PDA

View Full Version : Rune Combos for Dwarfs

Atanatos
11-06-2008, 15:39
Hi,

since i couldnīt find an existing thread i hereby propose something akin to a encyclopedia of Dwarf Rune Items.
Just throw in neat rune combos for dwarves to use. Since this is posted in the tactics forum, you should also explain what this rune combo is good for.

Iīll just start here:
The Lightning Hammer
Master Rune of Flight, Rune of Might, Rune of Fire
70 Pts.
Enables a Thain to go happy hunting on enemy Characters and Monsters. Particularly effective against Wood elves with Trees and Tomb Kings, as tree Kin, treemen and any mummies will die quickly, being auto-hit, wounded on a 2+ an suffering 2 Wounds each time without regenaration. Also an excellent choice against large Monsters, regenerating targets and T5 Chariots. The Thain thus equipped can try to tackle the most flammable enemy unit or finish off weakened enemy Monsters. As his ranged attack is basically a throwing weapon with autohit, he has an effective Range of 18". If you have an Anvil, he can move in the movement phase, and then either move again towards his target or retreat back to safety. A good method to gather VPs in the last turns of the game by wounding characters, too.

Armour of the Ages
Master Rune of Steel, Rune of Resistance, Rune of Stone
80 pts
Gives your (of course shield-borne) king a rerollable 1+ armour save that cannot be lowered to less than 3+ by high strength. Any attacks ignoring armour saves will at best wound at 4+. The King is immune to killing blow (US 3), neednīt bother with poisoned attacks thanks to his armour save.
Your best bet is to put him into hammerers, give him a great weapon, and tarpit the enemyīs most nasty unit. He can challenge and survive against any character in the Game if heīs got the Master Rune of Spite.

so, give your ideas.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 16:08
I thought there was a reason why a Shieldbearer model COULD be killed with Killing Blow....
And if he can't, then meet U'zhul! : D
But still, if there is a reason then just take that other rune -.-
Rune of Preservation or something...

Better combination for the first one is to replace Rune of Fire with yet another Rune of Might :)
That's chariot killing.

Atanatos
11-06-2008, 16:16
I thought there was a reason why a Shieldbearer model COULD be killed with Killing Blow....
And if he can't, then meet U'zhul! : D

Nope, he canīt be killed, heīs US 3. Warhammer rules says: killing blow only working against US 1 or 2.
And how many Armies can take Archaon? Like, 1?

Better combination for the first one is to replace Rune of Fire with yet another Rune of Might :)
That's chariot killing.

The rune of might doubles the bearers strength against T5 or higher. Thet gives him strength 8 instead of the puny 6 you propose (assuming you confuse rune of might with the +1S rune).
I think strength 8 is enough to kill chariots.

Malorian
11-06-2008, 16:16
Atanatos: That second one is exaclly the one I was thinking of, but over time I've decided this one would be more effective:

-rune of every wound does D6 wounds
-two runes of +1 str
-rune of stone

Still a hard nut to crack (T5 1+ save), and if just one of his attacks goes through you can basically kiss that character goodbye. Even other nasties like dragons and steam tanks kill get messed up by this guy.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 16:24
Nope, he canīt be killed, heīs US 3. Warhammer rules says: killing blow only working against US 1 or 2.
And how many Armies can take Archaon? Like, 1?

The rune of might doubles the bearers strength against T5 or higher. Thet gives him strength 8 instead of the puny 6 you propose (assuming you confuse rune of might with the +1S rune).
I think strength 8 is enough to kill chariots.

Whoops, my bad ;)
That was Rune of Cleaving....
Forgot what I said...
And lol, double meaning... I meant U'zhul the Skulltaker...
Gotta read the dwarven book again. Reason is that I just read a review about Dwarves and it includes your combination, but plus the preservation rune.

But yeah, according to the person who posted before me...
Would the D6 Wounds and fire damage stack against Treemen?
And in the case you'd take a Rune of Might too...., lol, wounds on a 2+, D6x2 Wounds?

Atanatos
11-06-2008, 16:26
Atanatos: That second one is exaclly the one I was thinking of, but over time I've decided this one would be more effective:

-rune of every wound does D6 wounds
-two runes of +1 str
-rune of stone

Still a hard nut to crack (T5 1+ save), and if just one of his attacks goes through you can basically kiss that character goodbye. Even other nasties like dragons and steam tanks kill get messed up by this guy.

This would be best on a Demon Slayer . The Rune of Smiting (d6 Wounds), plus a Rune of Might (so against T5+, heīll be S8 (ouch!), and anything else will be wounded on 4+ or better), plus a Rune of Speed to boost his Initiative to 6.
This Combo is 100 pts.
Rune of Smiting +2 Runes of Cleaving (+2 S) is 110 points.
So, i put on a King, iīd have 25 pts for Armour Runes left.
Or a dangerous Demon Slayer.

