PDA

View Full Version : Charging with dwarfs

TonyFlow
19-06-2008, 10:38
I have been reading quite often here, that it is next to impossible to get a charge with dwarfs. So it was with that in mind, that i played my first game in 6 years the other day against chaos. It was 4K, so i brought an Anvil of Doom. With this one in the army i got around half the charges... It gives you an effective charge range of 12 inches...
I didnt try it yet, but combined with the standard rune that allows you to make a move with all units within 12 inches before the game, i see dwarfs as quite mobile. Maybe because i am comparing them to 5th ed.? Even though you would have to invest in an anvil and the banner to move, i am quite sure it is possible to surprise your opponent by actually often getting the charge, and not being that easily outmanouvred.

xragg
19-06-2008, 12:50
Anvil is probally the most broken thing in the game. At least you get a chance to dispel other players magic (like VC's dance), but you cant do diddly against the dwarf "dance".

pcgamer72
19-06-2008, 12:57
Anvil is probally the most broken thing in the game. At least you get a chance to dispel other players magic (like VC's dance), but you cant do diddly against the dwarf "dance".

I can't agree with this at all, unless Thorek is mounted atop the Anvil of course! The Anvil is pretty good but not gamebreaking. You're not going to see people using Ancient Power very often (mostly if they are already losing and need something big) on the normal Anvil, so having only one unit move an extra 6'' or a unit take D6 hits isn't horrible. Yes, the 1/2 movement is kind of annoying since it doesn't require any casualties, but the EarthShaker does the same thing to multiple units quite often!

Armilthuan
19-06-2008, 12:58
On the other hand, It can only be 'cast' once a turn. If he tries to move multiple units, he risks losing the machine. It's also as costly as a Vampire Lord (IIRC). Compare a Vampire Lord versus an Anvil, and you'll know what I choose.

Thorek, on the other hand, is quite nasty.

TonyFlow
19-06-2008, 14:38
I certainly dont think it is broken either... Thorek is broken. But the anvil alone is ALOT of points tied up. First you have to buy the Runelord and then the anvil, and they cant really do anything else than stand in a corner and be used once every turn.
But it does bring a great variation to the before so predictable dwarfs. Finally you can susprise your enemy with a charge instead of having X blocks of infantry in a chess pattern waiting to be charged, redirecting, and so on

ZeroTwentythree
19-06-2008, 15:46
Try mixing some miners & rangers in with the anvil, the bonus-move rune, and the one that forces an opponent to charge and you've got a pretty manuverable dwarf army. I've seen this sort of army played at least as much the "typical" static dwarf army, if not more. So I always consider the dwarves as fairly maneuverable, but it depends on the individual player's style.

W0lf
20-06-2008, 07:30
If you want power use Thorek. If not dont bother.

I find normal anvils as a pointless waste of points in all honesty.

Thorek is hella broken thou.. dwarves were made to hold charges.. whent hey get a charge.. omg.

Condottiere
20-06-2008, 08:00

In all fairness, the dwarves do need something to remain competitive, however I would preferred that it affects only units in LOS.

xragg
20-06-2008, 12:38
broken =/= OP. What I meant by broken is that there is almost nothing your opponent can do to interact with your use of an anvil. It doesnt work like magic, it doesnt need line of sight, etc.