PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some basic night gobbo advice.

big squig
16-06-2008, 07:36
Ok, I've had a night goblin army since 4th ed and play it every once in a while. I just got it back together but I haven't played the current edition much yet or have played with the new O&G book much either. I don't play fantasy much as it's not really my cup of tea...but I do enjoy the occasional game and all the orc and goblin goofiness.

I was wondering what kind of advice all you more veteran fantasy players could give me? What kind of units should I be taking (no orcs!)? Should I take lots of small units or a few big units? What about magic? What's a good basic strategy for night gobbos?

Thanks. :)

Urgat
16-06-2008, 12:11
Gobs work fine in units of 30 (for the units that are supposed to fight, I mean). For night gobs, I suggest leaving the spears home, but taking everything else (netters, full command, etc). Common gobs have a 4+ save in melee, don't underestimate them.
A pair of spear chukkas , then units of squig hoppers would be my advice for special choices (I field my hoppers in units of 7, that's the max you can fit against a 5 wide unit).
For rares, take whatever you like, some people like the giants, others like the pump wagons or the doomdiver, I tend to go for trolls.
Don't rely on fanatics for damage, they're too random for that. Use them as shields, they're perfect for that
But the most important part is: always take at least a pair of wolf (or spider) riders (I field mine with bows, musicians and that's it). Perfect for redirecting, march blocking, solo mage and warmachine hunting. All my battle plans revolve around these dudes.

I know, you said night gobbo, but pure night gobbo arm¨ies, I don't really see what kind of advice I could give you (take night gobs?)

Conotor
16-06-2008, 12:52
Night gobbles are the best infantry in the game. Take 25-30 with nets and a varying number of fanatics. Netters can take charges almost as well as orcs do.

huitzilopochtli
16-06-2008, 14:15
fantatics, lots of.
spear chukkas, lots of.
Goblins (with netters), lots of.

This army is incredibly fun to play and, while completely random, has a decent chance of winning.

On thing that you might consider; take an orc general. You probably want a whole goblin army but an orc general gives your units invaluable staying power.

big squig
17-06-2008, 04:10
Cool. Any advice on squigs? What about basic strategy like how I should have my unit's arranged and how I should fight?

I own:
Lots and lots of night goblins (most with spears, some bows) with a lot of fanatics and nets
2 shamans and a boss
a lot of squigs
5 hoppers
3 trolls
a giant
a doom diver
a pumpwagon
10 wolf boys

Anything else I need?

Lord Khabal
17-06-2008, 10:54
you could go magic heavy (orc shamans for Ld) with 6 BT and 2 doom divers.
Lots of gobbos and fanatics.

melgorth
17-06-2008, 10:57
I find that both the sguig herds and hoppers make good units. They are very fragile and vulnerable to shooting but can do alot of damage if they get into combat. I would say get some spear chukkas, just to deal with any multi wound monsters that come your way that your normal units can't deal with.

W0lf
17-06-2008, 16:43
Take a generic Goblin warboss to lead. The extra Ld is crucial.

Always take netters and 2 fanatics is better then 3 imo.

big squig
19-06-2008, 01:55
Ok, played a couple games today. Won one, lost the other.

How do I deal with fear? My poor goblins are only LD5 and I fought undead all day. And tomorrow I have to fight elves...which I just happen to fear!

My pump wagon also really under-performed. What's the use of it? It just seems to die.

StormCrow
19-06-2008, 02:16
All you can really do to deal with fear is take a common gobbo warboss (for ld) and the red raggedy banner to stop mass hysteria in your battle line. Giants, trolls, and snotlings also help to pin scary units in place until your goblins find their courage. The horn of urgok also helps if you really need the ld boost for crucial charges.

With night goblins you really just need to sit back and blast the living crap out of the enemy with any magic and shooting you can muster and hope that numerical superiority will win the day once the enemy gets to grips with you. Although to be honest if you aren't taking any orcs you'll be fighting an uphill battle against undead and elves.

Grogugluk
19-06-2008, 03:10
Remember you only fear elves if you are outnumbered by them.

