PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider this cheap or unsportsmanlike?

Xaskus
15-06-2008, 02:43
Alright, in the fantasy league at my GW I am challenging the current champ for top spot. He runs a MSU Wood Elf army with 5 or 6 units of 8 dryads, a couple units of Wardancers and Waywatchers and heroes, also against me he doesn't use magic. Getting to the point, I run a Khorne Daemon Legion led by a Bloodthirster. Would you guys think it was cheap just to send the Bloodthirster alone into the fray and have him rip his army apart while the rest kinda hang back for a few turns, taking care of the waywatchers and setting up to capture/contest table quarters? The reason I would do this is because he has nothing that could kill the Bloodthirster. The only thing even close is his GW toting Alter Kindred. Any thoughts, comments, try to keep the flames and rants to minimum if need be. Thanks guys.

neXus6
15-06-2008, 02:52
Depends how close you link playing in character to "cheap or unsportsmanlike" it certainly doesn't seem abusive in any way. It is up to your opponent to counter your tactics really.

Certainly chasing after Waywatchers is in character...and trashing his army is in character...standing at the back pottering about writing your name on a table quarter aint very khorne like and seems a bit win at all costs.

Mind you if your plans come off and you trash his whole army you'll probably win by the max anyway.

I'd say last turn/couple of turn table quarter grabbing fine...camping a few chunks of your Khorne daemon army on your side of the board just for the few extra points that's a bit dodger.

DarthBinky
15-06-2008, 02:55
If he knows that you play Khorne daemons and he isn't prepared to face a Thirster, then it's his own fault for not doing so, I say.

(Not that there's a whole lot he *can* do, but still, if he doesn't even try- that's what I'm getting at)

SilentTempest
15-06-2008, 09:32
Pfft, you're just proposing to use one of the units given to you in the army book. You're not relying on some odd wording to combine wargear items, you're not doing anything against the spirit of the rules. I haven't read the Daemons book, but do Khornate Daemons have Frenzy? If they do, that might push them towards the enemy. If they don't, sitting back will be easy.

If you're worried about not playing in character, well, you know best what's expected of you at your club. If it's a competition where people play to win, then I wouldn't give this another thought, and I'd go ahead with the Bloodthirster and the hanging back. And by "play to win", I don't mean Win At All Costs, I just mean play to compete and try to win, rather than play to create a narrative or something like that...

The Red Scourge
15-06-2008, 11:16
You could just field the Bloodthirster then, if you don't think the rest of the army is to it. ; )

Or you could devise an army, where you had a role to play for every point you field.

PeG
15-06-2008, 13:00
He is worth a ton of points and if you send him in alone WE should have a chance of killing him. Lethal shots from waywatchers, 5 ignore armour save arrows from a lord level character, killing blows from wardancers etc

Or he can use annoyance of nettlings and issue a challenge making you hit only on 6s, in combination with something giving a ward save it can get you stuck in combat for some time.

melgorth
15-06-2008, 13:36
Killing blow cant effect the Bloodthirster though because his unit strength is too high. The annoyance of netlings would hinder him alot but you just have to try and avoid that.

Stouty
15-06-2008, 13:42
If you are trying to find out which one of you is the best then you should play to the best of your ability and aim to win, he's the local champion I assume because he does the same.

Also when you say "against me he doesn't use magic" that it tailoring his list, I'm not sure whether he's doing it because he doesn't like your MR or not but tailoring your list is generally seen to be unsporting unless you are both doing it. Suppose that's not a huge issue, I'd be thankful for the lack of magic.

Anyway: Try your best and win!

Ward.
15-06-2008, 13:45
Honestly there's nothing wrong with playing like that if you're going for the top spot, just be sure to protect the troops you leave behind.

winkypinky
15-06-2008, 14:11
And not get your bloodthirster killed.

There is probably a reason why the particular gamer is at top spot. So dont just expect that you can throw a big mean monster at him and knock him of the top. Someone have probably tried that before.

skank
15-06-2008, 15:56
Against you he does not use magic? Then he has no problem with this sort of thing. Just say your BT has told his minions to hold back as he wants to test himself, or something...

Remember you can't fly into/out of woods so he could trap you that way, if you pursue into a wood you'll be going 4 inches next turn.

Chicago Slim
15-06-2008, 17:11
I see no problem whatsoever with holding a bunch of your army in reserve, while the Bloodthirster clears up the enemy shooting. In all likelihood, you'll WANT to bring your infantry into play on turn 4 or 5, once they're safe from getting shot to bits: those Bloodletters will seriously shred his dryads and wardancers.

As others have said, just watch out for the Annoyance of Netlings-- especially if he puts it on an Alter, he could bottle your Bloodthirster up for a LONG time (he runs 18" across the board, challenges you, you can't refuse because you have no ranks to hide behind, and now you need 6s to hit, forever). Then again, he'll need to have SOMETHING supporting him in that fight, so that he doesn't just break (you have US, maybe a wound, he has maybe a wound, you win, outnumber and cause fear...)

Talonz
15-06-2008, 18:51
Based on that WE army list, I'd say anything goes. Beware bad challenges though. Thankfully he doesn't have the static CR to make those a real issue though either.

MURPH
15-06-2008, 19:08
The alter kindred noble thing wont be too bad. He has to pray you dont hit him with anything and then pray that he causes at least one wound or he autobreaks(assuming no snake eyes are rolled)

Risky, but more so on his behalf. If he throws it on an ancient, just make sure you take the firestorm blade to make those wounds count for double. Otherwise just avoid the ancient until a unit of fleshhounds hit him.

As for your question, play to have fun, but play to win. If he cant adapt then he shouldnt be at the top of the chart.

MURPH

W0lf
15-06-2008, 19:46
Its only cheap if you cheat or use dodgy rules interpretations to youe advantage.
Its only unsporting if you dont play to win. Playing for daw is unsporting.

As your doing this to win and i dont see any apparent cheating then its fine.

KingOfStarcraft
16-06-2008, 00:34
He dont use magic? Do you have to declare which army you use and list? Personally I would prefer magic list of doom vs wood elf. A tzeench mobile army with 20+ power dice would shred him. especially if he has no magic defense... It would be a massacre

Xaskus
16-06-2008, 05:30
Thanks for all the opinions guys, I just wanted to make sure I didn't look like a douche in a couple nights. I'll see how it goes, I'm probably throw in a couple different units this time round.

Frankly
16-06-2008, 05:52
I think its totally fine. He's actually got a few units and can do a bit of damage to your Blood thrister if they get the chance.

On the whole, he's got a pretty good skirmishing armylist and its up to him to figure out how to play against a uber character.