PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen 3k, All comers (I hope)

trolloc
19-06-2008, 18:48
After taking a 7-month break from the hobby and only recently coming back, I decided to formulate my first 3000 point list using what assets I already had. In the end, this is what I came up with:

Lords and Heroes

Slann
2nd Gen
BSB
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
Plaque of Tepok
Diadem of Power

Scar-Veteran
Itzl
Light Armor
Cold One
Enchanted Shield
Glyph Necklace
Biting Blade

Skink Priest
Lvl2
Dispel Scroll x 2

Core

20 Saurus Warriors
-Full Command

20 Saurus Warriors
-Full Command

16 Temple Guard
-Shields
-Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers
-Scouts

Special

3 Kroxigors

3 Kroxigors

4 Terradons

5 Cold One Riders
-Standard Bearer
-Huanchi's Blessed Totem

6 Chamelion Skinks

Rare

3 Salamander Hunting Packs

Total: 2960pts

Any commentary? I was hoping to make it as close to an all-comers list as I could, able to hold its own against a majority of the armies.

EDIT 1:

Slann became BSB
Skink Priest added
Skink units made legal (8-10)
TG reduced (20-16)
Cavalry reduced (8-5)
Krox Ancients removed
Chameleon Stalker removed

Prophet of Quetzl
19-06-2008, 19:29
Well, to start with your Skink units need to be 10 or more to make them legal (IIRC but I don't have the book to hand so I may be wrong)

Second, 20 TG is nice but with a 2ndGen Frog it is a stack of eggs in one basket. You could reduce this to 14 for 6x3 (including the big guy) or 16 for 5x4 and have the Slann surrounded. That could save you between 72-108 points!

Third, 8 Cold One riders seems an odd number apart from the fact that that is how many you get in a box! I would say 5 or 6 without command (maybe muso only) is better. Or rather than having 8 with full command why not try 2x5 naked for only 20 pts more?

Also, I don't think many people would bother with Kroxigor Ancients or Chameleon Stalkers. Saves you another 46pts.

You are playing a Saurus infantry list so you need your Slann to be the BSB; I think a BSB is the single most important thing to have in a Saurus infantry list. Other than that the list looks a little character light. You could do with a JSoD or FSoD in there to aid the Terries and a Skink priest can really help the Slann with LoS and should probably carry a scroll too.

But despite these comments I think you have the backbone of a nice rounded army there. All I have really done is tweak a few things that would make it more effective whilst keeping the theme you have started with.

dsw1
19-06-2008, 20:13
Personally I am not a fan of the army. Despite that which has been pointed out by PoQ, I just do not agree with the composition of the army.

I do not understand why you only have two heros? Being that, I am not saying minimum heros in an army can't be effective, but I don't understand why you would take one of the best wizards in the game and not back him up with other wizards :confused:. Personally, to me, magic is more of an "all or nothing" thing as if you go half way with magic, most armies can easily squash it. In 3K I usually have 1 2nd gen and 2 lv2s minimum, at most 2 second gen slanns and 2 lv2s.

I do totally agree with the above post, but I don't think in competitive gaming (as in all comers) with this army will work. I personally think magic could be a huge issue against your armies, as a heavy magic army (such as Tzeench/Vampires) will deal major damage. I also think you maybe quite weak towards war machines (esp your slann with a 4+ ward instead of 2+).

I would advise getting some Skink priests, and the Jwod. A few more skinks may be a good idea as well, those little buggers have a fear factor in my local gw ;), other than this, I think the army comp looks ok :)

trolloc
19-06-2008, 21:40
Well, to start with your Skink units need to be 10 or more to make them legal (IIRC but I don't have the book to hand so I may be wrong)

Ah, darn. You're right, fixed now.

Second, 20 TG is nice but with a 2ndGen Frog it is a stack of eggs in one basket. You could reduce this to 14 for 6x3 (including the big guy) or 16 for 5x4 and have the Slann surrounded. That could save you between 72-108 points!

I've only used the Temple Guard a few times, so I really don't know what overkill is for them. In any case, that does make sense, so I'll try the 5x4 configuration and see how it works

Third, 8 Cold One riders seems an odd number apart from the fact that that is how many you get in a box! I would say 5 or 6 without command (maybe muso only) is better. Or rather than having 8 with full command why not try 2x5 naked for only 20 pts more?

