PDA

View Full Version : To and Back - ExoCowboy's 40K Log

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ExoCowboy
25-10-2005, 18:45
Hi all.

I am currently doing too many projects considering painting, but why not start one more? Something for my Inquisitor to hunt, perhaps?

The idea is to redo my 1000pts Word Bearers, with a new armylist composition and a new scheme (and maybe motivate the other WB guy, Mirakel_Jocke to do some more stuff :cool:). The scheme is brightly highlighted dark red, with black trims.

Herer you can see the scheme, with the first WIP shot of the possessed marine. Some conversions and my second attempt to do anything bigger from green stuff (the eye on his forehead), he looks possessed all right. I am also pleased with the gray skin, havent ever before painted that (still needs some highlighting/blending), but I am not sure whether or not all the models will get that, or just the possessed and the obliterator.

The first possessed WIP:
http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed01_WIP.jpg

mirakel_jocke
25-10-2005, 21:15
*does the dance of happyness*

Awesome that you are returning to the red side mate, and sweet stuff you have there so far!

The red parts looks very dark and dirty, very chaosy, and the grey skin looks very daemonic so far.

The eye is also a very nice touch to the mini. In wich colours do you intend to paint it? (let it be glowing green or blue with an little black line to stand in for the pupil!)

Another thing I like about your mini is that it seems to be the opposite to my scheme in some ways :cool:

*screws the searching for the perfect scheme for my 'nids and returns to the red side!*

Between, what is the 'third' colour going to be (you know the one youre gonna use on the top-knots on them and stuff) and when will we be able to see the new armylist?

Soo... are we gonna do these armies for the sekc(!!), or just pure painting/modelling and gaming?

Let the few red-paintfollowers help eachother out in the constant struggle against the old ***** painted stuff and the new unpainted stuff!

*raises glass*

"Cheers Exo"

Hope above message explains that you have made me very inspired in finishing my own army whilst supporting the progress of yours!

EDIT: And shame on all of you guys that hang in the painting and modelling section, not giving a single reply to a darn nice (and red) Word Bearer mini for 2 and a half hours!!! :p

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
26-10-2005, 08:14
Thanks Jocke!

I will get that model finished today or tomorrow. I really havent thought about the colour of the eye, but maybe the blue or green one sounds nicely daemonic. About the third colour, I am not yet sure... I have to think that too.

I will post my new armylist some day, when I get the points checked...

*raises the glass*

and yes, this is project is for the joy of painting, gaming and modelling. I leave painting for sekc for Heero_Severus ;)

Hideous Loon
26-10-2005, 08:37
As I have said numerous times before, I love yor work, ExoCowboy. This time I'm not even going to complain over some guy having three fingers or anything! The red is just vibrating, and the grey skin is awesome as well. And the Marauder bitz are a nice touch as well. Kudos, all the way.

ExoCowboy
26-10-2005, 09:04
Thanks hideous_loon. But the model does not have any marauder bitz! I think you mean the shoulder pad and the arm, they are from orks... although marauders might have the same looking bitz with them.

I will go to buy some zombies some day, helps to get some sufferingly looking possessed... and when I finally make the LatD -army I am also planning, they will prove to be really useful.

yerpo
26-10-2005, 11:37
Nifty paint job again, Exo. This time, though, I think the grey for his skin was too thick. Try to water your paint down a bit when you do skin tones, it makes colors blend much more smoothly. The rest is top-notch. I'd suggest painting the tongue in a contrasting color, too.

Keep going!

ExoCowboy
26-10-2005, 12:16
Almost finished, only some tidying, and the small highlighting to black, and the torn skin on his belt:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed01_WIP2.jpg

mirakel_jocke
26-10-2005, 12:40
Awesome work Exo!

I just knew that an glowing green 'cat-eye' would fix it... It looks fantastic really!

So may I guess that yellowy green'll be your third colour ;)

Oh, between I've started working on my first Daemonette... It takes some time to paint their skin in an smoothe white colour when you basecoat them black...

*goes back to do some even brighter layers of grey* :cries:

EDIT: Noticed something new with my sig yet :rolleyes:

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
26-10-2005, 12:51
Jocke: good to hear that you have started to do some daemonettes. I am really excited to redo those WB to match current skills. I am myself proud of that eye too, as my abilities with GS is almost zero. Thanks for the tip about the color!