Most the times you will always outnumber elf units.

kroq'gar
19-06-2008, 03:13
Ever since a friend left his O&G book at my house been thinking of a night gobbo hoard... (those models are just too good).

Was thinking maybe using Gobbla converted onto an orc sized base, with a small goblin hearding him, and using the orc warlord stats (to resemble the squig predominantly.)

Warboss Antoni
19-06-2008, 23:01
Well personally I think goblin magic is pretty good. I usualy take 2 shamans ( I take night goblin ones, and make them do shrooms ).

OldMaster
19-06-2008, 23:07
My friend always takes the Staff of Sneaky Stealin' and it actually helps a bit.
Against Highs, you'll need..... many Shamans. Fanatics which wound thouse things on 2+ are, of course, also a must, but you just always take them.
Avoid getting straight into combat with his troops. First, fanatic them to death, chukka them to death, shoot them to death and only THEN charge head-on : D

big squig
20-06-2008, 03:29
Ok, played against the high elves. Took two lv.2 shamans and 2 dispel scrolls. I did ok stopping his magic, but by the last couple turns of the game i was out of scrolls and down a shaman...so things got a little rough. (Elf magic is nuts) I also kept miscasting and by the end of the game my last shaman forgot one of his spells and had turned frenzy and stupid. :p

I stayed out of combat nearly most of the game, fanatics, the doom diver, and squigs (both cave and hoppers) did most of the work while I did my best to suppress his magic. His archers and repeater bolt throwers on the other hand tore me to pieces. We ended in a tie and it's due solely to being shot up. My poor goblins are only LD5 and kept failing their panic tests.

I think I need to invest in some spear chuckas or at least set up better...though when you have so many guys it's hard not to deploy in a giant line. :(

W0lf
20-06-2008, 08:27
Wy are you LD 5. Take a common gob warboss. LD 8 is reasnable.

Condottiere
20-06-2008, 10:49
My friend always takes the Staff of Sneaky Stealin' and it actually helps a bit.
Against Highs, you'll need..... many Shamans. Fanatics which wound thouse things on 2+ are, of course, also a must, but you just always take them.
Avoid getting straight into combat with his troops. First, fanatic them to death, chukka them to death, shoot them to death and only THEN charge head-on : DUnless, of course, he RBTs and Archers you first, and as the cherry on top of the sundae, he successfully casts Flames of the Phoenix.;)

Urgat
20-06-2008, 16:09
Remember you only fear elves if you are outnumbered by them.

Most the times you will always outnumber elf units.

Nope, not enough. You need to outnumber them 2 to 1 not to fear them...

Stronginthearm
20-06-2008, 16:20
[QUOTE=I think I need to invest in some spear chuckas or at least set up better...though when you have so many guys it's hard not to deploy in a giant line. :([/QUOTE]
Ya I would agree with that, while i dont personally play goblins my friend plays as them and consistantly tears holes in my lines with spear chuckas another sugestion if you dont have any would be to aquire some spider riders they are quick and realy make this difference if you get the chance at flanking which you normally do.

big squig
20-06-2008, 22:55
Well, I know it really hurts my army competitively, but I really want to just use night goblin stuff...not common goblins or forest goblins. I do have a unit of wolf boys that I have converted to have night goblin riders, but I really want to try and stick to pure NG. I'm more interested in having a cool theme and a fun army than being as efficient as possible.

I may do some more 'count as' stuff though.

Mr. Stabby
21-06-2008, 15:44
I also play a pure night gobbo army. Here's my tactic:

Thin them out!
-Hitting enemies before they hit you with lots of various things helps possibly make them break, less you have to fight.
-Your gobs can't take large beatings for long without breaking, so you have to thin enemy lines.
-The less of them there are, the more chance you have to win combat.

