PDA

View Full Version : Modelling CSM

MaliGn
13-06-2008, 19:26
I'm sure everyone is fed up of this but I'm curious as to how fussy people are about modelling all the weapons onto CSM.

People seem quite happy for them to be modelled with Bolters and no visible CCW or Bolt Pistols, but how are happy are people with CSM modelled with CCW and Bolt Pistol but no Bolters. Part of me wants to cram them in but I don't want the models to look over cluttered, what with their other bling.

What are people's opinions then?

Tonberry
13-06-2008, 19:33
It really doesn't matter, all CSM come with Boltgun, Bolt pistol and close combat weapon, so it's unlikely that there will be any confusion.

Deacoknight
13-06-2008, 19:35
It really doesn't matter, all CSM come with Boltgun, Bolt pistol and close combat weapon, so it's unlikely that there will be any confusion.

I would tend to agree with that. If the model comes tandard with something, I don't think it needs to be neccessarily shown. I usually try and put an equal number of bolter marines and ccw/bp marines in the squad together. I have never had anyone complain about it as of yet.

robnixon
13-06-2008, 19:36
ive modelled mine like they are holding their boltgun to reload but then have had to use their bolt pistol or close combat weapon,

i broke it down to 3 with boltgun aiming like normal. 2 with boltgun in the right hand and a bolt pistol in the left, 2 with chainsword and boltgun in the same method 1 with heavy bolter 1 with plasma gun and one champion with plasma pistol and power sword.

i think they look alryt

Shibboleth
13-06-2008, 20:02
All my guys have everything.
I've put knives slotted between their backpack and their back as the CCW, and pistols in holsters on their waists, along with grenades.
All the bits are on the sprues (although not enough for a full ten men, but you can borrow from Berzerkers, loyalists, etc.)

MaliGn
13-06-2008, 20:34
Believe me, working as I am on my third CSM army I have no shortage of bits!

victorpofa
13-06-2008, 21:43
Too much clutter for me. I now tend to minimize the extras because they can be a pain to paint. I have a sizable number of metal marines in my Space Wolf army and their dangly bits get old after a while. Pouches, and holsters, and purity seals, oh my! And don't forget 1-3 grenades each (usually under an arm). So my plastics are simple. Same with my Orks. Only the 'Ard Boyz will have gubbinz, and only to differentiate them from the rest of the horde.

My CSM will be a mix of bolters and pistol + CCW. I have 5 done so far with 3 rifle and 2 pistol. Since each has all three standard there should be no confusion. Unlike my Wolves where True Grit needs to be represented. Hopefully they will soon have the same loadout as CSM.

PondaNagura
13-06-2008, 21:52
since i'm scratch building mine, i just have my guys with either the bp/ccw or bolter, and then the opposite configuration are mounted on servo-arms on the backpack...

but really i wouldn't expect people who already have the original ones modeled to add the extra gun, it can look to cluttered otherwise.

Obliterati
14-06-2008, 03:10
Thanks to my all consuming obsessive-compulsive disorder, I'm pretty much forced to cram a bolter, pistol and CCW on all my Marines. I usually do one of three things with them:

- carrying the rifle, with holster and chainsword hung off the belt
- carrying the rifle one-handed with the chainsword in the other hand, holster on the belt (requires some knife work)
- carrying pistol and chainsword in hand, with the rifle rigged up with some kind of sling. I used to make leather-like slings out of green stuff, but I could never get it to look the way I wanted. Nowadays I use some superfine steel chain that I...uhh, "borrowed" from work. It works okay.

WorLord
14-06-2008, 08:38
My army is a mix of older metals and new plastics, so units carry a mix of bolter, pistol, and ccw in all sorts of combinations. Some have grenades, some don't.
The only exception is with special and heavy weapons as well as squad leaders w/ weapon upgrades from the armory- those are WYSIWIG, as I don't want any confusion over who had which gun during a game.