Atanatos
11-06-2008, 16:30
And lol, double meaning... I meant U'zhul the Skulltaker...

Oh, that unique, demon-armies-only character? Battlefields are full of him nowadays :-))

Would the D6 Wounds and fire damage stack against Treemen?
And in the case you'd take a Rune of Might too...., lol, wounds on a 2+, D6x2 Wounds?

Yes, it certainly would. Thatīs 100 pts to go happy tree-chopping. And IF you manage to hit any Treemen or units of Tree-Kin with that character, heīll wipe them out.
IF you manage to get him into contact, that is...

Malorian
11-06-2008, 16:34
This would be best on a Demon Slayer . The Rune of Smiting (d6 Wounds), plus a Rune of Might (so against T5+, heīll be S8 (ouch!), and anything else will be wounded on 4+ or better), plus a Rune of Speed to boost his Initiative to 6.
This Combo is 100 pts.
Rune of Smiting +2 Runes of Cleaving (+2 S) is 110 points.
So, i put on a King, iīd have 25 pts for Armour Runes left.
Or a dangerous Demon Slayer.

Would be a scary deamon slayer, but would make for even scarier sniping cannons :cries:

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 16:43
Oh, that unique, demon-armies-only character? Battlefields are full of him nowadays :-))

Yes, it certainly would. Thatīs 100 pts to go happy tree-chopping. And IF you manage to hit any Treemen or units of Tree-Kin with that character, heīll wipe them out.
IF you manage to get him into contact, that is...

True. Just clearing it out for myself.

And no, there are not many U'zhuls walking around :P
Did I say it was a bad combination? eh. :\

Well, a lifetime to live, a lifetime to learn.

Atanatos
11-06-2008, 19:24
Would be a scary deamon slayer, but would make for even scarier sniping cannons :cries:

Put him in a slayer unit? In larger games, itīs quite easy to pop him out in front of his target, and then "anvil" him on target.

But iīm missing more ideas for brilliant runic items. Put some in!

Malorian
11-06-2008, 19:37
Well if you want to stay cheap there is always the thane-o-pain

-ASF
-+1 attack
-+1 str
-rune of stone

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 19:42
I think the Rune of Shielding is pretty cheap for 25 points.

Atanatos
11-06-2008, 19:57
I think the Rune of Shielding is pretty cheap for 25 points.

Nearly all Armour runes are a steal, but you would expect dwarfs to, wouldnīt you?
Especially the rune of stone, 5 points acros the board for every character is just...yummy.

Well if you want to stay cheap there is always the thane-o-pain

-ASF
-+1 attack
-+1 str
-rune of stone

IMHO ASF isnīt the way to go anymore. Why would i have it? Nowadays, lots of units and characters have it, and nearly everbody has higher ini than me. And normal troops just canīt hurt the thain. iīd rather give him snorri spanglehelms rune instead. Makes him hit on 2+ (even many characters), with S5 and 4 attacks. Which is basically 4 wounds against normal troops.
But if he is to support a unit in CC, as dwarf units suck in the offensive area, why not give him a shield, RoS, and Rune of Cleaving and two Runes of Fury?
2+AS, 5 Attacks with S 5. That should put a dent even in Chaos warriors, without putting him into danger.

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 20:37
Beware using Chaos Warriors as example, friend :P
Nah. You're right, tho.
Still, with 3 S 6 attacks per model, my Warriors coud return a wound or two in return :O

Malorian
11-06-2008, 20:46
Nah. You're right, tho.
Still, with 3 S 6 attacks per model, my Warriors coud return a wound or two in return :O

What's that? Khorne chosen with great weapons?

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 20:49
Exactly. ;)

moose
11-06-2008, 21:42
I've just been creating a dwarf lord for a friend, this is the setup i've made so far;

Dwarflord - 304pts
Shieldbearers
Shield, Greatweapon
Master rune of kragg the grim - runes can be placed on great weapons
Rune of cleaving - takes the great weapon to strength 7
Rune of fury - that's 5 str7 attacks now
Rune of stone - lord has a 0+ save
Master rune of gromril - armour save wont modify further than 2+
Rune of the furnace - immune to all fire attacks/magic

He'd be sat in a unit of ironbreakers or hammerers normally, so would this work?

Thanks,
Moose

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 21:58
You've made two small mistakes :)
First of all, you cannot drop your save lower than 1+ with Shieldbearers.
Second, you misunderstood the Rune of Gromril. if it did what you say, it'd be invaluable! But no, it's just a way to make your armour save +1 withouth any shields, or shield bearers, or whatever. You buy the rune - you have a 1+ armours save.
Also, it says it cannot be improved. This just simply means that you can't make it better with shields, or other runes, or whatever else.

moose
11-06-2008, 22:08
Thanks for the clarification, how about;

Dwarflord - 301pts
Shieldbearers
Greatweapon
Rune of stone - lord has a 1+ save (as he's using a GW i've dropped the shield)
Rune of resistence - reroll failed armour saves
Rune of shielding - 2+ wsv against all missiles

That better? Or are there more standard runes usually used on a lord used to hold the line?