Here are the main things I use to soften them up:
-Fanatics, x3 in every main fighting unit I have.
-Spears (more hits, more kills!)
-Pump wagons
-Spear Chukkas
-Skarsnik

Here's how I play. Throw the pump wagon at the enemy. All you want are the impact hits. Then march your lines forward lobbing magic the entire way. Use the staff of sneaky stealking, staff of sorcery and tons of magic mushrooms so your spells hit. I usually fill ALL my special slots with spear chukkas but occasionally I'll use rock lobbas. Those help thin them out on their advance a lot, and the chukkas can help cover your flanks with firepower. Then, when your fanatics get to the enemy lines, don't be afraid to bounce them THROUGH your own pump wagons. They are pretty much useless after they do their impact hits. After all that beating, the enemy will be thinned well. Now, I've tried squig herds, and they work decently, but they kinda screw you over as much as they help.

Have fun, and don't forget to eat your mushrooms.

W0lf
21-06-2008, 19:15
Oh yeah thats an option.

Take snarsnik, hes a birlliant way to keep your army Night-goblin only but simaltaniously competitive.

big squig
22-06-2008, 04:41
Ah skarsnik. As you can tell from my username I love squigs...and gobblas the biggest one around. But I don't have skarsnik and gobbla yet. I'm going to pick them up next week.

So, how is he? What's the best way to use him and his big pet? What's the worst? Also the sneaky tricks thing where your gobbos can move and reform after fleeing sounds pretty cool but I don't know how to best implement it.

W0lf
22-06-2008, 08:05
Snarsnik:

- Hes Ld 8 which is good.
- Hes very good in combat, well Gnobbla is, for a goblin hes nails.
- Sneaky schemes is so good its almost broken, eally messes with an opponents battle plan and can be so deciding it can keep M4 units such as chaos chosen, grave guard and black orcs out of combat for an extra turn or two. Warmachines and missile units also really suffer.
- Tricksy traps is a nifty rule, allows you to play more of a cat and mouse game and realy avoid combats you dont want.
- Snarsniks prodder is another cool ability that adds to your magic phase, you will normall be pulling about 4 S6 hits with it. (His unit, unit ether side and base 1).

Use him to hold the centre or your line where his CC ability and Ld are putto best use. With 4 S6 and killing blow your opponent will likely want to keep characters ( esecially wizards) away from his pet.

With him id advise ether:

3x Shamans

Or

2x shamans, boss with Great weapon.

Just make sure you get both bound items in and staff of stealin and you will have a very competitive magic phase.

sephiroth87
22-06-2008, 15:25
Skarsnik is pretty good. He gets a lot of wounds and usually killing blows enemy characters.

Mr. Stabby
22-06-2008, 21:31
As goblins, especially night gobbos, you're almost never going to want to take a charge. If you lose combat, more than likely you will break, it's that simple. Fleeing is not honorable, but it sure beats getting scared off and chased down. If combat isn't going well, FLEE! Better to lose some dignity than a unit of 30-40 night gobbos. Skarsnik just makes this tatic so much easier. When they charge your lines, run, and then surround them, and get of massive numbers of hits and spells. With sneaky scheming screwing up battle plans and slowing down units from the start, as well as your pump wagon slowage, you should be able to control just what gets struck when.

On top of that, pull x3 shammies all level 2 and you will almost always get the free waaagh spell (forgot the name, hand of gork maybe?) to be able to control charges and what not even further. Don't forget, you yourself can call for a waaagh. Use this to your advantage. Make sure your gobs are in 30-40 units in 2k-2.5k or 25-30 in 1k, more if you can stand the points. Nets also help you survive combat even easier. Every little bit helps in the night goblin army.

Urgat
22-06-2008, 23:37
Don't forget, you yourself can call for a waaagh.

Not very useful with gobs, your only unit that will move forward is the one with the general, since you don't add ranks to the result... only thing you'll get is D6 S5 hits if you get a 1... Not too great, if you ask me. Oh yeah, you get +1 if your unit has a hero... you take 3 shamans? Not sure you want those in melee :p

fishound7
23-06-2008, 01:39
Its all about 5 infantry blocks full fanatics. thats 15 fanatics pretty insane. 8 chukkas 2 doom divers and the rest wateva. unleash fanatics bombard with artillery. On artillery alone you should get 4 hits with the chukkas and a minimum of 6 deaths ish plus doom divers doin there thing. Just concentrate fire and decimate one of thier units.

