PDA

View Full Version : Basing war machines.

MrBigMr
17-06-2008, 06:23
I'm not totally clear on WHFB rules on bases, but can something like a cannon or a bolt thrower be placed on a base, especially when using a conversion that would have a different size profile than the original model?

Lorcryst
17-06-2008, 07:32
Well, warmachines in WFB don't come with a base, and are not usually based ... the only bases that matters are those of the crew, since you're forced to align these crew in front of the machine while recieving a charge.

So, yes, as long as your crew minis can be moved to defend their machine, you can base your warmachines on anything ... great space for some small dioramas, BTW :p

theunwantedbeing
17-06-2008, 07:35
I use those thin 50-60mm round bases for my bolt throwers.
Although you do get the occasional sod who will have a go at hitting them with cannonball shots and argue that he's hit the thing when he's just touched the base and totally missed the machine on the base.

Just let your opponent know that any templates or shooting need to hit the machine, and not the base of the machine to hit it.

Then you dont have any problems.
Aside form uneven hills that the machine refuses to stay on and always slides/falls off!

Lord Khabal
17-06-2008, 07:56
Now the main problem is when the warmachine fights back - HELLCANNON!!!! What kind of base does that thing have? Its pretty tricky, because you will want to have the hellcannon base as small as possible...
I think that in the next edition of Warhammer, all units should have a base type description in the stats entry, just like unit strength... Including warmachines.

MrBigMr
17-06-2008, 08:20
I'm just asking as I'm working on converting two (chaos) dwarf bolt throwers that would be made from 40K Imperial Guard heavy bolters as sort of chaotic steampunk machine guns, and those things with their tripods fit well on a cavalry base with a gunner, where as the actual dwarf bolt thrower seems to have a mount under it around the size of a 40x40mm base. I don't want to claim it as a smaller target than it actually is. 40mm bases would probably be the best choices for them. It also helps to keep the light plastic model standing.

Similary I'm doing a cannon from a hellcannon conversion I started a while back, but never got to use it with my daemons. Basicly a Tyranid Biovore with some daemonic alterations. But I don't think it'll need a base under it as it's metal and the profile is big enough when compared to a normal cannon.

Royal Tiger
17-06-2008, 11:04
I would make the base as wide as the crew squared, if possible (so if there are 3 crew mounted on 3 25mm bases, base it on 75mm's of squared base) that way if you base the crew with it permanently you shouldn't have any trouble in combat because......................ok I'm finding it hard to explain but I'm sure you get the jist of what I'm bumbling on about

Braad
17-06-2008, 11:14
I based my bolt throwers and (DOW) cannon on a 80x80 mm base, and my rock lobbers and doom divers on 80x120 mm bases. They all have slots to fit the crew in. Looks best if you ask me. Size doesn't really matter, since the base is not used for anything at all (except maybe with the hellcannon) so just make something up. However, I would keep them as small as possible to make deploying them next to each other a bit easier.

I found my base sizes to be just right to fit both crew and warmachine. Only the doom diver has a lot of open space, but it couldn't fit otherwise.

Condottiere
17-06-2008, 11:47
Standardized bases sure would be nice. It would making measuring a lot easier.

Gobbo Lord
18-06-2008, 21:18
As an Orc player i mount my Spear CHukkas on 40mm bases (Troll Size) and my Rock Lobbas and Doomdivers on 60mm frontage by 80mm length (three 20mm by 80mm regiment bases stuck together).

Warmachines without bases imo look awfull, who cares if the base makes the machine a bit easier to hit, charge etc. Id prefere my army to look good rather than nit pick about the odd 4 mm between the edge of the base and the warmachine thats not really supposed to have a base.

ZeroTwentythree
18-06-2008, 21:24
Think of it like movement trays. They don't have any gameplay effect, they are there for convenience.

Bortus
18-06-2008, 21:25
Ok, all my war machines (orc spear chukkas, empire mortar, etc...) are all on 40K round bases when they are small like the chukka but when the model gets larger like the mortar and you want to create a sort of scene I use cds! That's right regular old music, aol, whatever you have! I did this with a goblin rock lobba and it looks sweet! Get yourself a couple of old aol cds or something and sand all sides so that they will glue and accept paint better. Next I take zap a gap or crazy glue and join the cds together making sure to get all of the rim of the cd to be joined covered with glue. Wipe off the excess and let dry. Give a light sand to the edges to smooth it out. Prime it all black and your ready to go.

