PDA

View Full Version : Non-bolt thrower as a bolt thrower.

MrBigMr
18-06-2008, 19:57
I don't know if this belong here of somewhere else, but are there any non-bolt thrower weapons (as in not a big ballista) in the game that use bolt thrower rules? I know there are various weapons using stone thrower and such, but what about bolt throwers?

Bloodknight
18-06-2008, 20:07
Nope. There are a few magic items or spells that penetrate ranks like a bolt thrower, but I am not aware of any other warmachine that uses these rules.

Malorian
18-06-2008, 20:08
There are several weapons that do:

-Ogre hunter's harpoon
-WE Orion's spear
-Two HE magical bows
-Lore of beasts spell

MrBigMr
18-06-2008, 20:24
Spells are fine too. Actually, even better.

I'm just asking as I'm planning to make a cheap Chaos Dwarf army (90% of it converted Skull Pass models) and I already have a hellcannon conversion for a cannon, so I though about converting Skull Pass cannons into sort of steampunk Warp lightning projectors or something and using bolt thrower rules for them.

I know I can do "what ever I fancy as long as it's legal and I let my opponent know about it", but I want to have some sort of a backup on rules for my armies in some form. So that no one can say "shouldn't they look like bolt throwers" or anything like that.

Griefbringer
18-06-2008, 21:22
MrBigMr, I think the easiest way for you to make them look bolt-throwerish is to have them shooting big harpoons instead of cannonballs - just drill a hole in the barrel and stick there some suitable spear-shaft.

Actually, back in the 14th century there were actually cannons shooting iron arrows, until the gunners came to the conclusion that the cannonballs were better.

MrBigMr
18-06-2008, 21:54
You know the feeling when you've missed something totally obvious? I'm having it right now.

That is a good idea. All I need now are good harpoon tips. That one guy holding the barrel cleaner thingy will make a nice "reloader" etc. I'll still have to make it "chaotic. Maybe try and give it a different muzzle or something. Probably a targeting device as well.

Braad
19-06-2008, 05:44
Just have a bolt sticking out of the barrel, to represent the boltthrower.
Shouldn't be much doubt then.

Griefbringer
19-06-2008, 06:49
All I need now are good harpoon tips.

There are a ton of plastic kits with different sorts of spear heads - orcs, saurus, dark elves, night goblins, Bretonnians etc. Just put on your biggest hat and go raiding near-by bits boxes. While at it, look for other bits to decorate your cannon - spikes, skulls, severed heads etc.

Bumble the Great
19-06-2008, 07:22
Yeah Bretonnian Men at arms spearr/halberd heads would work very well for this!

Ward.
19-06-2008, 07:44
Also look around for particularly vicious looking weapons (swords mostly). I know sometimes when your looking for a blade you can subconsciously block out anything that doesn't match the starting profile.

T10
19-06-2008, 08:50
Spells are fine too. Actually, even better.

I'm just asking as I'm planning to make a cheap Chaos Dwarf army (90% of it converted Skull Pass models) and I already have a hellcannon conversion for a cannon, so I though about converting Skull Pass cannons into sort of steampunk Warp lightning projectors or something and using bolt thrower rules for them.

Have some sort of cone stick out of the barrel and you've got yourself a sweet death rocket deal.

-T10

xragg
19-06-2008, 12:48
Put a severed head on the end of the bolt with the point of the spearhead barely showing. Very gruesome look and you dont need to worry about a point that way :)