This tactic would probably only work once but would be probably pretty devestating. Then you'd have to switch it up. Oh don't get into combat with your goblins until the enemy is mush which is kinda obvious.

Mr. Stabby
23-06-2008, 05:37
I haven't had much luck with the doom divers myself, but I completely agree with the infantry, full fanatics, and artillery approach.

As for the no rank bonus for gobs when you call for a waaagh, that's wrong. You just only get a max of +1, for a total of +2 too all your unit rolls as long as they have one rank and a character. It's not the best, but if it's used at precisely the right time and with some good rolls, it might just be enough to give you that little edge. Like I said before, Every little bit helps.

There is one major reason I use pump wagons over the other rare choices in night gobs, the impact hits (ofc) and for the bounce factor. An average roll lands a fanatic 7 inches out from the unit that threw it. Not enough to hit most of the time. With the pump wagon, it hits, is bumped out an inch from the wagon, continues moving, and hits the next unit: the enemy unit. So after you get the impact hits, use the pump wagons for fanatic accelerators, making it so you have to roll less to get them to go farther.

As for the shammies going into melee, I really haven't had too much of a probelm with that, as my units are generally only there for a round maybe two and rarely three, so for the most part, either they die with the rest of the unit, or they are scared off the board with the rest of the unit. The march forward while lobbing missles, or the sit back and let them come to me while lobbing missiles factor is just too good to miss out on. And with the staff of sneaky stealing and magic mushrooms, your spells will almost always go through after the enemy pops all of their scrolls. Just hold off on those mushrooms until a few scrolls hit the table or they will be a waste. ;) At 2250 I have one shammie with the staff, and my other two with 5 magic mushrooms. Try dispelling that. Just pray you don't roll a 1 on the shroom dice. ;)

With an overwhelming magic phase, a sick line of arty, and your sooper shroomed fanatics, you'll do fine.

PS-
My usual opponents are tchar chaos mortals and empire, so I'm used to having to pnuch through heavy armor. It's basically why I play like I do. I don't know how I'd fare against something like skaven with swarm tatics, but I'm assuming the arty and spells should be a well rounded enough base to keep me going stong. Chaos, I usually try to run them around and get off spells and arty hits before using my usual one two combo with pump wagons and fanatics. Empire, I just charge up the middle, let the fanatics fly, and keep hammering with arty and it works well. Fanatics can eat steam tanks for breakfast, and the foot of gork stomps cannons and crews flat. ;)

Urgat
23-06-2008, 09:42
Ah, yeah, forgot that you do add one rank. Calling waaagh has killed so much of my army in the past that I never use it anymore >>

Storak
23-06-2008, 15:36
Night gobbles are the best infantry in the game. Take 25-30 with nets and a varying number of fanatics. Netters can take charges almost as well as orcs do.

well, the best Ld 5 infantry, i guess. and with the nice disadvantage of fearing 3 additional armies, they are going to test A LOT.

please stop smoking that mushrooms!

Mr. Stabby
25-06-2008, 20:45
Ok, so I totally tweaked my night goblin army, and I have never had more success. I dropped the pump wagons for more points. Then, I dropped all the spears I was using. I filled all my shamans that didn't have the staff of sneaky stealing with magic mushrooms. Then, I added nets and bows to every unit of night goblins, fielded them in units of 41 (42 with the character) and dropped the bosses (I mean, really, the do nothing for night gobs except accept challenges) in the units. I even had more room to add more units. 4 with full fanatics and 3 more with just bows and musicians (they help you rally).

Now, I sit back, and make the enemy come to me. When they do, they are met by ranks and ranks of gobbo arrows. I field in 21 x 2, but quickly reform to 7 x 6 once the enemy gets close and I have nowhere to flee. I always flee as a charge reaction unless I am backed to a table edge and then I shoot as a reaction and take it like a man. Hopefully the ranks will win combat for me and buy some time.

