PDA

View Full Version : The power of dwarfs

izikial
18-06-2008, 07:22
i have created this thread to see if you think that dwarfs are a usable army, dwarfs have always had a hard time, but with the releas of the powerful vc and deamon books dwarfs just seen to keep geting left behind. so do you think that dwarfs can be used effectifly to get a result that is better than a draw and if so how do you do it. what tactics do you use and do you have to reliy on the refused flank artiliry barage or can they take the fight to the enamy

Mazdug
18-06-2008, 18:56
Dwarves are a fine army, and I don't see them getting any less potent with daemons or VX taking to the field. Dwarves can easily get a very good magic defence, which hinders VC a great deal, and once you a slap a rune on your artillery, it becomes magic and negates daemonic saves. You'll still have the problems dwarves have against everyone else (being outmanuevered, being a stunty git who I hate), but overall, I think they remain top-tier, especially if you go the much hated gunline route.

Malorian
18-06-2008, 19:00
The dwarfs are a great army and very tough, and you don't need to go to a gun line to be very competitive with them.

Try this on VC: Have your super dwarflord and use the rune of challenge on the vampire general. Since they can't flee they have to charge. Then proceed to SMASH the vampire general to bits.

Unless they always keep the general in the bunker then they are in BIG trouble.

pcgamer72
18-06-2008, 19:18
and once you a slap a rune on your artillery, it becomes magic and negates daemonic saves.

Daemons have normal ward saves now, so magic attacks do not negate them.

Dwarfs are still a very good army though. Point denial is their game, and they play it very well! Damn stunties just won't die...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
18-06-2008, 20:28
I always do well with my dwarfs i dont think that they are getting nerfed. They can shoot fight and well not move!;)

Marwynn
18-06-2008, 21:42
But please do slap some runes on your artillery against VC's Ethereal creatures. Tough sonuvaguns they are.

Malorian
18-06-2008, 21:54
But please do slap some runes on your artillery against VC's Ethereal creatures. Tough sonuvaguns they are.

Or take an anvil...

pkain762
19-06-2008, 02:48
anvil in high pt games is the way to go... it gives you so many options..... and it can't be stopped..... so once per your turn you can shoot his army w/the anvil.... move/charge a unit in the shooting phase, charge miners on the turn that they come out of the ground.... just so many options it gives you.... it doubles your march/charge movement of the dwarves... so instead of charge 6 inches you can have a march of 6 and then a charge of another 6 in the shooting phase.... it's really nice...

then you have hard hitting units like the iron breakers and hammerers to protect your anvil... i personally stick my anvil in a corner and have two or three units protecting it... then you have slayers... that are a good swamp unit... unbreakable..... and it'll take atleast two or three turns to kill them all

solid army

kain

i was this close |--| to starting a dwarf army... and i still might... just because they're a fun and solid army....

kain

wizuriel
19-06-2008, 04:09
the true power of dwarfs lies in the east not the west :p

but yeah seen dwarfs do some sick things. Though personally I would imagine them to be a very dry army. no magic phase and a very limited movement phase :( (even if they move faster than my chaos dwarfs, that list at least have fast moving units).

still they have uber reliable shooting, war machines and hard as nail characters and units. just don't duel daemon special characters (but they are a whole different story :mad:)

izikial
19-06-2008, 11:53
thx for all the feed back, i really am tempted into a dwarf offensiv list, all your help has been much apreciated

kroq'gar
19-06-2008, 12:00
thx for all the feed back, i really am tempted into a dwarf offensiv list, all your help has been much apreciated

You'll never field anything other than a reactionary force, however none come better.

shartmatau
19-06-2008, 13:23
I am currently finishing painting my dwarf anvil army with Strollas Banner. I have to say its pretty good but its a bit hard to get used to. My dwarves can be at mid field on turn one, and with solid core choices I'm generally not shying away from getting charged. And then anvilling in a counter charged or hitting flyers/monsters/cavalry with the shooting power.
The rule of thumb is never use the ancient power until at least turn 4 and most likely not until turn 5. (Or the turn before it will get charged by something nasty.)
Its a fun army but like I said it takes some getting used to, dwarves moving...WAHHH!!!

explorator
19-06-2008, 14:00
Try this on VC: Have your super dwarflord and use the rune of challenge on the vampire general. Since they can't flee they have to charge. Then proceed to SMASH the vampire general to bits.

Master Rune of Challenge is great, but it has no effect on models that are immune to pyschology.

Dwarfs are no worse with the release of VC and Demons, in fact Dwarf anti-magic can make VC and Demon magic phases tough. The vast selection of war machines allows Dwarfs to prepare for many enemies; cannon for Dragons and Greater Demons, Organ guns for skirmishers and fast-cav, Gyrocopters, Flame cannon, etc. I imagine the Goblin-Hewer would give many VC a headache.

Dwarfs are the army upon which your enemy will smash themselves to death. I suggest you check out Bugmans (http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/) for all things Dwarf.

Bran Dawri
19-06-2008, 20:11
Dwarf's 4 dispel dice won't stand up to a VC (or Tzeentch) magic phase, and their shooting is too expensive to dish out enough retaliatory punishment.
I, personally, am having a hard time getting even draws with dwarfs against the new army books (as well as Brets) without resorting to gunlines or Thorek lists.
(Then again, my gaming club tends to be pretty cutthtoat, and dwarfs have traditionally never done well in such an environment.)