PDA

View Full Version : How should i tool out my empire general?

Gorthor21
11-06-2008, 13:17
Im debating over the kit of my empire general. Hes modeled as a guy holding his helmet in full plate with a handgun on his back and a sword sheathed in his other hand. kinda a simple conversion on my part but thats not the point...

my army is rather diverse in what it can do, but im curious as to how i should equip my general.

my list now has him with the handgun, full plate, SoRS, silver horn, and the white cloak.

the handgun is for just adding another AP shot to my volley and im not sure if is worth it, but its already modeled that way. the SoRS is there just incase the unit of spearmen he joins gets stuck in and needs a little boost in CC. The silver horn is to use rather later on in the game once enemy magic is hopefully exhausted and i can rally some fleeing unit that i could use again. and the white cloak is good for the 5+ ward.

im asking if there is a better way i could equip him as he's modeled since i like the character of his pose.

PS the AoMI is already on my gw toting warrior priest

scarletsquig
11-06-2008, 14:16
Handgun is fine, an extra BS 5 shot is never a bad thing.

With only full plate armour and a 5+ ward, he's going to die really quickly... I'd give the AoMI to your general instead, and keep the warrior priest cheap. You need your general to live. The cloak isn't bad, but I'd personally go for either the holy relic (extra protection) or the shroud of magnus to add magic resistance (2) to any unit he joins.

Silver horn is fine if you've got some other wizards to keep the opponent's dispel dice occupied. It's pretty much a one-trick magic item, so you need to save it for a crucial point in the game.

I would go for the sword of might instead if you need a cheap magic weapon, the strength 5 will add a lot more punch than hitting on a 2+. Most of the time you'll be hitting things on 3's anyway, so it doesn't make much difference for 30 points.

Empire generals are there to:

1) stay alive, provide leadership 9.
2) support the troops

At no point are they there to kill characters, pretty much every other charcter out there will splatter them if they spend points on offensive gear instead of defensive gear.

Have you considered using the guy as a captain and using your warrior priest as an arch lector to lead?

Kahadras
11-06-2008, 16:32
my list now has him with the handgun, full plate, SoRS, silver horn, and the white cloak.

the handgun is for just adding another AP shot to my volley and im not sure if is worth it, but its already modeled that way. the SoRS is there just incase the unit of spearmen he joins gets stuck in and needs a little boost in CC. The silver horn is to use rather later on in the game once enemy magic is hopefully exhausted and i can rally some fleeing unit that i could use again. and the white cloak is good for the 5+ ward.

im asking if there is a better way i could equip him as he's modeled since i like the character of his pose.

I'd go for a pretty basic build if I were you. The idea with the General is to have a dirt cheap leader who can boost the leadership of your battleline. One possible build would be...

General + full plate, shield, hand weapon, pistol and Holy Relic

another slightly more expencive build would be...

General + pistol, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Sword of Might and Holy Relic

Basicaly try to keep the cost down as low as possible but focus on keeping him alive with a good armour and ward save.

Kahadras

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 16:34
Does it matter how you assemble him?
We're not playing 40k or something....

Stinkfoot
11-06-2008, 19:18
If you're not using a shield or mounting him a great weapon is a considerably better and more efficient that a magic weapon, even the sword of might. As such, I'd go either full plate, shield and basic HW or AoMI and great weapon.

To be honest though, I don't see much reason not to mount him. It's a very inexpensive way to get a 1+ save, and you don't need to waste the points for AoMI, which is probably more helpful on a priest since they can't otherwise take a full plate.

the12thronin
11-06-2008, 22:29
Dawn Armor works just as well for the Warrior Priest.

Count William Grey
12-06-2008, 04:05
Idk how many points you play, but in a 2000pts match here are the combinations i Like:

Holy Relic, Dawn Armor, with hand weapon and shield on a barded warhorse. This is a decent defensive character capable of taking a beating.

Or if you are into character assassination. Van Horst's and either Hammer of Judgement/Sword of Fate on barded warhorse with armor and shield.

kroq'gar
12-06-2008, 04:42
If you looking for cheap:

White cloak, Enchanted shield, sword of might.

2+ save, 5+ward and st 5.

Another is.

AOMI, Great, pistol, relic.

1+ save, 4+ ward. You can use the pistol as an addittional hand weapon if you want to strike in I order, or the great weapon for a bit more bite.

Cambion Daystar
12-06-2008, 10:38
My kit: Full plate, shield, Sword of Sigismund, Holy Relic, and mounted on a barded warhorse.
1+ as, 4+ ward, S5 always strikes first. The ASF is useful in reducing casualties on your RnF models.

W0lf
12-06-2008, 13:49
Armour of meteric iron, Holy relic, Great weapon.

Job done.

TBH thou why bother with him when:

Arch lector
Meteric iron, Holy relic, Van horstmens, GW

is a far better choice allround.

Kahadras
12-06-2008, 21:16

Job done.

TBH thou why bother with him when:

Arch lector
Meteric iron, Holy relic, Van horstmens, GW

is a far better choice allround.

Apart from the fact that he cost more of course. With the above loadouts the General costs 156 points while the Arch Lector costs 231. That 75 points saved can then be invested into something else.

Kahadras

minionboy
12-06-2008, 21:22
Mine is equipped with: Great Weapon, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Holy Relic, Ring of Volans, Handgun

Not too expensive, good at fighting, has a gun for giggles, tough and has an ace up his sleeve in the form of the Ring of Volans. Using the ring late in the game with a Cleansing Flare or other nasty spell can really devastate the enemy.

Royal Tiger
12-06-2008, 22:35
I would go with
(the basic principal seems to be popular)