PDA

View Full Version : Frenzied cavalry needs to charge an occupied building?

Chrisorc
15-06-2008, 10:59
Me and my friend played yesterday and what happend was that i had a unit of frenzied orc boar boyz and the only thing they could see was a building occupied by a unit of glade guard.

My friend claims that the rules of frenzy says that if they see a unit they must charge it.

My rule that I'm relying on is that you are not able to assault(read charge?) a building.

He would not relent and we decided iI would have to charge the building but then my troops would realise they couldn't and turn around in my next turn effectively removing them for two turns.

So mighty Warseer, can you help me with my conundrum?

Braad
15-06-2008, 11:16
Cavalry cannot charge units in buildings.
Frenzied units must charge if they can.
Since they cannot charge, as the first part says, they don't because the second part says they only do if they can.
Its quite simple, actually.

About the thing charging, and then realising they cannot, there is nothing in the rules about this kind of stuff happening, so either it would end up in eternally standing in front of the building, wanting to charge, or not charging at all.

Tarax
15-06-2008, 11:21
Although the rules say you have to charge an enemy within charge reach (p.52, BRB) it also says that this means the enemy must be within the unit's charge move.

I would put it that you were right, as cavalry can NOT enter buildings, so those units are outside their charge move.

ehlijen
15-06-2008, 14:18
Frenzy means you must declare a charge if you can legally complete a charge. Buildings are impassible for anything but infantry and therefore are not a valid charge target for cavalry units. Therefore, such a charge could not legally be completed.

Spirit
15-06-2008, 14:45
So can a frenzied chariot charge into woods? Where it would take damage and probably die.

Loopstah
15-06-2008, 15:15
So can a frenzied chariot charge into woods? Where it would take damage and probably die.

I would say yes. Chariots can enter woods, they just take a whole lot of damage if they do.

Urgat
15-06-2008, 15:23

Yes: they can go into woods, impact hits or not, woods are not impassable to them.

Chrisorc
15-06-2008, 16:36
That last part was homebrewing as we had no idea what to do, probably should have said so.

Thank you very much everyone, the opinion is clear.
Frenzied cavalry charging buildings? Busted!

siphon101
16-06-2008, 15:00
People mix up how frenzy works a lot. Some try to argue that a frenzied unit must advance towards the enemy, or must charge what they see, or must charge the closest enemy. All of that is wrong.

Frenzy is basically two simple rules (well more than that but this is where 90% of the issues come up):

1) if they CAN make a charge, they MUST make a charge

2) if there are multiple possible charges, player chooses which enemy unit they charge

Thatís pretty much IT. A frenzied unit can not be forced to attempt a charge that is impossible, nor can it be forced to charge a specific unit if there are multiple enemy units in charge range. The basic rule for charging frenzied units is that if a charge CAN be made, a charge MUST be made.

If there is no charge that a frenzied unit can make without breaking a rule (such as cavalry entering a building) then they are not forced to charge and may move normally. They can not be forced to attempt the impossible.

eleveninches
17-06-2008, 12:14
It says cavalry cannot ENTER or OCCUPY buildings. I cant find anywhere in the rulebook where it says that they cannot charge units that are in a building. They just end up stuck against the wall of the building and fight without charging bonuses

T10
17-06-2008, 19:40
Only infantry units can assault buildings. See p.98 Assaulting buildings, first paragraph. Use a magic marker and highlight the word "infantry" and then read.

-T10