PDA

View Full Version : Vampire lord dragon/horror, good builds?

forgottenlor
20-06-2008, 18:02
I have no played this lord 4 times at 2000-2500 points, I like him and he has worked well for me, but want to try something else:

Vampire Lord, lvl 3 wizard, Winged nightmare, Master of the Black Arts, Forbidden knowledge, Lord of the Dead, Helm of commandment, Balefire Spike, Flayed Hauberk, Energy stones. , 475 points

Basically he`s a very effective wizard who can wipe out most fliers, skirmishers, and light cavalry who try to get around my infantry.

Im looking to try something a little bit more agressive and wondering if anyone has played a more combat oriented flying lord as general, and what builds you find effective.

theunwantedbeing
20-06-2008, 18:04
Infinite hatred, grants the dragon hatred.
Dreadlance, red fury, avatar of death.

Couple of necromancers with powerstones nearby, give him the book of arkhan.
Van hels him into combat, win combat....rinse repeat.

Jack of Blades
20-06-2008, 18:30
Balefire Spike
Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Mount

You can add stuff for the spare points if you'd like.

heinrichvoncarstein
20-06-2008, 19:04
Are you kidding me! You do know that that vamp lord can take on units on his own right? why in hell would you want helm of commandment on him?

Reinnon
20-06-2008, 19:06
if you stagger your combats right you could have the vampire kill a unit, then pass on his WS to a unit like graveguard thus making them more effective.

forgottenlor
21-06-2008, 11:07
I have found the helm of commandment infinately useful. I play with big blocks of skeletons and grave guard that depend on static cr to win. Most units find it very hard to win against such a unit if it has WS 7. If you put a vampire or a wight king in the unit, they can survive challenges even against lords sometimes. I also think the vampire lord works very, very well as an archmage. With the option of using 7 energy dice and knowing 7 spells, he can dominate the magic phase. Not only that he can remain an awesome caster and take down fast annoying flanking units. I have found the build very, very effective.

Andrew Luke
23-06-2008, 20:58
Yeah, your Lord is pretty much optimal. I run mine almost exactly the same. A lord riding a monster is only really good as a second lord choice. You really need a casty Lord of Death to keep the army going most of the time. Plopping him on top of a large target just seems a little risky. If only we could put a hero level vamp on a dragon like those pesky high elves...

Dairym
24-06-2008, 12:24
Well, since if he loses it's game over, there are plenty of times when you don't want to commit a spellcasting lord to combat. And, if you can swing it, vanhel's on great weapon wielding grave guard, with weaponskill 7, is exceedingly nasty.

I've got my own lord the wristbands of black gold since he first met bolt throwers, but that's mainly so I can complain about being unlucky when they shoot him. If you're looking at combat, the cursed book gives you some insurance against assassinations (especially combined with a zombie dragon's cloud of flies).

OldMaster
24-06-2008, 16:00
Wristbands of Black Gold, dragon....
Not a lot to say.

Azmazi
25-06-2008, 04:07
Wristbands of Black Gold, dragon....
Not a lot to say.

Its actually a very powerful combo, only thing I didn't like with it is losing a hero slot for another caster with more power dice/dispel. Likewise you however get a lord that can deal with hard hitting units solo without much of a problem. As its almost as bad as a BT when you can have the Lord with Dreadlance and Red fury, getting on average between 6-7 wounds a round on the charge, then you have the Dragon getting an average of 3-4 a round, so thats pretty much a guaranteed 9-10 wounds.

Kerill
25-06-2008, 07:50
You can use Manfred the young as a beastie rider I think, you don't have to use your lord, if I did wristbands would definitely be there.