PDA

View Full Version : grey knights are kool

wild_wuzz
12-06-2008, 01:06
ok so i thought i need some brute strenght in me IG army, and oh my god do they give it, i have attached 5 terminators from the grey knights, ive not yet played them but looking at the stats, what the hell was i thinking not to field them, ok if anyone has any tips on best use for them im all ears, i use them mainly for stoming on chaos heads, he use's marines, possesed, byskers, a demon lord creature thing and a dougnut, as well as a few other things they have, i have yarrick, storm troopers, russ's and demos as well as basilists and of course troops, all ideas are welcome, cheers all

Captin Korea!
12-06-2008, 01:07
Use pie-plates. The termis have str 6 power weapons, so sick them on his daemon prince.

Drogmir
12-06-2008, 01:10
Only problem with Grey Knight Termies is that they're so expensive and almost useless out of CC

ex. Guard Player unloads 10 HB shots at me, makes 6 of them.

I roll my 2+ saves.

I miss every one of them.

Game Over (Ok not really, but still!)

Hicks
12-06-2008, 01:40
I actually think GKTs are good (not great) in an IG army. First I will disagree with Drogmir and say that they are very good at shooting incoming troops and they can do it on the move too.

Also, yes they are very good in CC, but they are very expensive. Every IG players know how cramed the deployment zone can be, so walking your terminators to the actual fights can be quite hard (especially since any smart opponent is going to avoid them like the plague). For these reasons, I prefer to had more guardsmen to my army, if the game is competitive.

But yeah, in higher point games, they can really save your bum from the big nasties that are getting thrown at you. If your playing a drop troop list, you will benefit from them a lot more since they follow your troops thanks to DS, and they get into combat much easier.

In short, they are ok in small gunlines and they rock in higher point games with the Drop Troop doctrine.

Drogmir
12-06-2008, 01:50
I actually think GKTs are good (not great) in an IG army. First I will disagree with Drogmir and say that they are very good at shooting incoming troops and they can do it on the move too.

Also, yes they are very good in CC, but they are very expensive. Every IG players know how cramed the deployment zone can be, so walking your terminators to the actual fights can be quite hard (especially since any smart opponent is going to avoid them like the plague). For these reasons, I prefer to had more guardsmen to my army, if the game is competitive.

But yeah, in higher point games, they can really save your bum from the big nasties that are getting thrown at you. If your playing a drop troop list, you will benefit from them a lot more since they follow your troops thanks to DS, and they get into combat much easier.

In short, they are ok in small gunlines and they rock in higher point games with the Drop Troop doctrine.

Well I don't really use them with IG, I use them with mixed inquisition armies. But in terms of shooting a normal squad of vanilla termies can do the same if not better with their assault cannons for cheaper.

For IG I really don't think Grey Knight Termines can outshoot their return point in guardsmen. Ap5 Assault or not

Hicks
12-06-2008, 02:08
I'll give you that for pure shooting normal SMs with assault canons are better, but you can't have those with the IG.

The point I wanted to make is that they aren't useless at shooting. Of course guardsmen are better at it for the same points... but then that's ignoring the pure awesomeness of GKTs in close combat (something I'm sure you're familiar with, since you use them yourself).

Drogmir
12-06-2008, 02:15
I'll give you that for pure shooting normal SMs with assault canons are better, but you can't have those with the IG.

The point I wanted to make is that they aren't useless at shooting. Of course guardsmen are better at it for the same points... but then that's ignoring the pure awesomeness of GKTs in close combat (something I'm sure you're familiar with, since you use them yourself).

Notice how I put the adjective almost as in you shouldn't be relying on these guys to win your shooting wars and if they're not in CC you're not using them right. Yes they can shoot and it helps throw in some extra dice but that's not really going to be a huge deciding factor..

Hicks
12-06-2008, 02:28
Yes, that's pretty much what I meant. I just wanted to add that their shooting is really helpfull against non-MEQs, I should have been more specific with that I guess.

EVIL INC
12-06-2008, 02:33
I actually have a daemon hunter inquisitor with emp tarot, , 4 gun servitors, a sage and 2 mystics (or is it the other way around?) This helps me get first turn and if I place them centrall, I can get free pot shots (most likely) if the opponant deep strikes or summons anywhere near them.Give me time, I will likely get me a callidus assassin to add to them (with her special ability + gaurd long range shootyness + first turn = likely one for sure dead unit of my choice first turn not to mention he other special abilities) overall about the same points or less then a gk termy squad and much more effective overall.