LokkoRex
14-06-2008, 09:46
i've modelled all my iron warriors w/ bolters and close combat weapons(clip away bolt pistols from arms, glue bolters in place) except for heavy weapon guys, who got holsters and ccw on their belts.

adreal
14-06-2008, 09:55
eh mine are just modelled to look good, some have bolters and some have pistol ccw. The specials and heavies just have the special/heavy weapon where my icon bearers and aspiring champions are built out of the possessed sprue (cept for doom sirens, they are converted) so my powerfists are the heavy looking fist arms and the power weapons are the arms with the clean blade poking through the flesh, looks alright.

My actual possessed are going to get a darker paint scheme from the rest of my army, just to look different

Finnith
14-06-2008, 10:38
I did a mix of bolter, chainsword + bolter, bolt pistol + chainsword and my favorite combo bolter and bolt pistol leaning slightly to the side. I also modeled some of the special weapons with ccw.

dvdhwk
14-06-2008, 12:14
Half of the members of an individual squad have bolters, and the other half have BP/CCW. No issues in 6 or so tournies.

Lordsaradain
14-06-2008, 12:25
I just have a mix. Some with pistol + CCW, some with boltguns. A random number has grenades, close combat dagger or pistol holsters.

MrBigMr
14-06-2008, 12:46
They're Chaos, and Chaos grants mutations, so just make 4 armed CSM so that they can have all those items handy. One hand has a bolt pistol, another hand a CCW, one wields a bolter and one is tossing a grenade. Repeat few times and do your best to make them all look like they're having the same pose. Nothing like an army of one-posers. I've seen few of them in WHFB and they're sick sweet if done right.

Hicks
14-06-2008, 13:34
I just have a mix. Some with pistol + CCW, some with boltguns. A random number has grenades, close combat dagger or pistol holsters.

That is how I would do it too. Hopefully, they won't revert back to just bolter or just CC weapons and pistols in future editions.

Playa
14-06-2008, 13:45
Hey,

just make 4 armed CSM so that they can have all those items

Yeah, you know what? I think I'll just wait for Citadel to do that first.
Since they've never made models with all those bits, I'll just use what I have.

Back when squads could have either Bolters or Bolt Pistols, this was an issue.
That's why all legacy Chaos armies have Marines modeled either/ or.
But, the Gavdex tells us all our models now have everything included.

And if it's good enough for Gav, it'll have to be good enough for my opponents.

Playa

Sir_Turalyon
14-06-2008, 14:17

Second that. If it has power armout with horns and spikes, it has to have bolt pistol, ccw and bolter, unless they are modelled with special/heavy/power weapon that replaces some basic weapons. Only options that may or may not be taken have to be modelled. Worrying if CSM need to have standard kit modelled to use it is like worying if your marines can disembark from land rider model if you glued ramp shut.

PondaNagura
14-06-2008, 15:46
hmm, it'd be nice if they rereleased some of the older chaos renegades from RT with the 3 limbs...i dont care if they're shorter.

ReveredChaplainDrake
14-06-2008, 17:11
Since I regularly use both Chosen and Chaos Marines, I WYSIWYG my Chosen / Chaos Marine distinctions because my Chosen all have Bolt Pistols & CCWs (or Possessed Marine equivalents to CCWs) and my "regular" Marines have Bolters.

IMO, you don't have to WYSIWYG compulsory items. Only add-ons, and everybody is assumed to be compulsory.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
14-06-2008, 17:28
IMO even baseball bats would suffice - their equipment is not optional - they just have it - even if you model only rocks on them...

MrBigMr
14-06-2008, 18:15
Yeah, you know what? I think I'll just wait for Citadel to do that first.
You do know that I was joking, right?
And if your answer is to sit on your hands and wait Citadel to do everything for ya, that'll be a long wait. There's plenty of stuff allowed by the codexes that they don't have models for.

Askari
14-06-2008, 21:26
I have one or two modelled with all Bolt Pistols and Chainswords in hand, and Bolters on a sling across their left shoulder. Until I can be bothered the rest will stay either or. Grenades are a pain in the rear end so I dont bother modelling them.