The nets help you take the charges since you have no shields. The magic is lobbed with as many dice as you can to stop them from dispelling (don't be afraid to use those shrooms) and you just overwhelm with massive amounts of hits. I've had more success than ever, and making them march through the fanatics under fire makes for some GREAT kills.

Spear chukkas now are just for covering what I can't hit without turning or wheeling for LOS, since that reduces your to hit by -1, and just hammer them from range while they march to your wall of arrows. Oh, and I certainly move my units up enough so that they will be able to flee about twice without going off the table edge (18-20 inches) so I can flee and shoot. Works great with Skarsnik, since you can reform, move and shoot after rallying.

Lorcryst
25-06-2008, 21:38
Just one problem : under the 7th ed rules and O&G army book, the Magic Mushrooms are now considered an "unique" magic item ... only one of your Shamans can have those, but he may take any number of 'shrooms ...

And yes, alas, that was confirmed and FAQed by GW ... I really miss the 'shrooms of the 6th ed book, when all NG Shamans had one, and NG Great Shamans had D3 of them, but those days are gone, sadly :cries:

Mr. Stabby
26-06-2008, 07:23
You have GOT to be kidding me! When did they change that rule? It doesn't say anywhere in the book that I remember that it is unique in any sense... OFC, I'm not looking directly at it, so I could be sorely mistaken, and I'm sure if GW says that's how it is, then that's how it is, but man that just plain sucks. Good job to GW for bringing down the nerf stick in another place that doesn't need the beating. =/ Time to patch up my shammy points...

But otherwise, the plan is still working wonders for me. A friend of mine has started playing dark elves though, and is just waiting on the new rules before he gets hardcore into it, and I'm anxious to see how I fare. I imagine little gobbos fleeing all over the board as repeater crossbows and reaper bolt throwers chuck missiles everywhere. Many tears and lols will ensure for sure.

At least that's one thing you can rely on for goblins: Your plans will never go as planned, but you will always have plenty of fun, laughs and chaos, and maybe even a few kills. ;)

Lorcryst
26-06-2008, 09:12
Alas, I kid you not ...

It's a combination of the Magic Items rules in the main rulebook, plus the fact that the Magic Mushrooms now have a separate entry in the Arcane Items sections of the O&G book ... and a lot of debate, since this "unique" magic item is in fact several mushrooms for 10 points each.

I was gutted when I found that (along with the "no more bonus heroes for goblin-only armies"), but it seems that GW (or at least, Matthew Ward, the guy responsible for the nerf-fest that is the 7th ed O&G book) wants us to play mixed greenskin armies, and not thematic armies anymore.

Well, with a bit of tinkering, your list will be as effective as before, but you'll have to rely more on the luck of the dice rolls to cast your spells.

Oh, and that thing about the 'shrooms made the Dispel Scrolls a no-brainer, since we can't load up on things that help casting (and we lost a lot of those too), the only alternative is things that hinders the opponent magic phase ...

Mr. Stabby
27-06-2008, 05:12
Hmm... well, at least that forces me to take the itty ring now. ;) Another great magic item. Still, us specialized greenskins took a massive hit, like the post above me pointed out.

Found another bow tactic that might help all you gobbo players. Field your goblins in two ranks when you deply them, but reform them back to your normal size if you decide to take a charge. I did that today vs. my dark elf friend (using the old delf rules), and I ended up only taking charges in two units, both of which had time to reform before taking a charge (which they then shot as a charge reaction). The dark elf player took tons of casualties. I even was able to lock him into close combat with squig herds flanking and took a banner. ;) My third unit (we were only playing 800 points, because of the number of models he had access to) swept around the side decimating his Reaper Bolt Throwers and catching his fleeing units in a deadly crossfire of arrows. There were just too many goblins. Just like I like it.

