PDA

View Full Version : 1k HE w/ Dragon vs 1k Daemons

Granitearm
13-06-2008, 16:02
So, I got to play a game on Wednesday with my 1k High Elves Vs. my friends 1k daemons. In our previous game he had gone all Nurgle and had scored a solid victory, albeit with some decent losses on his side. So this was our rematch (and second game each with these armies)!

My army was as follows:

Noble w/ Dragon Armour, Barded Steed, Lance Shield
Radiant Gem of Hoeth

Dragon Mage Level 2
Extra Spell

18 Spearmen
Full Command

5 Dragon princes
Full Command
Move through terrain banner

He took (I believe, from memory):

Herald of Tzeentch

Herald of Nurgle

15 Bloodletters (Full Command)

20 Horrors w/ the Changeling

20 Plaguebearers

Terrain (From my view)

A forest in the upper left hand quadrant, near a hill in the lower left hand quadrant. A forest in the lower right hand quadrant.

Deployment

I deployed the Dragon Princes on the left flank near the outer edge of the hill. The Dragon was deployed near him. The Spearmen had their right flank to the forest on the right side of the board, and the eagle was near them

He deployed his Bloodletters on the left, a ways away from the forest. Next to them were the Horrors with the Changleing and the Tzeentch Herald. And next to them were the Plaguebearers with the Nurgle Herald.

He won the dice roll, and opted to go second.

HE Turn 1

The Dragon Princes shot up the left flank, behind the hill and forest. The Dragon Mage moved upin front of the hill, getting ready to lay waste to some daemons with his fire magic. The Eagle moved in front of the line, getting ready to make life difficult by march blocking. The Spearmen stayed where they were.

Calling upon all of his might to unleash firey death on his enemies the Dragon Mage...over did it, miscast, and took a wound.

Daemons Turn 1

Some general advancement by the daemons. His spells were dispelled or failed to wound.

HE Turn 2

The Dragon Princes thunder through the woods, startling the Bloodletters and preparing to charge them next turn. The Dragon Mage and Eagle move behind enemy lines. The Spearmen remain where they are.

The Dragon Mage manages to kill off a few Horrors with Burning Head. Conflagration of Doom is dispelled. The Dragon takes care of a few more with his breath weapon. The Noble attempts Drain Magic but fails.

Daemons Turn 2

The Bloodletters turn to face the Dragon Princes, raising their daemonic blades in challenge. The Horrors turn to face the Dragon Mage. The Plaguebearers advance towards the Spearman as quickly as they can, but are march blocked by the Eagle.

Daemon magic was ineffective.

HE Turn 3

The Dragon princes slam into the Bloodletters. The Dragon Mage moves to the Plaguebearer's flank. The Eagle moves behind the Horrors.

The Dragon Mage summons forth the winds of magic and...miscasts again, killing himself. The Dragon fails its leadership test and vows to stand over the fallen Mage come what may...The noble casts Shield of Saphery on the Dragon Princes.

The Dragon breathes fire on the Plaguebearers and manages to kill one!

The Dragon Princes slam into the Bloodletter. The champions fight a challenge, and the Dragon Prince manages to punk the Bloodletter before he swings. Some decent damage leaves the Bloodletters with few return attacks, all of which are saved.

Daemon Turn 3

The Horrors turn to face the Dragon Prince/Bloodletter combat. The Plaguebearers turn to face the Dragon.

In a flash of power, the Eagle is consumed in the magical fires of Tzeentch.

Once again the Dragon Princes carve into the Bloodletters, dealing several wounds.The Bloodletters strike back, but the Dragon Princes armor is too thick, and the one killing blow is absorbed by the Shield of Saphery. The damage is too much for the creatures, who disappear in a puff of brimstone. The knights overrun near the Horrors, almost but not quite outside of their charge arc.

HE Turn 4

The Dragon Princes reform to face the Horrors.The Spearmen wheel around the forest and advance towards the Plaguebearers facing the Dragon.

The Dragon breathes fire on the Plaguebearers again.

Daemon Turn 4

The Horrors charge the Dragon Princes. The Plaguebearers charge the Dragon.

The Dragon Princes cut down several of the Horrors, including the Changeling. The Horrors find their flaming attacks completely ineffective against the knights Dragon Armor. The Plaguebearers do a wound or two to the Dragon. Unfortunately for them, the Dragon cannot be broken while he defends his fallen master's body.

HE Turn 5

The Spearmen declare a charge against the flank of the Plaguebearers, but fall just short.

The Dragon Princes kill some more Horrors. The Horrors still cannot harm the Dragon Princes. The Plaguebearers do another wound to the Dragon.

