PDA

View Full Version : upping my Bretonnians to 2k....

mrspadge
18-06-2008, 07:46
i have had some limited success with my 1kpts of brettonia, so i figured i would start to branch out a bit and try some new stuff...

please note, this is EVERY model i have, plus quite a few proxies untill i can get the proper models....

also, i dont have my list on me, so forgive me if i get the odd bit of equipment wrong ;)

Lord - Brettonian Lord
- Grail Vow
- royal pegasus
- Magic armour (4+sv, WS10)
- Talisman (can only take 1 wound per phase, unless hit by magic attacks)
- virtue (enemy cannot get an outnumber bonus)
- lance
- shield

Hero - Damsel
- lv 2 mage
- 2 dispel scrolls
- barded warhorse

Hero - Damsel
- lv 2 mage
- 2 dispel scrolls
- barded warhorse

Hero - paladin (BSB)
- barded warhorse
- magic banner (enemies cant stand and shoot)
- Virtue (+1 to combat res)

Core - 12 Knights of the relm
- full command

Core - 12 Knights of the relm
- full command

Core - 10 peasant bowmen

Core - 10 peasant bowmen
- skirmish
- flaming shots

Core - 20 men at arms
- full command

Special - 5 pegasus knights
- full command

Rare - Trebuchet

i think that is about it. the lord tends to follow the pegasi around, i try to set up charges against war machine crews with him. once the lord is released, the pegasus knights will try to combine a rear charge with the 2 KOTR units hitting something. archers will harrass enemy light infantry, though i have had quite a bit of luck picking off mounted characters with them. the foot mounted damsel joins the skirmished archers (not for any real tactical reason...), the warhorse mounted damsel joins the KOTR unit the BSB DIDDNT join.

as much as it seems to always scatter off target or misfire, my guess ranges for the trebuchet have been pretty impressive so far (furthest i have been out is 4", and that was a guess of 60" :cool: )

i would like to include a couple more units of pegasus knights (the models are pretty damned nice) but i keep getting told to include grail knights - they just seem a little...... "fragile" for what they cost (though their punch is undeniable ;))

for what its worth, this is my first list at 2000pts, be gentle :angel:

Necromancer2
18-06-2008, 12:38
a unit of Grail Knights would definately take some of the heat off your lord and Pegesi

Bumble the Great
18-06-2008, 13:05
You say that the grail knights are a little to fragile but use them once and see how much damage they can do!
also as Necromancer2 has said this will distract your opponent so even if ue throwns everything he can at them, your Pegasus knights and Kotr will get alot more room to manover!
and the banner of defence is pretty good on the grail knights 4+ ward on and bolt throwers cannons ect..

Sir Lambard
18-06-2008, 13:18
i prefer to run a unit of questing knights instead of grail knights
just incase you run into an unbreakable unit that must be killed, the questers will become the anvil unit that the KotR will hit from a flank, while the grails may not do enough damage on the charge
just my opinion :p
also trebuchet is a great choice glad to see someone else who uses one

mrspadge
18-06-2008, 14:56
i prefer to run a unit of questing knights
also trebuchet is a great choice glad to see someone else who uses one

i have been considering taking TWO of them :eek: (would hopefully make up for the appauling scatter rolls i seem to get :rolleyes: )

i think that once i get some more pegasus knight models, i will take a normal mounted lord and just have a single unit of 5/6 pegasi. in my last game, my opponent managed to snipe the royal pegasus, and although he let me proxy a "foot" character, i cant expect that from every opponent.

i definately want to steer clear of taking the 60+ cavalry army i have seen. my current fantasy armies are wood elves and brettonia and i am getting really ****** off with people telling me my army is beardy before i even open my case.

something is seriously wrong when i am labelled as a beardy player becuase i like cavalry models :mad:

but that mini-rant aside, i have been very impressed with the archers and the men at arms. they provide nice cheap units that can hold my table quarters or help out a unit of knights that were bogged down be getting a flank charge (assuming the pegasi are otherwise engaged ;) ).

Donga666
18-06-2008, 15:19
I would not field 5 peggies with full command, the most is 4 with a musician but most offen 3 with music. You would be better spending that 110 points for 2 peggies on a regiment of 6 Yeomen with a musician and running the peggies in 3's.

The peggy lord needs a more aggresive Virtue, the outnumbering one is quite good but he has to be a combat monster to gain back his points. Drop the WS 10 armour and give him Virtue of the ideal, then make a damsel the general.

I've found that 12's of KOTR is too big, 9's are ideal. 3x9's is better than 2x12's especially against gun lines/magic heavy. Loose the lvl two's on the damsels to pay for that, lvl 2 are not 35pts better IMHO! So make three times 8 and put a character in each! 2 KOTR and an Errant.

+BSB Warbanner is much better than the Banner of Chalons, +3 static CR is excellent.

Anyway, ignore if you want :D

Sir Lambard
18-06-2008, 23:18
two trebuchets! that must be a first, the other dukes wont kno what to think :)
anyway thats a very good idea, id say u have to focus fire with both to be effective,
imagine if you just needed that extra stone to take out a unit of chairots
all in all that sounds like a fun idea
and i like where you're going with the lord, mounts just become the targets of war machine, but put him in some knights, and that unit will kill almost anything
i look forward to see your final list

mrspadge
19-06-2008, 07:11
I would not field 5 peggies with full command, the most is 4 with a musician but most offen 3 with music. You would be better spending that 110 points for 2 peggies on a regiment of 6 Yeomen with a musician and running the peggies in 3's.

being a noob, i suffer from this fear that loosing the first model from a squad
should NOT aversely affect their performance. this means i tend to take (at least) one more model than "tactically" required so that i can absorb the first caasualty and still maintain full effectiveness. when i need to shave points i start removing the extra models

The peggy lord needs a more aggresive Virtue, the outnumbering one is quite good but he has to be a combat monster to gain back his points. Drop the WS 10 armour and give him Virtue of the ideal, then make a damsel the general.

i am seriously thinking of dropping him for a normal mounted lord with the magic sword that ignores armour saves (i put ignoring armour over ANY strength bonus), the 3+ ward when reduced to 1 wound and either the outnumbering virtue or the talisman that stops killing blow/poison.
plus i will be trying to find a cheap way (money wise) of getting some questing knights to go with him.

I've found that 12's of KOTR is too big, 9's are ideal. 3x9's is better than 2x12's especially against gun lines/magic heavy. Loose the lvl two's on the damsels to pay for that, lvl 2 are not 35pts better IMHO! So make three times 8 and put a character in each! 2 KOTR and an Errant.

i have found the large squads to be a bit "unwieldy" but as i mentioned before, i like to have abletive wounds (albeit 2+save abletive wounds:rolleyes: )
i will probably need to drop some of them to accomodate the questing knights

i know the damsels are not that impressive, but the only reason i made them lv 2 was to have a chance of casting a spell. most of the spells in their lores require around 7+ to cast and on 2 dice i dont like taking the chance. i know i have them for dispel scroll duty, but i want them to have an effect in MY magic phase as well.......... if i need to shave points, they will probably go back to Lv1

+BSB Warbanner is much better than the Banner of Chalons, +3 static CR is excellent.

i assume you mean the banner of "you get no rank bonus".

it might be because i have only been up against high elves and orks/goblins but i havent seen that banner prove its worth yet. i tend to break units on the charge without it so i shaved points off by trying out the cheaper banners. i will start to use it again when the chaos players start turning up though - just to see if it performs any better.

Anyway, ignore if you want :D
i NEVER ignore advice ;)

oh and @Sir Lambard - i do like to be different:evilgrin: