PDA

View Full Version : Once again, Vampires

blurred
13-06-2008, 15:43
Howdy,

I bought the new VC book recently and decided to start collecting them as my previous project (mixed chaos list) went out the window. I've had a hard time figuring out what vampiric powers and troops to take, but now I've finally settled for a list which IMO is pretty neat. Note that I haven't played against or with the new VC or even seen them being played so the list might need some work. C&C most welcome. :)

The wicked circle

Vampire lord 475
- Nightmare
- Additional magic level
- Master of the black arts
- Dark acolyte
- Infinite hatred
- Crimson gem of Lahmia
- Blood drinker
- Book of Arkhan

Vampire 200
- Dark acolyte
- Talisman of Lycni
- Black periapt
- The flayed hauberk

Necromancer 80
- Dispel scroll

25*Skeletons 245
- Full command
- Banner of the dead legion

25*Skeletons 245
- Full command
- Warbanner

10*Skeletons 80

5*Dire wolves 40

5*Dire wolves 40

3*Fell bats 60

Varghulf 175

5*Blood knights 360
- Kastellan, standard
- Balefire spike
- Royal standard of Strigos

TOTAL 2000

I am aware that my general is pretty vulnerable, but I hope the enemy won't have many chances to get to him and I can pick fights where the blood drinker and hatred combined with the crimson gem really pay off (or should I switch the book for the crown for extra protection?). The Varghulf will probably support the skeletons while the blood knights roll either flank with the wolves and bats.

YTY
13-06-2008, 18:23
You could try giving the 10 skellies up, reducing the other skellies to 20 or even 15 (you should buy lord of the dead) and taking a 15ish strong unit of grave guards. They are good.

Stinkfoot
13-06-2008, 19:02
I really think it's never a good idea not to take Lord of the Dead (or Summon Ghouls if you run lots of those instead). It costs 15 points, and gives you two incredibly useful abilities. On the lord, it is considerably better (statistically speaking) than the more expensive dark acolyte assuming you're using most of your dice to raise (and you should be, most of the time). With it, you can drop 5 skeletons from each unit and add them to the 10 man unit. Drop the banner of the dead legion to buy a third command. 20 is more than enough men when you can raise as many as you want.

On the general, I'd drop the blood drink. Either get him some armor (you could drop infinite hatred and take dread knight instead - great power DK is) or keep him out of combat and spend the points elsewhere. Also, as far as utility goes I'd say your Lord almost NEEDS the helm of commandment. Enemies hitting your skellies on 5's is classic.

I don't like blood knights, at all really. They are hugely expensive can be baited around all game due to their frenzy. For the price of that one unit you could take two units of black knights, or black knights and cairn wraiths, and for for my money either of those is a much better buy.

By the way, Grave Guard aren't really necessary, and to be honest I don't even like them that much. They serve the same purpose as skeletons, don't do it much better and cost a lot more. Add in that LotD doesn't apply to them, and it's all skellies for me!

Andrew Luke
13-06-2008, 20:06
Grave Guard are absolutely killer. They are a great deal for the price, and the models look fantastic. They are a great candidate for the Drakenhoff banner as well. It is a little bit cheeseball but this unit can get charged by almost anything and it will just bounce off after a few rounds.

I actually like the blood knights, but they will probably need the standard of blood keep to stay alive against war machines. Black knights are cool with the move through terrain, but they tend to just bounce off things unless you combo charge. Its really nice to have a unit that can charge almost anything and win!

blurred
14-06-2008, 09:29
Hi,

thanks for all the replies. :)

you should buy lord of the dead

I really think it's never a good idea not to take Lord of the Dead

Yeah. I guess I should try to squeeze it in.

taking a 15ish strong unit of grave guards. They are good.

Grave Guard are absolutely killer. They are a great deal for the price, and the models look fantastic.

I'll probably convert some grave guard from chaos warriors, although they don't look that good on paper: 12 points for a spiced-up skelly and one more point for a great weapon. I figured that a unit of 12 with a full command and some funky magical standard would be over 200 points already. :(

I don't like blood knights, at all really. They are hugely expensive can be baited around all game due to their frenzy.

I thought so too, until I figured out what to use with them: fell bats. These are absolutely beautiful screens for frenzied models. They fly and see all around them so they can be easily 'disposed of' when the blood knights need to charge. Dire wolves help too.

I actually like the blood knights, but they will probably need the standard of blood keep to stay alive against war machines.

Cannons and stone throwers are pretty much the only war machines they have to be afraid of as I have plenty of screens. I'm not too comfortable with the idea of spending 75 points to a magic banner, although the said banner is very nifty.

Thanks a lot for all the ideas. I'll ponder them and revise the list if needed. :)

blurred
14-06-2008, 09:44
Okay, here's the revised list:

The wicked circle

Vampire lord 460
- Nightmare
- Additional magic level
- Master of the black arts
- Lord of the dead
- Infinite hatred
- Crimson gem of Lahmia
- Blood drinker
- Book of Arkhan

Vampire 200
- Dark acolyte
- Talisman of Lycni
- Black periapt
- The flayed hauberk

Necromancer 80
- Dispel scroll

20*Skeletons 205
- Full command
- Banner of the dead legion

20*Skeletons 205
- Full command
- Warbanner

19*Skeletons 172
- Full command

5*Dire wolves 40

5*Dire wolves 40

3*Fell bats 60

Varghulf 175

5*Blood knights 360
- Kastellan, standard
- Balefire spike
- Royal standard of Strigos

TOTAL 1997

blurred
16-06-2008, 15:45
*Boing*

So I guess the list is solid and I can go ahead building my army? :)

Btw, has anyone tried the Crimson Gem of Lahmia? Is it good and do you think it would work with the Blood Drinker?