However, I did decimate him in the magic phase too. He didn't take a single caster. He'll fix that before our next game. He ended up winning because I couldn't get to his last bolt thrower before he managed to kill my flanking gobbos and make my other unit panic right into half range of the thing. I'll keep updating my tatics for all you gobbo players. Here's to hoping we can become more effective amidst our chaotic way of battle!

-chugs mushroom beer-

Baduk 'Eadsplitta
28-06-2008, 14:43
if you take skarsnik put some gobbos in front of a squig herd get the gobbos to flee from a charge the squigs charge the unit they fled fromand th gobbos rally. VERY SNEEKY:evilgrin:

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

big squig
29-06-2008, 05:26
if you take skarsnik put some gobbos in front of a squig herd get the gobbos to flee from a charge the squigs charge the unit they fled fromand th gobbos rally. VERY SNEEKY:evilgrin:

:cheese::cheese::cheese:
Won't falling back through your own squigs cause panic?

kroq'gar
29-06-2008, 06:21
Won't falling back through your own squigs cause panic?

Squigs are immuse to phyc.

And in regards to the loss of muchrooms- why not take powerstones...

Lorcryst
29-06-2008, 09:53
Magic Mushrooms vs Power Stones = not the same cost ...

A 'shroom costs 10 points, and a Stone costs 25 points ... on a Shaman, that means 2 Stones or 5 'shrooms.

And in the O&G book, the Staff of Sorcery (+1 to dispel) is priced at 30 points, you cannot take a Stone with it ... same thing with the Staff of Baduum (+1 to cast) at 40 points ...

Mr. Stabby
29-06-2008, 22:44
So it's become apparent to me that no matter my tatics, no matter my numbers, night goblins alone can't do the job reliably. As much as I hate too, it looks like my gobbos need some... outside support.

I was thinking trolls, but the cost of them and the generally low leadership of my army has really turned me off of that idea. It might still be viable, I just have to proxy it and see what works. I'd surely have to keep them RIGHT next to Skarsnik and run them up the middle (since that's usually skarsnik's territory).

Pump wagons are nice, when the work, but more often than not they don't and it gets a bit disappointing. But for low points, they still make a good throw away unit. I really don't want to look towards goblin chairots, because I'm sure night gobbos won't ever use wolves.

I was going to throw in spider riders, but IDK, they have always been a bit... usless in my expierence. Squig hoppers are a bit to random to get any heavy flanking manuvers off.

Squig herds are great, but tend to explode at the worst time. I was thinking Savage orcs would make a great shock troop to throw down at heavy enemy units to take them head on. Would doom divers give me the punch I need to take out heavily armored units effectively? (READ: Chaos Chosen. >.<) Any other ideas? I hate to take the focus away from the night goblin theme, but I can't seem to help but have to.

big squig
30-06-2008, 00:22
Mr. Stabby, I know how you feel. Night goblins really do need help to be competitive.

Though for me I really don't care that much. I don't really like fantasy all that much and the only reason I bother playing is to see what wacky thing my army will do next. If I wanted to play a real competitive army, there are far better choices than NGs. But where's the fun in that?

Lorcryst
30-06-2008, 09:02
Maybe a Giant or two ? Almost fluffy (they come from the mountains too), and they do add a bit of muscle to a NG army ... but be warned, they tend to attract a lot of ennemy fire ... heh, mine is nicknamed "fire magnet" :p

But I have to agree with big squig, a pure NG army is a lot of fun, but not really competitive ... the little buggers will most likely flee, get in the way of each other, kill themselves with Fanatics ...

If you really want a hard-as-nails, competitive O&G army, you'll have to ditch the theme, and make a "mixed greenskins" list.

Muncher666
01-07-2008, 03:20
Maybe a Giant or two ? Almost fluffy (they come from the mountains too), and they do add a bit of muscle to a NG army ... but be warned, they tend to attract a lot of ennemy fire ... heh, mine is nicknamed "fire magnet"

Mine's called Crampy. The way I explain his existance is the Night Goblins got him hooked on fungus brew, which makes him stoned in the relaxed sorta way, and they just keep him well supplied and he lives in their caves because he's too out of it to move. Then, when they need him to do something, like some tunnelling or help them in a fight, they simply deprive him of his brew. He gets wicked fungus brew withdrawl, and then when they want him to calm down again they just give him a few brewskis.