I should be doing my graduating work (11 days and it should be done, but who is counting?), but I try to get 2 possessed (including this) done at the end of the week.

I noticed my WB's at your sig, that is awesome! I have to put some new things at my sig too some day :cool:

Thud
26-10-2005, 12:56
All I see are red x's... :(

mirakel_jocke
26-10-2005, 12:59
Hmm, I dunno why this happens(it happens to me all the time)... You could always ask Exo if he could save the pics in another format and send the pics to you instead.

They are well worth the effort may I say :)

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
26-10-2005, 13:01

I think the server crashed for a while. Should work now.

yerpo
26-10-2005, 16:27
Ohh, that's much better! He's fantastic, even. I think I'm in love...

immortal99
26-10-2005, 18:18
looks great! can you post the rest of the unit onc they are done?

Hideous Loon
26-10-2005, 18:34
Nice one there with the Navigator-style eye, Exo. And I stand corrected on the Ork bitzes.

ExoCowboy
26-10-2005, 20:40
looks great! can you post the rest of the unit onc they are done?

I hope you stay tuned to this thread, it will involve the making of not just this unit, but the whole 1000pts army (if I can stay motivated enough, which I hope to be able to do).

Thanks everyone for the feedback, the support I get on this forum is of great importance to me. I will tomorrow finish the model I hope, and take a pic of one of the old ones to show you how my painting style has changed. I also am already planning to convert the next one, which I hope to finish at the weekend.

Much hoping on this post, I think I should learn some more words to use ;)

ExoCowboy
28-10-2005, 11:33
Back to business. Here is the first finished model, there wasnt much to do, and I also added some litanies of damnation to the armor to show the religious nature of these bad boys. Anyways, here is the first guy:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed01.jpg

If you think what is the fuss behind this redoing models -thingie, here is the pic of what my WB army used to look. I think you all agree, if you compare this guy to the new one, that the newer looks better. Here is one of the old models:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/bearers_oldmodel.jpg

Yesterday I went to GW and bought some stuff. A box of zombies and a blister of jungle swarms gives me a nice amount of heads, arms, and some tentacly-heads in the form of the snake-models. I tried to do something about them, didnt work out. It caused me to rip the model to pieces, and today morning I wanted to do something from green stuff... this model is what happened, it is one of my first tries to use green stuff, so I hope you are not too critical about him :). I made this possession to look like the daemon really infests the torso, growing from the head-hole. So, one eye to the chest, a mouth to the neck-place and also a horn to the chest (wanted to test how to make a horn from GS). I try to paint this beast tomorrow

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed02_WIP.jpg

mirakel_jocke
28-10-2005, 13:32
Nice conversion Exo!

What about if you add an long slimey tounge to the mouth? That kind a licks the eye on his chest. Going from the mouth down his chest, a little bit on the right side of it, and then taking an turn upwards licking the left side of the eye!

That would be sick and disturbing, just the way I like it ;)

(between I'm still working a little on that Daemonette, I'll revive my thread with some pics of it ASAP)

Keep the red paint pots open!

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
28-10-2005, 16:33
cool if you like him... I think about the tongue, I try to do it, hope it works as my skills with GS are not very high. Yet! I am going to learn to be a good with that also. Lets also hope that a good painting job covers up if I fail :)

ExoCowboy
28-10-2005, 18:36
I added a tongue from GS, just like Mirakel_Jocke descriped. Also, there was some leftover GS, so I made one more, yet a smaller, eye to the right (the bolt pistol arm) shoulder pad. Piccie coming tomorrow.

mirakel_jocke
28-10-2005, 18:47
Nice!

I'll eagerly await the pics!

/Mirakel_Jocke

Hideous Loon
28-10-2005, 21:42
So do I, as always. *waits eagerly*

ExoCowboy
29-10-2005, 07:02
Here is the final conversion, now excuse me gentlemen, I have got some painting to do..

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed02_WIP2.jpg

*goes to paint*

ExoCowboy
29-10-2005, 09:51
Almost finished :). Still needs the metal bits, the black highlighting, the skin-parts hanging on the waist and some overall tidying up.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed02_WIP3.jpg

Looks disgusting :cool:

immortal99
29-10-2005, 10:26
as i have said on the WPSG thread highlight the black it looks to messy at the moment. otherwise it looks great! you are tempting me into making some myself :D

mirakel_jocke
29-10-2005, 12:36
Oh ****!

