when I'm not.

Just got me thinking, if they fail their instability and the banner goes, does the enemy get it? I tried reading the rulebook and it says that if they are destroyed in close combat, but I'm assuming that means that the enemy has to actually destroy them, no the "oh noes, I'm melting" thingy. At least in the old list when daemons went puff, so did their standard.