PDA

View Full Version : Orcs Vs. Steam Tank

Frogczar
11-06-2008, 20:03
So I'm a fairly new player and I'm just starting to get the hang of playing the greenskins (and having a good time).

One of the people I'll likely play soon is someone I encountered in my first tournament. An Empire player, he had a Steam Tank that totally messed me up, even though I was able to cast "Mork Want's Ya" on it once and damage it.

So, what are good ways to take out Steam Tank with Orcs and Goblins?

I was thinking "Wollpa's One Hit Wonda" on a Goblin Hero on a Wolf with the Brimstone Bauble? Just run the dude in there and hit it like a bomb?

Any suggestions are appreciated,

-Frog

Stinkfoot
11-06-2008, 20:18
Bolt throwers will hit the large-target steam tank on 3+, wound one a 4+ and deal d3 wounds and ignore it's considerable armor. I think it's probably a good idea to take at least 4 bolt throwers in a general-purpose list, so you should be dealing about 3 wounds a turn if you concentrate fire. That's not too bad for a 140 point investment.

Mister Hat
11-06-2008, 20:26
A giant is usually quite good, too, if you can avoid the many cannonballs that will come his way before he reaches the STANK.

Don't be too scared of it, once you have taken a couple of points off, it quickly becomes nerfed. The big problem is that you have to completely destroy it to get VPs for it - a ridiculous ruling but a ruling none-the-less.

fubukii
11-06-2008, 20:53
a local Orc player at my store runs 6 bolt throwers with bullys, he makes short work of enemy steam tanks from what ive witnessed. As a last resort orc characters with great weapons can finish the job in combat after your bolt throwers weeakened it a little.

As for the giant, its a risky move, it will either DO REALLY WELL vs the stank, or it will take a ton of str 6 impact hits and die.

sephiroth87
12-06-2008, 00:18
The bolt thrower is the best option. 2 spearchukkas will render the 300 point monstrosity useless in a turn or two.

Marwynn
12-06-2008, 00:41
Spear chukkas are good, they negate the armour save and deal a S6 attack each. Even a pair of them can render the Steam Tank all but useless in one good round of shooting.

Zorlax7
12-06-2008, 04:13
Not to hijack this thread, but what about mortal Chaos armies? What can they do to get rid of the steamtank?

Grimgormx
12-06-2008, 04:16
spear chukas, 4 at least, a rock loba can help a lot, and as it is a Big target you can shot it using the chukas behind your infantry.

Giants are great to, my Giants had destroyed more steam tanks than anything in my army (one of them killed a star dragon the turn it magically charged)

Stinkfoot
12-06-2008, 04:31
Not to hijack this thread, but what about mortal Chaos armies? What can they do to get rid of the steamtank?

If you're still using the HoD list, Dragon Ogres can tear a Stanks a new one pretty quickly. A single charge from them will cripple the tank almost assuredly. If you don't have Dragon Ogres, many chaos characters have enough hitting power to cripple the tank in a round or two. Great weapons are your friends, as is the case against Empire anyway actually (stupid War Alter).

Xzazzarai
12-06-2008, 04:44

Hellfiresword might do the trick.

fubukii
12-06-2008, 06:57
dont helcannons do like d6 wounds or something?

i could be wrong i havent played against one in a year or so

StormCrow
12-06-2008, 07:01
Easiest method for orcs and goblins: Savage warboss with rune fang. You WILL kill it in 2 rounds of combat. And after that you can scrap some knights as well.

OldMaster
12-06-2008, 07:03
Yeah, Hellcannons also can be used :)

About the Giant, imagine him headbutting the thing.... lol...

Urgat
12-06-2008, 12:56
About the Giant, imagine him headbutting the thing.... lol...

yeah, never heard of that? It's called a screaming bell :p