That turned out awesome Exo!

The mutations looks sweet, and the choice of colours is really good.

What about adding some gloss varnish to the tounge? It'd make it even slimier and nasty.

/Mirakel_Jocke

yerpo
29-10-2005, 13:16
Agreed, gloss varnish would hit the spot.

ExoCowboy
29-10-2005, 13:20
I finished the model, and added some purple glaze to the tongue to make it a bit shiny (I dont have varnish :(, but glaze gives a shiny coat too... they are really old old paints, that pot is like 8 years old and still almost full). Here he is, I am really really proud of it, as it is my first bigger attempt to use GS, and the painting also worked out fine:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed02.jpg

And the 2 jolly fellows at the moment:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed_first2.jpg

Stay tuned!

immortal99
29-10-2005, 13:25
woah! those look brilliant! :D so chaosy and slimy and cool :D

Hideous Loon
29-10-2005, 15:50
Hey Exo, nice Possessed you've got there. Almost looks like a Horror, but great anyway.

Rabid Bunny 666
29-10-2005, 15:52
nice, the red looks awesome, how did you get it?

suitably posessed posessed you got there, i like the second one best though because it defies all sense and logic :)

Wez
29-10-2005, 15:55
They look really good. Nice and freaky!:)

-Wez

AngryGrot
29-10-2005, 16:12
Nice ones.
Even though they aren't from proppa BLUE legion.

ExoCowboy
30-10-2005, 07:56
thanks for the comments everyone, really keeps me going and motivated.

@Rabid Bunny 666: I painted it with a mix of scorched brown and scab red (maybe 50/50, not sure... it still looks kinda reddish, not too brownish), that was then almost painted over with scab red (leave some scorched brown -scab red -mix to the "shadows"). The highlighting was done with the blood red, with very little bad moon yellow mixed to it to make it a bit brighter. It was then (I am not very sharp painter) cleaned up with some thin scab red at the highlights, gives a nice transfering tone to the color :)

@AngryGrot: The red 'uns go fasta! My Word Bearers will gladly kick some Thousand Sons butt when I get some more finished.

immortal99
30-10-2005, 08:17
ah but!....... blue wonz are luckya :D

mirakel_jocke
30-10-2005, 09:28
The glaze did give it an nice final touch!

Keep going!

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
02-11-2005, 07:44
I converted the third possessed, here he is:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed03_WIP.jpg

The head is from Mordheim Possessed -model, the arms are from orks. The right talon is the one from tyranid warrior, and the left claw is made from tyranid warrior head. I wanted to give the talon a daemonic and organic feel, kinda like soulcalibur -game's soulcalibur. So I added the eye, and the mouth... But I am currently thinking of taking the mouth off, as the talon is becoming a bit "busy". Please, what do you think?

New Cult King
02-11-2005, 07:49
I like the talon as is. I say keep it.

Hideous Loon
02-11-2005, 14:18
The third Possessed look as possessed as the two earlier Possessed. Goodie, even though I advice you to remove the eyes from the claw, as I don't really think they fit there. (More for Chaotic Tzeentchian Possessed, if ya ask me.)

Luke
02-11-2005, 14:26
wow, nice job exo, those are looking very 2nd ed (thats a compliment btw :D)

love those flourescent green eyeballs poking out all over the place

ExoCowboy
03-11-2005, 18:06
I took away the mouth from the talon, but left the eye, as it fits better and keeps the talon a bit more "balanced". I have done some painting, tomorrow you'll see the WIP shot. I do not think to get the model done this weekend, but never say never, as I have my graduating work show-off at the tuesday, and I really should try to finish that first..

Hideous Loon
03-11-2005, 18:34
Thank you for listening to me, Exo. I steadfastly await the WIP shot.

Easy E
03-11-2005, 22:33
Your possessed truly look possessed, and not like marines with a couple of bits. The torso possessed reminds me of some of the 1st edition Chaos Renegade models. Those things were sweet, but not as sweet as that model. The head of the third possessed also looks like a great bitz find.