Just make sure to sand the primer off the parts you'll actually be glueing the warmachine and figures to first or they won't stick right. I do it like this since it's a whole lot easier to paint the machine and crew before attaching to the base. Sand there parts to be glued as well. By the way the reason I glue to cds together is because it makes it easier to pick up your model and by doing so you don't have to actually constantly be touching the model after all you don't want to mess up your paint job right? Yes I know about clear coating the model but I still believe in minimum contact for maximum life!

Another thing is as already stated when your machines are being targeted it's the M-A-C-H-I-N-E that's being targeted not the base! It's pretty clear in the book also where it is you measure from when firind said machine. Some people....!

DeathlessDraich
19-06-2008, 09:31
I'm not totally clear on WHFB rules on bases, but can something like a cannon or a bolt thrower be placed on a base, especially when using a conversion that would have a different size profile than the original model?

You can mount the 'machine' only on a base.

The rules forbid mounting the whole warmachine on a common base

The exact base size is unknown.
Basing the machine could create a slight disadvantage to the warmachine.

Gobbo Lord
19-06-2008, 10:03
The rules forbid mounting the whole warmachine on a common base

Because if i turn up with my warmachine on a common base (by this i take it you mean both the crew and the machine stuck to the same base). Then the game will somehow be ruined. I dont see where this is in the Rulebook.

Basing the machine could create a slight disadvantage to the warmachine.

Again the disadvantage will be that the area your machine covers will increase in size by mere millimeteres. If this is a problem inform you opponent that although your machine is based they still need to hit the machine model itself for purposes of charges etc. I dont see a problem with this however as basing a machine makes your army look so much better and more coherent for the sake of a few milimeteres larger base size (which often people let you have for charges etc)

MrBigMr
19-06-2008, 12:25
At the moment it looks like I'm going with 40mm bases on the bolt throwers and 50mm one on the cannon (though I think I can squeeze it on a 40mm one too), simply to get them "on the level" with other models and help them stay upright. And to make them look nicer. I don't care about "minor disadvangates" it might have. If my opponent decides to be a dick (and I can name one or two that I know will wanna start an argument over based war machines), it's their problem. I'll allow them to target the bases if that's the price I have to pay to keep the game flowing.

ZeroTwentythree
19-06-2008, 15:10
Because if i turn up with my warmachine on a common base (by this i take it you mean both the crew and the machine stuck to the same base). Then the game will somehow be ruined. I dont see where this is in the Rulebook.

I think what he might have in mind is that the crew move to defend the machine from the chargers.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to just assume they move there if they are glued to a base, and just figure out how many attacks are going on, direction of the charge & potential overrun, etc.

Personally, I really wouldn't care if they're glued down or not, as long as the owner was cool about the above issue.

Bortus
19-06-2008, 18:14
Anyone with a problem about a great looking base is an idiot! Anyone who tries to take some sort of advantage due to thier model being on a larger size base is an idiot. It's all common sense and it makes for a nicer looking army. For gods sake it's a game! Do you want to know what my gaming club thought when I turned out the bases I modeled in the sizes I posted earlier? They thought they were bitchen' and we proceeded to play without another thought about it. Geez! :0

Royal Tiger
19-06-2008, 18:50
For gods sake it's a game!
wait, WHAT!!!, its only a game?!?!...............weird, the way some people go on about it I thought it was a matter of life or death

:D

ZeroTwentythree
19-06-2008, 19:00
Heh. Yeah. I'm having a hard time even understanding what the problem is. :eyebrows:

:D

MrBigMr
19-06-2008, 19:17
I'm once again reminded why I shouldn't start topics... I'm like some Frankenstein version of King Midas. Everything I touch turns ugly, into a monsters.

Bortus
19-06-2008, 22:41
No, you started a topic with a valid question. Forget any negative posts, remember everything I and a few others said and get to basing now! :)

Royal Tiger
19-06-2008, 23:45
indeed base the models and damn the naysayers opinions

DAMN THEM ALL I SAY!!!!!