PDA

View Full Version : 2 TK Questions (Magic, Light Chariots)

Morglum5780
20-06-2008, 10:56
I am playing my first tournament game with people other than my normal group soon and want to get a few things straight before i do.

1) the TK incantation of smiting says that it allows 1 attack from btb models, including steeds. a person in a group once expressed that that may mean that while chariots have 2 steeds and 2 crew, it only gets 2 attacks (1 crew and 1 steed) because it was one base. The rest of us think it is both crew and both steeds attack (4 attacks). While the rule book is quite wordy on this, it still is a little unclear as to who is right.

2) Fast Calvary and light chariots...

I have read the fast cavalry section 100 times and it just doesn’t seem right the things my light chariots can do, so i want to make sure i am not cheating. FC can reform as much as they want. Each reform of course has to be pivoted on the center of the unit and also, in each separate reform, no model can move more than their movement (or twice their movement, I cant remember right now, but it doesn’t matter for the purpose of this question).

TK chariots have an 8 movement. with a big unit of 10 chariots (in 2 ranks) you take up a lot of space and therefore can cover a lot of ground while reforming. For example, if reforms are free, there is no need for me to ever make a wheel move (other than while charging), because i can just reform to face where i want to go, doesn’t seem like much but it saves me 2" on a wheel and it is free. So only ever having to move my unit forwards saves me a lot of movement distance, further extending my reach.

I can, in most cases, always get the flank. One time i had my unit of 10 chariots like 5 inches away from my opponents rank and file troops ready to be charged in the front. I had enough room to reform to face 90 degrees and still be 1" away from his unit. So i did this, moved forwards like another 4" and reformed again back to my original facing and moved 4 more inches and then reformed again to look at his flank. I went from being close to his front to being close to his flank and now i can charge in the magic phase.

I am sorry this is so lengthy, but i want to make sure that my take on fast cavalry and light chariots is correct.

Loopstah
20-06-2008, 11:14
"For chariots, both steeds and crew can each make one attack."

I read that as each steed and each crew member can make one attack, as in a normal combat each steed and each crew member is allowed to attack individually.

It could be read as both ways though.

On the Fast Cavalry point I can't see anything wrong with that.

theunwantedbeing
20-06-2008, 11:23
1. Each steed and each rider get's to make a single attack, so each chariot is making 4 attack's when you cast that particular incantation on them.

2. So long as you dont move any chariot more than it's movement allowance your free to reform as and when you like, so things like your moving into a flanking position are perfectly legal.

Amen-Ra
20-06-2008, 15:23
1- the steeds and the crew can each make 1 attack each.

2- The total movement of each chariot in the unit (including the reform) can not be further than the total movement allowed by the unit (8 inches)

Morglum5780
20-06-2008, 19:35
"2- The total movement of each chariot in the unit (including the reform) can not be further than the total movement allowed by the unit (8 inches)"

Is this true? it sounds like you are saying that the distance my chariots move around while i reform counts as part of my 8" movement and that is not what the rules appear to say to me. As far as i know i can reform 100 times during a move and none of that movement counts against the 8.

theunwantedbeing
20-06-2008, 20:02
You may want to read the rules on reforming units.

I'm quite surprised you havent realised how utterly abusive large base fast cavalry unit's can be, even if you are sticking to the rule of keeping the centre of the unit in the same place when reforming.

Morglum5780
20-06-2008, 20:25
-the section on reforming is small and has nothing to do with this, you may mean the section on FC. And i did and found a line that is what i was looking for and what Amen-ra said

"remember no model in a FC unit may move more than double its max move distance, DESPITE reforming"

so my examples are all legal, unless of course that throughout my move I dont move more than 8" forward and no model has moved more than 16" throughout all reforms. As i cant march, i can take a lot more advantage of that rule, like in the above example of never wheeling.

as for them being abusive. Of course i realized it, why else would i make a post asking about it before i played against someone other than my normal opponent?

Nurgling Chieftain
20-06-2008, 21:31
Each model in the unit must end its move within 8" of where it started the move. You don't get 8" for each reform, it's a total displacement measurement. In practice, most people just measure the farthest moving model and don't worry about the individual contortions of getting there.

So, yeah, the vast majority of the time, it's really easy to get to a flank that way. Now, if you can just keep your incantation from getting dispelled, you're all set...

drugar
21-06-2008, 07:38
As a bit of a curiosity, although this sounds incredibly gamey, couldn't a unit of TK chariots move up to 16" so long as its center point moves no more than 8"? Also, if true, would the same not apply to march blocked fast cav?

I've never played it this way, but I couldn't find anything that says you can't, so please, if you do, let me know.

Morglum5780
21-06-2008, 10:57
Yes drugar, and that was my point. It is something that wouldn't come up to often because most FC would just march. But, as per the rules, the chariots themselves can only move 8" but the rules for multiple reforms state each model as up to 16" (in my case) they cane move through out the move. Unless you make some very big reforms, you should be able to move the center 8" anywhere and end in any formation.