PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Points of Bloodsuckers

UltimateNagash
16-06-2008, 16:26
Right, yeah, here's my attempt at a 3000 point Vampire army. I know a couple of choices might seem a little weird, but I'll explain after the list:

Count Mannfred 575
Skull Staff, Black Periapt, Barded Nightmare

Vampire 200
The Hand of Dust, Walking Death, Dread Knight

Vampire 165
Armour of Night, Talisman of the Lycni, Dark Acolyte

Necromancer 95
Invocation of Nehek, Rod of Flaming Death

Necromancer 95
Invocation of Nehek, Staff of Damnation

Necromancer 90
Invocation of Nehek, Book of Arkhan

20 Skeletons 205
Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Dead Legion

20 Skeletons 205
Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner

20 Skeletons 210
Spears, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Hellfire

5 Dire Wolves 40

Corpse Cart 100
Balefire

Corpse Cart 100
Balefire

23 Grave Guard 374
Great Weapons, Seneschal, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Barrows

Varghulf 175

4 Blood Knights 370
Kastellan, Sword of Kings, Musician, Standard Bearer, The Flag of Blood Keep
2999 points
101 models
14 Power dice and 9 Dispel dice
6 Bound spells

Mannfred goes in the Grave Guard unit, and helps all the army out - nice and simple.
The mounted Vampire joins the Blood Knights and relies on using the Hand to kill lots before the Blood Knights kill the rest :evilgrin:
The other Vampire can go to either points of the army to heal and boost combat ability.
The three Necromancers hang back, normally behind units, or in them if needed - all nice and simple.
The Dire Wolves and Vhargulf help protect the Blood Knights, and provide a flank control.
The rest is designed to keep the other parts of the army safe, the general protected and providing a second hammer unit, as such.

What do you think?

Loopstah
16-06-2008, 16:44
Balefire > Lodestone.

Better to take 2 Balefire.

UltimateNagash
16-06-2008, 20:59
At the time, I thought it worked with Vampires - shame :(

Azmazi
17-06-2008, 06:46
Personally the only thing I don't like is the single unit of knights. Reason being is even with that banner, if its a shooty force that group is going to get chewed hard. Usually I personally don't use blood knights unless I have a mounted list, that way they are forced to choose between 3 hard hitting targets. I also personally don't think 5 wolves is enough to screen for them especially when someone can just charge the wolves screening, overrun into the knights, and open up, especially since the hand doesn't count towards the ensuing combat.

UltimateNagash
18-06-2008, 16:45
Er, the Wolves guard the flanks or rear, not the front...

Xirathnix
19-06-2008, 15:49
Then you allow the enemy to determine your charge because you didnt screen the blood knights.

IMO the Kastellan is a waste.

You have 9 dispel dice do you really need to give the enemy -2 to cast? Balefire and lodestone are both good in certain armies.

Doesnt Manfred have lord of dead already on him? Dont have the book on me but pretty sure he does. If this is true free up points by removing some skelies and build the units with his overpowering magic.

UltimateNagash
19-06-2008, 17:43
The Kastellan provides an extra attack and the ability to do somewhat well in challenges...

Sure, Mannfred has Lord of the Dead, but I don't want to have to rely on magic to have big units...

Xirathnix
19-06-2008, 20:07
The Kastellan provides an extra attack and the ability to do somewhat well in challenges...

Sure, Mannfred has Lord of the Dead, but I don't want to have to rely on magic to have big units...

Your paying too much to provide an extra attack and killing blow. 3 str7 lance attacks should do nicely in a duel. Also you have a vamp to challenge and any BK can accept if they need to. If the BK losses then just raise him.

Im not saying rely on magic to have big units 10-15 more skellies is real easy with the amount of magic your packing and can save you 80 pts or more.

Just some thoughts...

UltimateNagash
19-06-2008, 21:39
Yeah, that's somewhat reasonable... I'll think about it

Yes, but big units + magic is much easier, especially when playing against HE, which is my regular...