PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf 750 Tournament List

Emeraldw
17-06-2008, 00:29
Hey everyone. I am preparing a 750 point Tourney list for this saturday. This is my first tournament so I am not sure what to take exactly. My list so far looks like this

Noble: 152
Wild Rider Kindred
Elven Steed
Hail of Doom Arrow

10 Glade Guard: 120

5 Glade Riders: 120

8 Dryads: 96

5 Wild Riders: 166
Full command

What do you think?

northwoodDreamer
17-06-2008, 01:34
Your Noble would look a lot better with a spear, but I can't decided if it's worth dropping the standard or champion in the Wild Riders.

Other than that it looks like a pretty solid list though admittedly I've never played a game that small.

Emeraldw
17-06-2008, 04:14
Your Noble would look a lot better with a spear, but I can't decided if it's worth dropping the standard or champion in the Wild Riders.

Other than that it looks like a pretty solid list though admittedly I've never played a game that small.

Neither have I really. The smallest I have every played is 1k and part of the reason I like some help. Also as a Wild Rider kindred I think he comes with a spear.

Terrokhan
17-06-2008, 07:38
So your going for a fast combat force.
Isnt the woodelves strength in their range? or am i wrong here.
It does seem like a good list, plenty of models for 750

Bumble the Great
17-06-2008, 07:44
this should work! do you have the champions in the dryad units tho because theyare really worth it wor the extra attack

Emeraldw
17-06-2008, 15:46
The strength of a wood elf army is their speed Terrokhan. No warmachines makes it hard to be fantastic at range but I will admit our archery is second to none. However their speed is largely what makes the army so effective thanks to moving and shooting with no penalty, lots of skirmishers, ignoring forests and all fast cav.

I do not have champions in the dryad units as 12 points for an extra attack is too much to spend. In such a small list I am going for as many models as I can field as a any battle I win can be the game for me, not to mention I just don't have the points for it.

Terrokhan
18-06-2008, 08:18
Yeah i see now, this list seems very good for 750 points. Just out of interest, what is the movement of the dryads?

Bumble the Great
18-06-2008, 08:20
they are movement 5 so keep up very well with Wardancers!

Dead orc
18-06-2008, 11:36
Being of the wild rider kindred can he take a hail of doom arrow? I thought they could only take magical armour and spears? May have to re-read my book later. List looks good though.

pcgamer72
18-06-2008, 20:45
I'm trying to remember if making him a Wild Rider Kindred causes him to lose his bow or not. Because if he doesn't have a bow he can't fire magical arrows unfortunately! :(

Cirenivel
18-06-2008, 22:36
I'm trying to remember if making him a Wild Rider Kindred causes him to lose his bow or not. Because if he doesn't have a bow he can't fire magical arrows unfortunately! :(

That's right. He gains light armour and a spear but loses his bow. He can't take any other kind of weapon either n(other than a magical spear)

aeon flux
19-06-2008, 06:21
i dunno, i'm just no big fan of the wild riders. yes, they hit hard, but the wood elves are all about shooting the hell out of the enemy and denying it any charges, or directing the enemy to pointless combats. I think the wild riders are there to give you an option for those who would like to play in a more "conventional" way.
Yes, I kit some of my characters to be heavy hitters in CC, specially in challenges. But I have no eagerness to get to that CC.
My 2 cents

Terrokhan
19-06-2008, 08:30
aeon has some good points but for 750points this seems like a solid list, what armies do you think will cause him strife? Ogres, bretonnia?