Heh, I've used the cavalry even less than the TG. I'll reduce it to a five-man with the battle standard (I really wanted to use the Totem).

Also, I don't think many people would bother with Kroxigor Ancients or Chameleon Stalkers. Saves you another 46pts.

They were put in there to soak up points. Now that I have more left over...

You are playing a Saurus infantry list so you need your Slann to be the BSB; I think a BSB is the single most important thing to have in a Saurus infantry list.

Have I proved my inexperience yet? Changed.

Other than that the list looks a little character light. You could do with a JSoD or FSoD in there to aid the Terries and a Skink priest can really help the Slann with LoS and should probably carry a scroll too.

my character (outside of the Slann) was only added in after the rest of the army was built, and therefore subject to the remaining points. Now that I have extra, I added a Lvl2 priest with 2 scrolls.

I do totally agree with the above post, but I don't think in competitive gaming (as in all comers) with this army will work. I personally think magic could be a huge issue against your armies, as a heavy magic army (such as Tzeench/Vampires) will deal major damage. I also think you maybe quite weak towards war machines (esp your slann with a 4+ ward instead of 2+).

I think part of the magical weakness may have been alieved with the addition of the priest, and, since I wasn't building this list to be competition the Plaque can be adjusted as needed (prior to battle of course). I just wanted to have a format that could be easily tweaked to be able to combat effectively.

Additionally, the idea of another Scarvet or Priest is appealing, but where else would I skim the points from?

I am ever malleable, and thanks for the advice so far!

OldMagik
20-06-2008, 01:26
Try the Cold One Riders . . . you could knock them off and thats a good Lvl 2 Skink and JSOD right there

trolloc
20-06-2008, 02:40
I'm not sure...When I used the cavalry they were able to completely decimate a flank, and they offered quick support

OldMagik
20-06-2008, 15:52
i'm not saying they aren't good but it would be the easiest way to get the pts. u want . . . thats all
you could knock off a kroxigor unit and chameleon skinks as an alternative that'll get you the pts. and then you can also add some extra soldiers to other units maybe

trolloc
20-06-2008, 21:34
Hmm...What I could do also is convert the existing Scar Vet into a JSOD. That would give me enough points to add an additional Skink Priest.

happy_doctor
06-07-2008, 15:37
So far I agree with the changes the others have suggested.

However, I don't think that you have to alter your character selection in order to have an effective list. Your slann and priest are more than enough for a good magic phase (but not over the top).

-Scar-veteran: The saurus character is simply great, although if I were you i'd spend the extra 15 points to give him the mark of Quetzl and I'd consider swapping his talisman for the Aura of Quetzl as well. With a save of (-1)+ and a 4+ ward, he'll hold up anything your opponent can throw at you. Plus, his cold one makes him and his unit immune to fear, a useful attribute against undead, daemons and the such.
There are many tactics involving saurus heroes on cold ones, one of my favorites is marching him up to 1" from the enemy, thus forcing him to either charge or stay put. The odds are that the hero will hold long enough for my saurus blocks/kroxigors to move for the flank charge.

-Terradons: Since you have the extra points, I'd make them 5-strong (provided you've got the models); they will be able to gain bonuses for flank/rear charges and destroy enemies fleeing through them (US 5+). What's more, the enemy will have to cause 2 casualties in order to force a panic check, which is a bonus.

-Consider swapping the dispel scrolls for the cube of darkness. In high points games, cancelling an opponent's magic phase can be game-winning.

-Cold ones: Somehow the number "5" seems a little small...6 is the way to go, since they can take a casualty or two and still be able to deal damage. If, however, you found the unit size to suit your plans during gameplay, feel free to simply ignore me! ;)

-Slann/Temple guard: The war banner could be useful. After all, you want your 1000-points infantry block engaged in combat, winning and running down enemies. From that point of view, maybe the cupped hands of the old ones (and the plaque of protection, for that matter) are a waste of points. The safest place for your temple guard and precious slann is locked in combat (where he can still cast spells using the LOS of his skink priest, he can't be targeted by enemy fire and can have a larger impact due to the effectiveness of the TG)
Judging from the army selection, you're opting for a combat approach, charging with your saurus blocks as fast as you can, then breaking the enemy with a couple of surgical strikes from the flanks. My suggestion is:drop the cupped hands, neutralize enemy shooting with spells and scouts/flyers, then get stuck in hand-to-hand.