PDA

View Full Version : Oath Stones

larabic
18-06-2008, 06:53
Does anyone use them? The only way i think i would use them is against undead that don't run away if they lose combat. I think it is useless against most armies because you can't move once you plant it so getting hit by three units and winning is useless because they can run away and rally and you are stuck there the whole game. Maybe i just don't get it but it doesn't seem like that good of a thing, can some one convince me of these or share some kind of tactics?

Atzcapotzalco
18-06-2008, 07:56
That's still a big improvement on getting hit from three sides and destroyed, and remember you don't *have* to use the oathstone if you don't feel the situation is sufficiently desperate. Also, they can *try* to rally, but their success isn't a certainty, and even if they do they lose a turn reforming, on top of a flee move which has put them out of position, and any unit which flees from combat loses its standard. Finally, even if otherwise unused, an oathstone's magic resistance is a useful ability nearly worth the points in itself.

explorator
18-06-2008, 14:14
The Oathstone also provides MR 1 which normally costs 15 points anyway. The way I see it, I am paying 5 points for the option to 'set the stone'. I use one in my Ironbreakers so they have a 2+ save in close combat, having no flanks/rear allows all engaged Dwarfs to benefit from hand weapon and shield bonus. I set the stone with my IB's and counter-charge with GW armed Hammerers and Longbeards

TeddyC
18-06-2008, 14:28
Stick a couple of powerful characters in there... tooled up lord on sheildbearers in a big unit of ironbreakers (or hammerers.... am I the only person to use these?) and you pretty much immovable.

BSB nearby? If the enemy is attacking you and youve got smaller units (rangers? slayers? even quarrellers or thunderers) you can then get a flank charge in on them.

Ill admit its not a very useful item but like was said re MR1.... for only 5 points more its worth it

Granitearm
18-06-2008, 15:32
I find it to be really useful against ogres.

It messes up their battle line, and prevents an autobreak because you lost your ranks to a flank charge.

Froth
18-06-2008, 16:57
Oathstones? I love 'em and almost always include one as a standard fixture in lists of over a 1000 pts.

Mainly as insurance against being flanked or surrounded by fast moving foes; which, for Dwarfs, includes pretty much everyone! I also favour placing the Oathstone owner with Ironbreakers. They can usually hold long enough for you to get in a counter attack and if given the right runic backup, they'll grind down even the most persistent of enemy buggers on their own.

Setting the stone means immobilizing the unit, so you need to be sure it's going to pay off, or you'll sit there twiddling your beard for the rest of the game.

You could always use the Master Rune of Challenge to bring to the foe to you.
Or make the dirty goat-worryers run away. That'll learn 'em!

Mazdug
18-06-2008, 18:53
I haven't the book with me, but I'm pretty sure that the wording on the oathstone requires you to drop it once charged. That means that a player willing to sacrifice some fast cav or flyers can pin the unit very early on if they are willing to take some risks.

That said, in well rounded/gunline dwarf armies, the ability to anchor 1 flank with an oathstone, and the other with say, a unit of slayers, makes for an army that is very very hard to get to the flank or rear of.

pcgamer72
18-06-2008, 19:32
I haven't the book with me, but I'm pretty sure that the wording on the oathstone requires you to drop it once charged. That means that a player willing to sacrifice some fast cav or flyers can pin the unit very early on if they are willing to take some risks.

You can choose whether or not to drop the Oathstone when you are charged.

goat314
20-06-2008, 02:28
"While the character lives, if the Stonebearer unit is charged, the character may 'set the stone' and stand upon it as part of a Hold reaction."

p.28 Dwarf Armybook.

The neat thing is, you don't have to drop it with the first charge. If you are engaged to the front and charged in the flank a turn later, you can set it then.

OldMaster
20-06-2008, 05:54
I think it's a nasty thing to face.
Never played against it.

W0lf
20-06-2008, 07:24
People over-rate the not moving issue.

Normally its turn 4-5 when dwarves see hard combat action. Not being able to move for 2 turns isnt that bad.

Oh and i didnt think it needed to be said but you only use the oath stone when you are going to lose combat for sure. The unit sitting in place is far better then it being beaten and run down.

Still if your asking, i dont use them.