Eternal Guardian
20-06-2008, 01:47
well the noble cant be part of the wild rider kindred to have hail of doom arrow its says ith wrk that he may replace his spear and armour with a magical one remember wild riders arent glade riders they dont have longbows as said the cc for 750 pts though id go

Noble: 151
Alter Kindred
Light Armour Enchanted Shield
Bow of Loren
Additional Hand Weapon
Enchanted Shield

5 Wild Riders: 166
Full command

or just have the same noble you have but have the spear of twilight as it confers killing blow great for any small vc armies that use a decent vampire lord for these battles

aeon flux
20-06-2008, 03:17
hey, the beauty of warhammer (one of the many beautiful things about it anyway) is that, even if everybody was playing wood elves, everybody'd be playing a different army. It boils down to preference and tactics. In my case, I'm trying to make a WE list work without the wild riders. I dunno, they strike me too much of heavy cavalry, even though the rules may say otherwise.
I just think it's a shame and a waste not to enjoy that which makes the WE what they are: the best shooters in the warhammer world. I mean, they come with a 30" range weapon for FREE. Think about it.
And on top of that, they are extremelly manouverable. It's not like you would think: ok, let me take some firepower to thin down those enemy units before they hit my lines. You know what? Well played, you may never get to be charged at all, or at least have the most potencial to avoid it, even with your "rank and file" units. IMHO, WE are not about "clashing battle lines". It's guerrilla warfare, hitting without being seen, hit & run attacks, striking from the shadows and retreating before the enemy knows what hit them.

And when the enemy finally charges your units - usually your glade guard or eternal guard... glade guard are "sacrificial". I mean, you have a whole army (nearly) that shoots, so losing a basic unit is not gonna be a problem. Not that I think of glade or eternal guard as a speed bump (WHAT DRYADS ARE GOOD AT), but they have their place and their time in an army. However, if you flank the enemy with scouts (the main reason I take glade guard), waywatchers and glade riders you can isolate and concentrate an obscene amount of firepower on the enemy. And then, just to drive the point home hit them with your wardancers, and sweeney todd would be proud!

Remember, hitting the enemy is never a problem with your BS, the problem is just wounding certain units. However, if you concentrate on destroying rank and file and forcing panic tests (to which starfire arrows excell at), with a little luck you will see the enemy taking multiple panic tests. You have the potencial to do this every single turn. Pick those units you are most likelly to break, if no other immediate threats present themselves.

Besides, you can always have a unit or two of wardancers in the backstage ready to defend a charged unit by countercharging the flanks of the enemy. Believe me, those guys are a true deterrent; many an enemy unit can charge and break your glade guard, but those wardancers aren't going anywhere. They can bog down anything the enemy throws at them. They work well in small numbers and I would never field a unit bigger than 10 models. I think 3 units of 7 models are the best combo. U can have multiple wardancer units ready for this, especially for trapping heavy cavalry units too sure and proud of their "declared superiority".

And if you really want to crack heavy cavalry take an Alter kindred highborn/noble with bow of loren and arcane bodkins. Remember, heavy cavalry units are never that big (unless you're fighting my chaos chosen knights :)), so 4 or five wounds a turn without armour save will see them off in no time.

but whatta hell, I'm not trying to lecture anybody. I speak of wood elves with a passion alike that of any serious warhammer player. Maybe my ideas are all wrong and purelly academical... By all means Emeraldw try your list. Whether or not it works as you hope only time will tell, and after a few games you'll be getting new ideas to enhance the potencial of your force.

So I say, may our armies never be complete.

Emeraldw
21-06-2008, 05:38
That's right. He gains light armour and a spear but loses his bow. He can't take any other kind of weapon either n(other than a magical spear)

He does not lose his bow. The bow is maintained. Only in Wardancer Kindred does it say he loses his bow. Otherwise, he has it. Also the arrow is an item, not a weapon.

W A L 5 H Y
21-06-2008, 23:14
Yh i use wood elves sometimes the army is very quick but a army that can cast off magic like a high elve or tzeentch deamon army will be able to send most of the army away before it even sees combat!

and dryads are great in combat and they make awsome screens but when they hit blocks they dont win! So make sure there supported by the wild riders in the flank :)

O and ur noble is illegal m8 nobles of the wild rider kindred may only choose magical spears or magic light armour items nothing else!!!! :( and the hail of doom arrow isnt a spear or a suit of light armour is it?