PDA

View Full Version : challenge unclear to me

Captain Keen
14-06-2008, 11:30
page 76 :challenges

Here it says that the challenge issue is allowed before any close combat are worked out. (*)
On the next page it says that no other model may attack them (#). (does that mean this turn, or as long as the challenge is going on without a winner?)

Now I want to know what happens...May my Lex Luthor, that just killed a outirdider champ in a challenge, be attacked by the dude that stood next to the champ? May he not be attacked this turn (#)? Or is the challenge over, and may he be attacked because now normal melee starts?(*)

Another Keen Question...
Cap Keen :cool:

Lordmonkey
14-06-2008, 12:03
If a model is in a challenge, they may not be attacked by other models in that combat. They continue to fight until either one side breaks and runs away or one challenger is defeated.

So with Luthor, no, he cannot be attacked because he was involved in a challenge this turn. by the same token, he may not attack any enemy models. Next turn he will return to combat and fight as normal (unless he fight another challenge!)

Hope this helps :)

Captain Keen
14-06-2008, 12:13
ok, thank you

Captain Keen
14-06-2008, 16:56
how about cross attacks? 4 figures left, 2 on each side, and normal combat is crossed in regard to the challenge fight? It would seem strange, but rules say go right?

Lord Snerual
14-06-2008, 18:06
Models in challenge may indeed not being attacked, as long as the challenge is. And even when you defeated the enemy (and made and Overkill with a bit of luck) no one can attack you that round and the other way around.

I love Overkill

monkeymatt
14-06-2008, 18:16
how about cross attacks? 4 figures left, 2 on each side, and normal combat is crossed in regard to the challenge fight? It would seem strange, but rules say go right?

If you meen about the other non champion units well they can fight each other(If both sides have non champion units) but the champion's attacks can't be included and I pressume if you roll and kill 10 and they had a squad of ten eerybody would die except the champion(Am I right in saying that?)

OldMaster
14-06-2008, 18:18
Challenge is a good thing. When charged by or charged with a lone hero, a challenge can come in handy.

Lord Snerual
14-06-2008, 19:27
If two units find eachother in combat, and one champion challenges the other, and the other accepts, there is a challenge.

When in a challenge, the two champions will battle eachother out of reach of the rest of the units. So they will fight seperately.

I think the unit can still fight eachother besides the challenge, bu neither unit will brake, until one character dies or breaks.

Ie, two units of 10 men fight eachother, one champion challenges the other, he accepts. Now, 4 men of one unit (front row minus character) may attack the opposite 4 models, when they are in base contact. One unit slays 2 models, and one champion slays the other with one wound as Overkill, now three men will die from the second unit.

Captain Keen
15-06-2008, 03:12
I was wondering if there were 4 models left in close combat. 2 on each site with 2 heroes fighting eachother and the two other dudes fighting eachother as well, but crosswise like chessboard. 2 white squares being the challenge. Since all are in base contact they could all fight right? Even if the situation seems silly?

Copenhagan
15-06-2008, 18:05
When in a challenge only the champion/hero will fight the other champion/hero no other model may attack ether combatant until one of the champions/heroes dies. If one dies in a round of combat no other model may attack the winner until the next round of combat.

The only exception to this rule is that mounts fight in the challenge as well.

AKArbalest
11-07-2008, 07:43
Yea, I take it to mean that a character can't fight twice in a combat, it doesn't make sense if other rank and filers can't do it.

T10
11-07-2008, 10:14
I was wondering if there were 4 models left in close combat. 2 on each site with 2 heroes fighting eachother and the two other dudes fighting eachother as well, but crosswise like chessboard. 2 white squares being the challenge. Since all are in base contact they could all fight right? Even if the situation seems silly?

Corner-to-corner contact still counts as contact.

In the situation below the blue Champion calls out a challenge.

If the red unit answers with the Hero then the leftmost blue model may not fight at all since he is only in contact with the red Hero.

If the red unit answers with the Champion then all models get to fight. The leftmost blue model can only attack the Hero.

-T10

Arnizipal
11-07-2008, 11:04
I think the unit can still fight eachother besides the challenge, bu neither unit will brake, until one character dies or breaks.
You still work out combat result as normal for the units. It's perfectly possible for a character to receive no damage (or even win) in a challenge but still break from combat because his unit was soundly beaten.

T10
11-07-2008, 15:19
That is often the case when combat characters on monsters charge a fully ranked regiment in the front. The regiment commonly starts with a +5 combat resolution from its banner, ranks and outnumbering, while the character can score a maximum of +6 for the champion's single wound and the overkill bonus.

-T10