PDA

View Full Version : Bound Spells

klstrider28
16-06-2008, 02:16
It hasn't come up yet for me but as i begin empire and daemons i think i should understand them better. Partially i blame the BFSP little book for being vague, but perhaps i am being dense.
Anyway, my main concern is dispelling them. The little book says that the opponent must score equal to the power level of the bound spell to dispell it. What does that mean exactally?

thanks in advance guys

Oenghus
16-06-2008, 02:26
If the bound spell has a power level of 5, your opponent would need to roll a 5 (or greater) to dispel it.

Ward.
16-06-2008, 02:31
Also it will say what the bound spells power level is in it's description. (That one gets a lot of people)

klstrider28
16-06-2008, 02:36
so tactically are they meant to discourage dispelling because they cost dice and there are potentially more powerful spells to dispel?

on a side note, are wizards allowed to cast spells while in combat unless otherwise specified? I beleive that they can but it can't hurt to ask :0

alextroy
16-06-2008, 02:53
Yes, with certain limitations. Check out the Magic section of the rulebook for full details.

klstrider28
16-06-2008, 02:58
thanks guys

i feel enlightened :0

Chicago Slim
16-06-2008, 02:59
[QUOTE=klstrider28;2702971]so tactically are they meant to discourage dispelling because they cost dice and there are potentially more powerful spells to dispel?[/quote

I don't think I'd say that... They tend to have a significantly lower casting value (3, 4 and 5 being by far the most common bound spell power values), which makes them easier to dispel than most spells that are cast on dice. On the other hand, bound spells never fail to "go off", unless they're dispelled.

A good example, I think, is the High Elf Ring of Fury, which casts the spell Fury of Khaine as a bound spell, power level 4 (I think, maybe 3 or 5 though). Pretty easy to dispel: there's a good chance your opponent will stop it with even a single dice. On the other hand, a wizard casting Fury of Khaine needs to roll an 8 or better to get the spell off-- but it'll be harder to dispel than the Bound version.

So, tactically, bound spells can be used to "soak up" dispel dice, allowing you to cast some other spell, OR they can be used as a surprising "extra" at the end of a magic phase, once your opponent has spent all his dispel dice.

klstrider28
16-06-2008, 03:03
^thats what i was thinking

The Red Scourge
16-06-2008, 07:09
Bound spells are really good for soaking up DD, at least when its a power level 4+.

Here your opponent needs to think if he wants to take the hit or dispel and dispelling a 4+ with a single die is 50-50 chance, so to be sure he needs to allocate at least two.

The 3+ spells can be dispelled with a decent chance on a single die. But some of them (like the old Nurgle Death Head) can have a decent impact on the battle. With these its all about timing and drawing out all your opponents DD first especially one use items, where you get something hardhitting at a great discount.

But basically bound spells are about spamming your opponent till he runs out of DD, so you can get your spells through :angel:

Grey Seer Skretch
16-06-2008, 07:41
Single scariest bound spell in the game to my mind is the Warpscroll. Its Pow level 5, so your opponent's going to want to throw 2 DD at it to make sure its stopped, but tbh its one of the rare bound spells that actually you really want to get through, as its 'Plague' on 1 unit automatically, which can be absolutely devestating against Elves, Humans and anything else without a fabulous toughness value. This is a good example of a 'terror-weapon' bound spell, and is a different use to the 'spamming' bound spells; doesn't do any harm for your opponent to know you've got it as they may hold back a disproportionate amount of DDs against it, allowing other spells through, but on the other hand if they don't know you have it and you manage, in the later stages of the game, to do away with all their Dispel Scrolls and exhaust their dispel dice, an item like this can have a huge impact on the game. Win-win really...

havoc626
16-06-2008, 10:07
Just as a quick question, does a one use only bound spell count as being used if dispelled?

Loopstah
16-06-2008, 10:08
If it's a one use only and gets dispelled you can't use it again.

havoc626
16-06-2008, 11:07
thought so, just thought id check

klstrider28
17-06-2008, 02:47
this question just came up today and I wasn't completely sure if i was right or not. Are the power dice in the shared "pool" cumulative over turns if unused? I didn't think that they were but I figure I should ask the experts.

Oenghus
17-06-2008, 03:01
Nope. Fresh pool every turn. There are a few magic items that let you carry dice over between phases (diadem of power, for example) but they are quite rare and very much the exception to the rule.