Daemons Turn 5

The Dragon Princes finish off the last of the Horrors and overrun close behind the Plaguebearers. The Plaguebearers manage another wound on the Dragon.

HE Turn 6

The Dragon Princes charge the rear of the Plaguebearers and the Spearmen charge the flank. The Dragon Princes wipe out the rear rank. The Spearmen do little damage, but suffer no wounds in return. The Plaguebears lose combat by 12. He rolls an 8 for his Instability Chack, and the last 9 Plaguebearers and the Herald are pulled back to the Chaos Wastes.

Result: Massacre victory for the High Elves!

A crazy game. All of the daemons were wiped out, and my opponent did not kill a single elf. My only losses were the Eagle to magic, and the Dragon Mage to miscasts.

A rough game for my opponent, who kept a stiff upper lip throughout (even though I knew he was getting frustrated).

The Dragon Princes vs. the Horrors was brutal, but he didn't really have any choice but to charge me. With some luck he could have broken me on combat res, and at least this way he denied me my lances.

A fun game though, and I'm definitely starting to get a feel for the army.

Thanks for reading!

Malorian
13-06-2008, 16:18
That's a pretty elite HE army... I'd also scold you on using a dragon at 1000, but the fact you killed youself made up for it ; )

Good report.

dirtntrees
13-06-2008, 18:36
I was the Chaos player that Granitearm played, and he did indeed play me. Fighting against a Dragon at 1k is rough, and he also out manuevered me and consistently put himself in better positions to fight against my weak points. Props to him for a fun game despite the whoopin.

Feefait
13-06-2008, 19:13
Well with a dragon and a unit of heavy cav like that at 1000 pts you should be out manouvered. No scolds to either of you, sounds like you had fun and it was a good game and report. As long as you know this is the style you will play then more power to ya.

EvC
13-06-2008, 19:47
Wow, that Dragon would have been utterly evil if the Mage hadn't recklessly blown himself up like that! Sounds like a rookie mistake with the Horrors trying to take down the Dragon Princes, but it was probably better for them to charge than be charged.

Also note you can't overrun after the first round of combat... it's called "overrun" because your troops literally run over their enemies ;)

Arguleon-veq
13-06-2008, 23:16
I must admit I thought 'Serves you right!' when the Dragon Mage killed itself. None the less, nice report, I enjoyed reading it. Glad you both enjoyed the battle, thats what really matters.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
14-06-2008, 10:25
I have to say though...speaking as a Chaos Daemons player from a few years back... and looking at the new book/units/etc.

... I don't understand some of the choices the Chaos player made.

Things were going "Decently" for him until he made some (IMHO) very odd decisions:

1.) Charging a unit of Dragon Princes with Horrors that you KNOW cannot hurt them. . . . (blink, blink :wtf:)...this made NO sense to me.

Why ? Because the Horrors were standing there with (presumably) a Herald of Tzeentch in their midst.

They (as 20-strong unit) have access to Gift of Chaos - the 12-inch "all enemy units in range take D6, STR-D6 hits, even if they are in combat" spell.

They also have Flickering Fire, and so does the Herald of Tzeentch.

Why in the world would the Daemon player not have stood there and fired off 2 Flickering Fires (one from the unit, one from the Herald), then cast a Gift of Chaos from the unit using the last remaining Power Dice from the unit, plus the 2 in the Common Pool ?

THAT would have // could have done some HUGE damage to the Dragon Princes...at least more than "NOTHING" he was doing in close combat, as he let the DP's hack him to bits....:rolleyes:

2.) The Plaguebearers charging the Dragon - Umm...okay...so, let's think about this logically. The Daemon player has had some GREAT luck in his opponent's Wizard miscasting TWICE, and killing himself off. He's ALSO had luck in that the Dragon has failed the Leadership and is now "stuck" in place, guarding the spot where his rider fell.

Great ! Right ? Umm....no...apparently not. Instead of LEAVING THE DRAGON SIT THERE USELESSLY UNTIL THE END OF THE GAME, AS IT WASN'T A THREAT AT THE MOMENT....and turning to deal with the Dragon Princes that were soon going to be hitting the Horrors who could not hurt them in CC, the Daemon player chose to charge his key anvil block of Bearers+Herald into combat with the Dragon ! ? Why ?

He lets himself get stuck on the Dragon...allows the DP's to shatter his Horrors (apparently still not casting any Gifts of Chaos for some reason, from either the unit or the Herald, which should have Master of Sorcery, one would think)...then the stuck Bearers' are hit from the rear/flank by the remaining elves and get toasted.

---------------------------

All in all, as a Daemon player, I could cry.

