PDA

View Full Version : Why no Heavy Armor + Shield + Spear?

minionboy
18-06-2008, 21:16
No clue why, but this has been bugging me for YEARS. Has anyone ever put to thought the reason why no unit in the game has Heavy Armor, Shields and Spears?

This would be a great elite level infantry, or even normal infantry to base an army around, but it hasn't been done in the last few editions. What's the deal?!

Malorian
18-06-2008, 21:25
Saurus warriors w/ spears and the spawning of quetzl? Ya, they kick butt ; )

theunwantedbeing
18-06-2008, 21:27
Pretty sure dogs of war can do that.
*checks*

Hmmm....seems they dont.
There arent any mounted variant's on that theme either.
Saurus are the closest rulewise but they dont actually have heavy armour.

The only things I can think of that actually get to pull off that combo are elven and empire hero's.

acumen
18-06-2008, 21:30
My buddy's got Chaos Warriors with spears. I can't remember what edition of the game they were in though.

minionboy
18-06-2008, 21:36
@Malorian: Yeah, that's the closest thing i've found.

@theunwantedbeing: That's the second best, you can get Pikes and Heavy Armor, but no Shield.

@acumen: That was 5th Edition, when you could also have Dwarves with Heavy Armor, Spears and Shields.

I've been through each list, top to bottom, no Heavy Armor, Shield and Spear combo.

OldMaster
18-06-2008, 21:46
Well it certainly isn't overpowered. Maybe It's just about that spears are considered to be very plain and therefore do not come with heavy armour...?

winkypinky
18-06-2008, 21:53
Well HE spearmen used to have the option of heavy armour.
But it was a bad silly with such great defensive units with so good armour saves. (4+)

Bloodknight
18-06-2008, 22:04
DOW have no spear armed troops, and pikemen cannot have shields.

OldMaster
18-06-2008, 22:06
Doesn't cavalry have heavy armour and spear somewhere....?

TonyFlow
18-06-2008, 22:10
I miss dwarves with spears. Great looking worthless models

The Clairvoyant
18-06-2008, 22:14
Wights used to be able to have heavy armour shield and spear.
But that was back in 4th edition.
Mind you, they also had 3 wounds each and cost 37 points.
And i'm pretty sure if they failed a break test, the whole unit went pop :D

So not that great afterall!

kiron
18-06-2008, 22:36
because people would not bother with the spears and switch for the hand-shield bonus for saves instead

scarletsquig
18-06-2008, 22:44
because people would not bother with the spears and switch for the hand-shield bonus for saves instead

Only against high toughness foes.

Against t3, low armour, spears are the better option, since the damage output of the spears more than compensates for the models you lose due to the armour save being 1 lower.

Thommy H
18-06-2008, 23:08
Simple: every army that uses spears for cavalry is "low tech" so don't have armoured cavalry. Any culture that's developed heavy cavalry has also developed the lance to go with it.

minionboy
18-06-2008, 23:20
Simple: every army that uses spears for cavalry is "low tech" so don't have armoured cavalry. Any culture that's developed heavy cavalry has also developed the lance to go with it.

Not just mounted, but how about on foot?

I'd imagine having regular foot troops equipped with Heavy Armor, Spears and Shields to be really effective. 4+ save and still fight in ranks? Where do I sign up!

Thommy H
18-06-2008, 23:23
I think it's the same reason, really. It just kind of "feels" wrong for a unit with spears to have plate armour. Like Wood Elves with handguns. Spears are grunt weapons too - any foot troops in heavy armour are usually elite warriors, so they'd look weird with spears.

minionboy
18-06-2008, 23:43
I think it'd look good. Take a look at Dark Elf Spearmen, they're nearly in heavy armor and they look great!

Wonder if it's something we'll see in a future army at all.

txamil
19-06-2008, 01:34
Black Guard. Shhhh!

Unwise
19-06-2008, 02:55
Spears are seen as a largely militia or peasant levy weapon. They are cheap to produce and easy to arm the masses with. So generally, the people that use spears are not elites, so have only rudimentry armor.

Still, it does seem odd that there is not a single unit with that combination. You would think at least the DE/HE would have a unit that could do that.

Sir Charles
19-06-2008, 03:07
Yep, which is why it makes no sense to me that hand weapons are not only cheaper, but are the default over polearms.

kroq'gar
19-06-2008, 03:10
Used to be imperial dwarves, but its so undwarven to have spears...

sabre4190
19-06-2008, 04:47
I think its just one of those weird situations. Light infantry tend to have spears, which is why we have a fair number of units with that build. With heavily armored units, they are either more elite and have more offensive weapon options (empire, elves, vampires) or are the standard unit for the race and spears dont fit with the image (dwarfs or chaos).

minionboy
19-06-2008, 23:51
Yeah, I don't like weird situations. I'm hoping one day I'll have heavily armored spear men, it just seems like win/win. Same armor as swordsmen, fight in ranks... Maybe even an elite unit of them, if not core.

txamil
20-06-2008, 00:41
Used to be imperial dwarves, but its so undwarven to have spears...

Which is weird, really. you'd think dwarfs would want the extra reach.

Condottiere
20-06-2008, 11:33
Which is weird, really. you'd think dwarfs would want the extra reach.I suspect they prefer to trade that in for damage, ie great weapons.:)