I'm not allowed to tell this story to customers. Apparently it sets a bad precedent. Bah. :P

Allan. (keytimer)

Urgat
01-07-2008, 10:09
I was thinking trolls, but the cost of them and the generally low leadership of my army has really turned me off of that idea. It might still be viable, I just have to proxy it and see what works. I'd surely have to keep them RIGHT next to Skarsnik and run them up the middle (since that's usually skarsnik's territory).
If they have the Ld, trolls are awesome. River trolls in particular are really hard to kill, they'll stick much longer than any giant (they'll ignore half the canonballs shot at them, for instance...)

Squig hoppers are a bit to random to get any heavy flanking manuvers off.
Man. Try them before tossing them aside. Hoppers are da bomb!

Squig herds are great, but tend to explode at the worst time. I was thinking Savage orcs would make a great shock troop to throw down at heavy enemy units to take them head on.
If you're willing to take savage orcs in an all night gobelin army, you might as well give up on the night gob deal, and take wolves, artillery and so on, you know. Because savage orcs are the last thing I'd see in a night gob army, fluff-wise.

Would doom divers give me the punch I need to take out heavily armored units effectively? (READ: Chaos Chosen.

doom divers are violent, but you need to be good at guessing range (it can correct it course, but only so much), and be a bit lucky with dies (misfires...). If you have both, the dd can make minced meat of about anything, including chosens, grail knights and ironbreakers (the dd are probably made for them anyway, expensive units with big armor saves).

Revlid
01-07-2008, 10:30
If you're willing to take savage orcs in an all night gobelin army, you might as well give up on the night gob deal, and take wolves, artillery and so on, you know. Because savage orcs are the last thing I'd see in a night gob army, fluff-wise.

Model as regular Orcs with froth coming out of their mouths and mushrooms on their bases. They're the Orcs that ran the place before the NG Warboss came along, and have been turned into suicide troops by the careful application of mushroom brew.

Mr. Stabby
02-07-2008, 05:23
I found the punch I needed! Doom divers. I hadn't used them much because I heard many mixed reviews, but I love them. Two of those bad boys firing at groups of large units or a nice thick line is sure to easily make back double their points in kills. The only thing I dislike about them over rock lobbas is they are all or nothing. Either you get the d6 hits, or you don't get jack. The lobbas have a bit more of a chance to hit something, but doom divers kill much more when they hit. Besides, I have all my specials filled with spear chukkas, so might as well use the rare slot over the speical. ;)

I still might try trolls again and maybe giants. I just don't see them being as effective as these 80 point wonders for knocking out lines, softening large units, and taking chunks out of Chosen Tchar warriors. Still might throw in a squig herd or two just because of the immense damage they can do on the flank, but overall, taking full arty (all doom divers for rare and all chukka's for specials), full fanatics, nets, and all bows in all of my units, as well as all casters (and skarsnik) just gives me overwhelming ranged powers. I love it.

I still field my main line in units of 35, sometimes 42, and a few flank guards too of just 20 units. Just march up, hold, shoot shoot shoot, and blow spells everywhere. When your main line takes the hit, should win first one or two rounds of combat with sheer numbers and static combat resolution. Hit them with arrows if the pursuit doesn't take, and don't forget to retreat if needed to lob more arrows.

BTW, here is how I load up my shaman:
1) Staff of sorc, Nibbla's itty ring
2) x5 Magic Mushroom
3) Staff of sneaky stealing

Love the huge dispel dice. Love the insane cast dice and extra bound spells. 'Eadbutt can take out casters in a heartbeat, and Skarsnik's power just HURTS. If you can roll for Brain Busta and foot of gork and maybe one mork want's ya, You'll have so much damage in a magic phase it will make babies cry.

Oh yeah, and I have taken a few competetive army lists out with this new setup. So night goblins might just be a competetive army after all...