PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Host - Advice needed on 2250 High Elves

Ganymede
19-06-2008, 00:07
Heya everyone. I am retiring my ogres for now and looking into starting a new Fantasy army. So far I am excited to paint up some high elves. Tell me what you think of this possible list.

The Phoenix Host - 2250 Pts - High Elves Army

Prince @ 187 Pts
General; Great Weapon
Armour of Caledor

19 Phoenix Guard @ 315 Pts
Halberd; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician; Champion

Noble @ 147 Pts
Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield; Great Eagle

Mage @ 150 Pts
Magic Level 1; Lore of High Magic
Trickster's Pendant
Dispel Scroll

18 SpearElves @ 187 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Champion

Mage @ 140 Pts
Magic Level 1; Lore of High Magic
Annulian Crystal

18 SpearElves @ 187 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Champion

6 Dragon Princes @ 225 Pts
Barding; Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield; Musician; Champion; Amulet of Light

6 Dragon Princes @ 225 Pts
Barding; Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Banner of Ellyrion

5 Dragon Princes @ 160 Pts
Barding; Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield; Musician

Casting Pool: 4

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 87

Total Army Cost: 2243

Marwynn
19-06-2008, 02:37
Wow that's a lot of Dragon Princes! I like the three infantry blocks with Dragon Princes by the side. Kudos on the GE Noble too.

I think it's a very strong list. A few things: Your Prince is undergeared. He's lacking a Ward Save for one thing, he'll need one. Vambraces of Defense is a bargain considering it gives you a 4+ Ward and a rerollable AS, with AoC that's a 2+ rerollable.

Free up some points somewhere, I'd go so far as to sacrifice either the second mage with the Annulian Crystal or one 5-man DP unit to give one Spear block the War Banner and the other the Lion Banner. You can easily swap it out for the Banner of Arcane Protection if necessary. But the Lion Banner is quite useful.

Give the Phoenix Guard a Magic Banner too. The free points could buy you other things.

A Longbow for the Noble on the Great Eagle (or the Reaver Bow). Or the Star Lance or even the Ring of Fury if you kept both of the Mages; you'll be able to sneak that in after casting Drain Magic.

I'm sure you're aware you've sacrificed the use of the most reliable warmachine in the game, but that's alright. Eagles though, my good man, are quite invaluable. A pair can do marvellous things that even your DPs can't.

Ganymede
19-06-2008, 03:01
I could easily free up 55 points for the vambraces by stripping the musicians off all of the Dragon Prince units. I'd love to get the Phoenix guard a war banner, but it is starting to push my point limit.

I'll take your advice into consideration, but I am already realizing it is going to be damn tough to put everything I want into my army. Dang.

Terrokhan
19-06-2008, 07:40
How are you allowed soooo many dragon princes? arnt they special? I read this thing acouple of weeks back about a 2250 tournament winning HE force. From what i can remember(not all of it) it had a big unit of dragon princes, lion chariot, 2 units of reavers or some cheap common unit with bows and finaly a prince riding a star dragon fully kitted up. Would be very hard to stop, you would need battery of cannons or a kitted up bloodthirster to stop that. The dragon itself has like 7 WS7 S7 attacks. Plus it would be awesome fun playing a lord on a dragon...

Marwynn
19-06-2008, 14:01
A Star Dragon has 6 WS7 S7 attacks though it's at I2 to keep that in mind. The UKGT winning list had a very focused cavalry force, nicely stacked really. It's not really that hard to kill one, a pair of Great Cannon, some handgunners, even good ol' S3 bows can take out a few valuable wounds off the Prince or even the Star Dragon.

HEs have 6 Special Slots at 2K and he's using them all up with the PG and 5 DP units.

Hehe yep Ganymede, even with all the slots we have it's tough digging up the points eh?

isidril93
19-06-2008, 14:33
you need a ward for the lord (hey that rhymes!) amd some magic banners but other wise its a good list. you could even make 2 units of dps into 1 strong 1 of ten to have a centre cavalary

Anardakil
19-06-2008, 14:34
The Phoenix host? Looks much more like an army from Caledor to me. I think five units of dragon princes would be a bit unfair :P but hey it would probably look really cool.

riven5
19-06-2008, 14:40
A hyper-mobile force, very cool. Some minor suggestions: The Noble mounted on a Great Eagle? Give that guy the BSB. And while you're at it, give him the Battle Banner. You know, just to mess with everybody! Bahahaha! Nothing quite like a rear charge from a Noble to make people say "Big deal...wait, he gets +d6 CR?" What can I say, I like dirty tricks. Such a Noble would be quite fragile and expensive in terms of points, though no more frail than your current one.

Definitely agree with the previous posters; get some magic banners. I realize trimming this list will be tough, but if you knocked out even one unit of DPs you could probably afford most any banners you want. Four units of DPs is plenty!

Honestly unless your foe can utterly destroy you in the magic phase you'll be tough to beat!

Machiavelli
20-06-2008, 07:49
Don't keep dose Nobles naked! They are nothing like heroes but big headed champions in this list. Give them weapones and armour and war. (star lance is perfect for this army, don't leave guardian phoenix at home...)
Banner of ellyrion.
And the annulian crystal is useless. Not worth 40 points.

W A L 5 H Y
21-06-2008, 22:32
If ur gonna battle with this u need some swordmasters i know there not pheonix but the are nails!!!!!!!!!!!!!