EVIL INC
12-06-2008, 02:34
Sorry double post.

DA_WAAGH
12-06-2008, 02:59
The Grey Knights are like their Fluff, they are support units, and always will be. Even through some PGK army's win its hard. I don't think their a waste, but the Termies are the best looking models!

wild_wuzz
12-06-2008, 10:34
thanks for the imput guys, the termis are going to be dropped deep behind enemy lines and there are going to kick the living daylight out of them, my gaurds will do all the shooting and as my new termies make there way back to me i will give them plenty of cover on the way, as they run back to me holding there arms out wide knocking everything over in there path totally upsetting my next victim, so really theu wont be doing much shooting, if im right fielding 5 termies, i still get to field around 80-100 guardmen,

Brucopeloso
12-06-2008, 10:47
[QUOTE=EVIL INC;2692198]I actually have a daemon hunter inquisitor with emp tarot, , 4 gun servitors, a sage and 2 mystics (or is it the other way around?)

Aren't henchemen limited to 3 per type? (I don't want to sound confrontational here, I am just asking so please don't be offended, if you are right I'll add a plasma cannon servitor immediately).

I have a DH army with an inquisitor lord with psycannon, 3 HB servitors, sage and two mystics, 2 normal GK squads an eversor assasin and 2death cult assasins (just for the heck of it). The rest is guard.

I had a lot of fun with this set up and guard and DH really complement each other well.

GK terminators? Love the models but I think they are a bit too expensive.

EVIL INC
12-06-2008, 13:05
Hell, your right, it IS only 3 per type. Luckily I only actually used the "set up" in a single game and then the HB servitors did squat.
My mistake. Saw tech priest could use 4 and didnt think about the Inquisitor not being able to take as many. I'm sorry, but even with only 3, it is a great combo. Thanx for pointing that out to me.

Almost every time someone plops termies down behind my lines, they get one round of shooting and then, they are ripped to shreds by my return fire and rarely are any even left for me to mop up in assault (even with my non-shooty armies). Be carefull of dropping them unsupported like that as you are likely to lose a lot of points that way.

Fay_Redd
12-06-2008, 13:31
Grey-Knight Terminators die in close combat to fire warriors. my friends fire warriors are CC monsters. its the luck of the dice we know that. but a firewarrior unit killing a daemon prince (old suped powergamer prince from previous chaos dex) IN COMBAT MIGHT I ADD. isnt something you see everyday.

my friend has recently upgraded them to a full unit of crisis suits in battle now, and they are still owning.

wild_wuzz
12-06-2008, 16:24
ok these fire warriors, can they be used in a normal chaos warriors and how worried should i be if they do get used???? or will my wonderfully powerful russ's and lasscannons take em out???

TwoByFour
12-06-2008, 17:38
I wouldn't worry too much about fire warriors in a chaos army, as they are a tau unit, and quite possibly the worst CC unit in the game. (Unless the die hate you, which I suspect is Fay_Redds problem.) :p

Tonberry
12-06-2008, 17:46
and a dougnut

Poorly spelt sugary beverages will be the end of us all!

MrBigMr
12-06-2008, 19:53
For IG I really don't think Grey Knight Termines can outshoot their return point in guardsmen. Ap5 Assault or not
I once calculated 5 normal SM termies vs. 50 concripts in shooting. Both with no special weapons or anything. I even favoured the termies in many ways, but in the end 35 conscripts walked away.

But you know what would make an nice combo? GK and IG Armoured Company. Screw Land Raider, a Chimera (via AC Fast Attack) can ferry 6 terminators.

Helferich
14-06-2008, 23:45
Try to clear an area for the GKT's to deep strike behind the enemy force, or if you live on the edge, try to deep strike them RIGHT in the faces of the enemy infantry. It's just fun to see the look of disbelief when it actually works and your enemy is trying to figure out what to do about the heavily armored behemoths in their faces, with their nemesis force weapons, storm bolters, incinerators, psycannons, etc.... Yes it's risky, but if it works, it is GLORIOUS!