Good job in "winning", but your foe did some awfully curious things that might have cost him a chance at victory, or at least not losing by Massacre ;)

speedygogo
14-06-2008, 10:56
You forgot to mention no slime trail on the nurgle herald.

EvC
14-06-2008, 11:48
1.) Charging a unit of Dragon Princes with Horrors that you KNOW cannot hurt them. . . . (blink, blink :wtf:)...this made NO sense to me.

Why ? Because the Horrors were standing there with (presumably) a Herald of Tzeentch in their midst.

They (as 20-strong unit) have access to Gift of Chaos - the 12-inch "all enemy units in range take D6, STR-D6 hits, even if they are in combat" spell.

They also have Flickering Fire, and so does the Herald of Tzeentch.

Why in the world would the Daemon player not have stood there and fired off 2 Flickering Fires (one from the unit, one from the Herald), then cast a Gift of Chaos from the unit using the last remaining Power Dice from the unit, plus the 2 in the Common Pool ?

THAT would have // could have done some HUGE damage to the Dragon Princes...at least more than "NOTHING" he was doing in close combat, as he let the DP's hack him to bits....:rolleyes:

Pssst, you know that Dragon Armour that means the Horrors cannot be hurt by the Dragon Princes? It also means they cannot be hurt by the flaming Tzeentch spells, doesn't it?

melgorth
14-06-2008, 12:02
Except that, like last edition, tzeentchs spells don't actually count as flaming hits.

EvC
14-06-2008, 14:14
If that's right, then the Chaos player was not just silly, he was very silly indeed. Thanks for correcting me- I'll make sure to listen to Fulgrim's Chosen next time without questioning :D

Chaos Mortal
14-06-2008, 15:51
a strange battle but you had fun so everybody wins =)

Fulgrim's-Chosen
15-06-2008, 21:05
Right ! I didn't mean to sound overly negative anyways. Good job and good game in terms of having fun (the most important thing anyways) ! We all tend to do sub-standard things or have brain-freezes in games from time to time - but if we laugh and enjoy the whole experience, it's worth it (no matter who "wins"). ;) :cool:

Feefait
16-06-2008, 14:27
Well guys in all fairness these are 2 players learning the game, the rules and the armies. I am sure the "criticism" didn't mean to saound so harsh, but let's give them a break. And if they continue playing each other and having fun with how they develop their playstyle then hey good for them. SOmetimes it's refreshing to see things other then the accepted means of who and what and when to charge/cast/attack/move whatever. lol

dirtntrees
16-06-2008, 16:06
Some responses to the commenters here as Granitearm's opponent.

I did indeed make a lot of mistakes, from top to bottom, and realized a fair amount of them even before I read the comments. Slime trail will almost certainly be included in the next army list for the herald because at 10 points it's a steal. I completely forgot about the dragon being unbreakable and thought I could crush it in combat resolution to scoop up some easy victory points and play to draw, as by that point, things were going poorly.

Regarding Horrorgate:

The way that the two forces were aligned, I was left with 2 options. Charge or be charged. If I charged I would deny the lance bonus to the elves and fight the combat on my terms. If I didn't charge I might be able to get some magic off, but I'd be fighting S5 elves against T3 horrors as opposed to a 3/3 coinflip. That combined with my 4+ invulnerable save, made me think that my total combat resolution score would be high enough to make the elves lose overall, be defeated in combat by a fear causing enemy that outnumbered them and be run down.

Obviously...that didn't work. I was a bit tentative about using magic, as it hadn't been very successful, and even with the dragon mage down, there was still the noble to deal with as a caster, as well as the other dice in the pool. In retrospect, I agree with the comments here that magic was probably the better chance to take, but that is why we practice with armies now isn't it?

I do appreciate everyone's comments. I won the first game Granitearm and I played in Daemons vs Elves, and he took this one by storm, so now we have to have round 3 to settle it once and for all!

gd09garett
16-06-2008, 22:40
Well guys in all fairness these are 2 players learning the game, the rules and the armies. I am sure the "criticism" didn't mean to saound so harsh, but let's give them a break. And if they continue playing each other and having fun with how they develop their playstyle then hey good for them. SOmetimes it's refreshing to see things other then the accepted means of who and what and when to charge/cast/attack/move whatever. lol

Speaking of learning, the overruns were done improperly. You can only overrrun in the first round of combat, so in the Bloodletter/Dragon Princes combat, the Dragon Princes could not overrun when they beat the Bloodletters since this was a latter round of combat.

Volker the Mad Fiddler

Tutore
04-07-2008, 11:43
Also note you can't overrun after the first round of combat... it's called "overrun" because your troops literally run over their enemies ;)

Exactly, you did this mistake two times :)

Nice battle however!