PDA

View Full Version : Silencers in =][=

Inquisitor Castleman
20-06-2008, 16:50
The simple problem is I cant seem to find any rules for them in the Book, or online for that matter. So before I bungle my way through producing my own can anyone suggest what would be good?
Obviously they would affect awareness tests and range/accuracy of a gun, anything else Ive missed?

On a side note, I cant believe that no one has thought of this before, or they're so well hidden I cant find them.

Royal Tiger
20-06-2008, 16:58
if I remember correctly, doesn't the boltgun have silenced ammo?, if yes why not just see what effect that has when firing, and apply a similar effect to weapons with a normal silencer

but also maybe restrict what weapons can take them, otherwise everyone would take them just for the hell of it

so maybe Boltguns cannot (because they have a round for it)
Lasguns cannot
Assault cannons cannot etc etc

precinctomega
20-06-2008, 18:22
There are a variety of versions of silencers on the 'net. The thing is that they mostly affect Awareness, which is an issue that most GMs deal with on the fly, rather than worrying too much about exactly what the rules are.

I have a character with a silenced pistol but I've never bothered writing rules for them, preferring to simply leave the effect up to the GM.

IRL, there are so many varieties of methods of "silencing" or "suppressing" a weapon's discharge, each with its own advantages and disadvantages, that trying to incorporate them all in one set of simple rules can be a bit of a headache.

R.

Daredhnu
22-06-2008, 16:28
if i were to GM a game i'd make the following ruling.

??-30%?? to awareness test for hearing the shot. (i'm not completely sure on the awareness rules )
also the range at which the shot can be heared is halved.

-10% to hit penalty when shooting with a silenced weapon.

can only be applied to pistol and basic ballistic weapons except for shotguns.

or something similar to that anyway.

talos935
22-06-2008, 18:05
A supressed weapon is either reduced sound or reduced flash or both if you're a lucky git. In game terms it reduces the distance you can be alerted by the weapon, ie by hearing it.

That's my two bits anyway

precinctomega
22-06-2008, 23:46
For what it's worth, these are my rules for hearing in INQ:

HEARING
A character can clearly hear noises up to a distance equal to half his Initiative – beyond this distance, whilst sounds may be audible, they are insufficiently distinct to figure on a character’s mental radar as being significant. Hearing happens automatically as the noise is created, so the GM should inform players if their characters can or cannot hear events in the course of the round. The hearing distance will be affected by events around a character and by the source of the noise, and the list of possible modifiers is almost endless, so GMs should be sensible. The following are some common modifiers that affect a character’s hearing distance:

• -1 per yard hearing character moved last turn.
• -2 per shot hearing character fired last turn.
• -5 per combat Action hearing character performed last turn.

The following are modifiers that increase how far a character can hear something:

Weapons:
• +1 per point of a weapon’s maximum Damage.
• Multiplied by number of shots in the salvo.

Moving characters:
• +1 per yard moved by moving character.
• Divided by 2 if moving character sneaked or crawled.

Talking characters:
• +1 per 10 points of Strength or part of a shouting character.
• -1 per 10 points of Initiative or part of a whispering character.

NB/ Remember: multiplication and division are applied after all addition or subtraction.

Example: Cultist Yossanda fires two shots from his stubber on semi(2) at Inquisitor Shyloque from outside Shyloque’s arc of vision. Yossanda is 40 yards away from Shyloque. Shyloque’s hearing distance is 35 yards (half his Initiative) and he ran eighteen yards in his last turn, making his hearing distance only 17 yards. However the stubber does a maximum Damage of 14 (2D6+2) and Yossanda fired two shots, so (17+14)x2 = 62 yards. Shyloque easily hears Yossanda’s shots.

Listen Tests
A character can choose to spend Actions listening – this is a more focussed sort of hearing, as they actually strain their ears to make out or locate noises. Listening is not a free Action and will have the usual effect of combined Actions on other Actions. It is possible to combine a listen Action with a pause for breath, but this also counts as a combined Action.

If a character makes a listen test, then roll against his Sagacity. The amount the test is passed by determines how much more information he gets about anything that he heard this round. GMs should exercise their judgment, but the following list is a rough guide:

• <10 - Knows roughly which direction any one sound came from.
• 10-20 - Knows almost exactly where one sound came from, and roughly where any other sound came from
• 20-30 - Knows where one sound came from and what it was, as well as where any other sound came from.
• 30+ - Knows where every sound came from and what they were.

Characters with a low Sg, of course, will struggle to know what certain sounds were, exactly. However, even the dimmest mutant lucks out sometimes. If the listen test is passed with a result equal to or less than one-tenth of the required amount, the GM may wish to convey some additional piece of information. For example, rather than just knowing that the gunshot was a gunshot, the character might recognize it as the distinctive report of the customized Hecuter 10 “Tallarn Eagle” stubber wielded by the feared Inquisitor Enobarbus.

Example: Continuing from our example above, Shyloque (who passed his pinning test) declares that he will spend an Action listening and then pause from breath. He passes his listen test by more than 30 (rolling 42 against a Sg of 86) and knows exactly where the shot came from. After pausing for breath he can either turn and shoot at Yossanda or find cover.

Using these rules makes designing new rules for silencers quite easy. You simply apply a suitable modifier to the figure that dictates how loud a weapon is: it's maximum damage. A crude silencer might halve this figure for working out loudness. A really good one might reduce it to a tenth of its normal loudness (to a minimum of 1).

R.