OldMaster
11-06-2008, 22:15
Nope, that's great and completely legal :)

Loopstah
11-06-2008, 22:19
That better? Or are there more standard runes usually used on a lord used to hold the line?

Pretty solid and hardy.

If you were facing daemons I would suggest

Rune of the Furnace - immune to flaming attacks
Rune of Warding x2 - MR 2 for him and his unit

You'd need to drop 35pts from other runes though.

Atanatos
12-06-2008, 07:22
Nah. You're right, tho.

But the Thain would still go first :-)) And his chances to take out 2 Warriors are good, too.

Thanks for the clarification, how about;

Dwarflord - 301pts
Shieldbearers
Greatweapon
Rune of stone - lord has a 1+ save (as he's using a GW i've dropped the shield)
Rune of resistence - reroll failed armour saves
Rune of shielding - 2+ wsv against all missiles

If you put the Lord in a unit, drop the rune of shielding, heīs already save from normal shooting and still gets a LOS-Roll. His armour is then 30 pts. Then give him a Master Rune of Challenge to get the beefiest enemy unit in contact with him and the hammerers. And you still have 70 points of runic items to choose.
Iīd leave it at that, since the Lord will cost 225 points with those runes, and 4 S6 attacks are nothing to sniff at. Better to invest those points in the Standard of Combat Resolution
Rune of Battle +1 CR
Rune of Stoicism doubles US, so you will outnumber the enemy, rather than vice versa.
That cann amount to a swap of 3 CR in your favor (enemy loses outnumber, you outnumber, and get +1)

fishound7
28-06-2008, 22:46
rune of cleaving
rune of fury
master rune of swiftness
rune of stone

I like this combo because it gives the lord 5 str 5 hits where he will strike first and its semi cheap use of runes. adds up to 75 points worth of runes.

Dwarf Runelord 45
28-06-2008, 23:06
Dwarf Lord (301) *with Hammers*
Great Weapon, Shield bearers
Master rune of Kragg the Grim, Fune of fury x2
Rune of Resistance, Rune of Iron x2

How does this guy's runes stack up? I'd like to know before I play him. Any way I know its not Rune combo but... in what point areas should I take an Runesmith? Like one runesmith for X amount of points.

nurgle_boy
29-06-2008, 01:27
Well, I'm new to the whole short-and-beardy scene, but theres a few I'm thinking of trialing, namely, the bsb of potential doom and army support... sitting in a unit of 23 hammerers... along with a dwarf lord...

Strollaz Banner of Stromni redbeard and Battle. this grants the unit he is with a static combat res of 4 even when outnumbered and denied ranks, and a full res of 8 otherwise. the strollaz rune is there to fit my army (the irresistable force, ie, shovel everything forward, then sit and win combats through being hardy, and using units to support each other) which needs to get combat, being close combat orientated. this guy will also be in a stubborn ld9/10 unit which is immune to fear and terror, making them rather hard to shift, at least on paper.

the lord to go with them is very defensive, with Shieldbearers, Runic talisman of spite and warding, Runic armour of warding and fortitude, Greataxe, and Shield. he is there not to die, and again buff the unit (being a combat based army, I will be taking thanes over runesmiths, so the magic res is needed for magic heavy, and to just stop all the annoying low strength, no save magic missles which hurt... give him his due, he can still kick up some hurt in combat, but as I say, he is there mainly to last the game (and preserves a few hundred VP nicely as long as he remains alive!)

of course, this all remains as an 'in theory', due to lack of beard painting motivation...

also, with warmachines in a catch all army, is it safe to slam on a rune of fire, as a 'just in case' (being that it becomes magical, and burning, and thus when it does have an effect, it does it cheaply)? also, rune of penatrating... good choice for a stone thrower?

Pants
30-06-2008, 12:42
The problem with having these awesome rune banners on the BSB in the army is that he can be killed real easily as he is just T5 with a 4+ save.

I'd always found that unless in a themed game it was better to run less characters and more troops as clansdwarfs with static combat res win you combats, your lord is not as killy as most other lords.

TonyFlow
03-07-2008, 21:06
well, if you want to spend a lot of points on characters:

Master Rune of Kragg the Grim (great weapon)
Rune of Snorri (+1 to hit)
Rune or Fury (+1 attack)

So thats 5 x str6 that hits on (most likely) 2s... Expensive, but nasty. Then have another character with master rune of Challenge in the unit to bring in the baddest enemies.

For BSB, there is the Master Rune of Fear with Rune of Stoicism, great autobreaker. But again, very expensive on an easy to kill BSB.

The aforementioned thane'o'pain is great ASF and 4 str5 attacks.

I always put rune of penetrating on Stone Throwers and Bolt Throwers, makes them that much more killy.