PDA

View Full Version : greasus goldtooth

pkain762
13-06-2008, 23:39
i acquired a greasus goldtooth model, and i am just wondering if anyone has had any success with him

and if so how have you used him in an army? he has some descent stats and some cool items... just a massive ogre.... so any thoughts?

kain

W0lf
14-06-2008, 09:44
If your going down the special character route Skrag is infinitly more powerful.

Urgat
14-06-2008, 09:52
i acquired a greasus goldtooth model, and i am just wondering if anyone has had any success with him

and if so how have you used him in an army? he has some descent stats and some cool items... just a massive ogre.... so any thoughts?

kain

He's too slow, that would be my gripe about him. Why can't he ride a charriot pulled by two rhinoxes, that idiot?

OldMaster
14-06-2008, 10:17
He fulls up TWO Lord choises, that's the worst thing about him....
Of course, he's powerful, but with only three attacks at WS 6 or so he isn't going to do much.
He's tough, yeah. But so is Skragg. He has a lot of special abilities, yeah. But so does Skragg, again!

skank
14-06-2008, 12:40
Worst thing about him is, to use his abilities he has to hang around at the back of the table to get good LOS:confused:.
And yeah, if he's so rich why can't he be pulled around by something more fearsome than gnoblars???

pkain762
14-06-2008, 15:20
ok so i pretty much just have him for the model.... haha he's a cool model but i didn't see any way to use him effectively... haha and all of my thoughts have been pretty much confirmed haha thanks for the input

still a really cool model though

kain

Condottiere
14-06-2008, 17:56
Worst thing about him is, to use his abilities he has to hang around at the back of the table to get good LOS:confused:.
And yeah, if he's so rich why can't he be pulled around by something more fearsome than gnoblars???I think he's too lazy to bother to change his mode of transportation.

Also, there are some places a chariot won't go.;)

Garg Foecrusher
15-06-2008, 17:55
As a side note - he doesn't cause fear!

Anyhow I think he is useful in really big games, where you have several lord choices. His leading abilities are quite good, like units in his LOS rally automatically, and he works as the armies' bsb.

W0lf
15-06-2008, 19:57
Hes 2 lord choices. Hes useless.

R-Love
15-06-2008, 21:05
As a side note - he doesn't cause fear!

it explicitly states in the ogre book that everything in the ogre army but gnoblars causes fear

FranticDaemon
15-06-2008, 22:00
He's just to expensive for what he does, and what's worse he takes two lord slots. I would take Tyrant and Slaughtermaster (and the price would be only a little bit bigger) over him every day.

pkain762
16-06-2008, 16:54
yup so i pretty much just have him for display purposes haha maybe one day i'll field him just for the hell of it

kain

Malorian
16-06-2008, 18:33
Well I don't think he sucks, but I don't use him...

Since you can't use him until 3000 point games it means you will have a lot of troops, and you are probably going to go irongut heavy.

Sit him in the back and give everyone +1 combat res. You will be holding the table quarter and annoying your opponent with stupidity rolls.

As I said, I don't use him (at 3000 I use skrag) but I don't think he sucks, and that he can work out great against low Ld armies.

kylek2235
16-06-2008, 23:07
Yeah, he sucks. I whip him out whenever my friends and I play 3000pt battle of the kings games. In those, our special character "Kings" both take up both Lord Choices, but no other character slots. They make for pretty fun games. Greasus got owned against Settra (that magic phase gets tough to beat as the game goes on!), but managed to crush Grudgebearer's Dwarf army. That might have had more to do with a unit of 5 Leadbelchers eliminating a unit of 30 Slayers with two salvos than Greasus though, as none of his abilities came into play (no units went stupid, units were never fleeing in his line of sight and he was never close enough to a combat for his +1cr to come into play).

All in all, he's a strong Ogre with few attacks, a load of abilities he can't use if near the front of the battle and very slow. He's still better than Malekith as far as Special characters are concerned, but that doesn't say much

SkawtheFalconer
13-02-2013, 15:37
Please forgive the threadomancy, but reading the OK's new 8th ed AB, I'm really struggling to think of a situation in which I would field Greasus in his current guise. For the damage he puts out, and the effect he has on the game, he seems MASSIVELY overpointed. Has anyone found use for him?

Agoz
14-02-2013, 03:31
No, he's still too slow and too expensive, and he still only has three attacks, only now he only causes d3 wounds a hit.

rocdocta
14-02-2013, 04:09
making sure the spot on the shelf is occupied is something he does well. in fact he competes very well with my yhetees for that place.

Agoz
14-02-2013, 04:22
making sure the spot on the shelf is occupied is something he does well. in fact he competes very well with my yhetees for that place.

At least yhetties can get where you need them to go.

VampireOrcElf
14-02-2013, 09:54

Yhetees are actually very good and under used IMO

Agoz
14-02-2013, 17:02
Yhetees are actually very good and under used IMO

Agreed, in a game without flaming missile troops, they can do very well, init 4 str 5 is nothing to sniff at.

Kayosiv
14-02-2013, 22:47
If mournfang costed like 90 points a model like they should have, Yetti's would be fine. As is, they compete directly and an equal amount of yetti's is just pathetic compared to an equal amount of mournfang, which is a shame, because yetti's are cool and have neat but not overpowering special abilities.

As for Greasus, aside from him having lower movement (flying Greasus, lol) and 2 less attacks, he has pretty much the same stats as a dragon, sans flaming breath of course. Not only that, but his 4+ ward is miles better than a 3+ scaly skin and he's strength 10 with d3 wounds, so he'll likely cause about as much as a dragon to multi-wound creatures anyway, more so if they are above toughness 4 or have good armor.

Making people stupid is neat.
Hoardmaster is an AMAZING ability. 18" range super BSB ability (that stacks with actual BSB) and automatic rally? For an army of leadership 7 guys, that's really great to have.
Being immune to psychology is kind of neat. Immunity to the fear of terror causing units is a nice benefit but nothing really noteworthy.

So, Greasus is just short of 550 points, while a regular tyrant is just above 200. To get a 4+ ward save and a great weapon to be similarly kited out compared to Greasus, he's going to cost around 270ish, or basically half of What Greasus costs.

So, ask yourself this question. Are you willing to pay 275 points for the following things?

+1 wound. +1 toughness. Hordemaster. Immune to psychology for any unit he joins. d3 units within 18" go stupid for the rest of the game.

I'm not sure I would, especially when you consider that Greasus lacks fundamental ogre traits such as movement 6 and ogre charge. Hordemaster especially seems like a really really great ability, but I wouldn't pay more than maybe 100 points for it and it certainly is costing you more than that many when your purchase Greasus.

woodster17
14-02-2013, 23:39
If he was priced correctly i'd consider adding him to my force. Kayosiv explains his abilities nicely; he has some useful special rules that would be beneficial in some situations. However, Ogre models come at a premium points cost as it is and 550 is not a price i'd be willing to pay for any game under 3000-4000 pts. And I'm too slow a painter/have a few other armies to spend my time building up a force that large, much less find someone who would want to play against me.

Peter88
16-02-2013, 04:58
I think he's beneficial in really massive online games, wherever you might have many master selections. Their leading skills will be good, just like items in LOS rally instantly.

rock salt supplies (http://www.ksdsalt.co.uk/buy-rock-salt.html)

Agoz
16-02-2013, 07:36
um, guys, as far as I can tell, Greasus doesn't count as a bsb anymore, at least I can't see it written anywhere in his 8th edition rules.

Edit: unless you mean the +1 combat res rather than the re-roll leadership.