ExoCowboy
04-11-2005, 07:02
Here is the current stage of the 3rd model:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed03_WIP2.jpg

There is still lots of highlighting to be done on the skin, the black needs highlights and the metal also... and the hair will get them too!

I am not really satisfied with the white on the talon, I tried to get a smoothfinish to it, but it failed... seems that I might have to redo the colour to get some graduation to it.

But one thing I am happy about is the GS-work on the arm-talon link, it seem to fit in really nicely as the muscle continues to the talon-part..

Hideous Loon
04-11-2005, 12:35
Good one, Exo, just like the rest of 'em. And that purple hair gives it a bit setoff that compliments the shiny red paint too.

ExoCowboy
05-11-2005, 10:05
I am thinking of using the WB army using LatD -armylist instead of codex:CSM. That way I could use anything I want to use (except the Dread), but I could also convert some big mutants, traitors and mutants. I will really think about it, and while my army grows, I can use my Cadians as traitors (they have been just betraying the Imperium, not yet any chaos markings) to try my possessed on the gaming table :)

AngryGrot
05-11-2005, 16:21
I am thinking of using the WB army using LatD -armylist instead of codex:CSM. That way I could use anything I want to use (except the Dread), but I could also convert some big mutants, traitors and mutants. I will really think about it, and while my army grows, I can use my Cadians as traitors (they have been just betraying the Imperium, not yet any chaos markings) to try my possessed on the gaming table :)

You have way too many projects going.:p
Just finish those dark panzees.

mirakel_jocke
06-11-2005, 13:22
Looking good Exo!

The new possesed CSM looks nice, and I cannot think of anything that needs improving ATM since he is still not ready painted.

Sorry for not beeing able to reaply to your work earlier Exo, but I have been away for almost an week, and having almost none acces to internet.

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
07-11-2005, 10:17
Almost finished, should get him ready tomorrow! The talons got a new-style painting job, looks better I think. Not quite finished, I would like some comments :cool:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed03_WIP3.jpg

Samoth
07-11-2005, 12:16
Looks sweet!

Hideous Loon
07-11-2005, 21:19
Might i inquire: Where is the head from? It's such a sweet, sweet head.

ExoCowboy
08-11-2005, 05:37
@hideous_loon: it is from the mordheim Cult of the Possessed -warband's Possessed -model's head. I have to admit I like it also :cool:

Warhammer_freak
08-11-2005, 21:48
I'm loving the painting of the claws, looks almost as if it was sketched (if that makes sence).

Also I think great use of the bright green :)

ExoCowboy
09-11-2005, 09:23
I have a bigger update this time. Here is the picture of the third finished possessed:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed03.jpg

And the group-pic of the all 3 models:
http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed_first3.jpg

I have to say I am happy of them. I need only 2 more models, and I can play a first combat patrols with them in a LatD -army with my IG models. I cant wait!

The problem with each new model is the fact, that I want them all to be different... I have to invent new stuff to make the models daemonic. I converted the 4th model, this time he has as the right arm one of the arms (kinda like mace) from the mutation-sprue... I cut the mace away, and added a tentacly-arm from mordheim possessed. With some GS, it fits fine. As the left arm I used again an ork arm. The hand was cut away and with GS I converted a flesh-sack from old tyranid barbed strangler to it. First I tried to fit the sack of newer tyranid sprue, but it was a way too huge. For the torso I wanted a mouth full of sharp teeth grinning from the warped armour, so with some cutting and GS work I made the mouth, with 2 small bone-spikes next to it.

Here is a WIP pic:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed04_WIP.jpg

ExoCowboy
10-11-2005, 11:01
The 4th model is starting to get some paint over him, and because of it looking a bit better (those first WIP shots are always looking kinda stupid). Here he is, I hope to get him done during this week, but I am not sure if I have time..

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed04_WIP2.jpg

mirakel_jocke
10-11-2005, 11:19
The third possesed turned out fantastic, especially the claw and talon on him!
And the fourth one looks really sweet so far. Exo, youre getting better and better at using GS for every new possesed you make!

Keep up the very good work!

And since you probably wonder why I haven't put anyting new up in my thread, it's because I'm working on a daemonette... I'll put it up as soon as it's ready :)

EDIT: I just got a thought of how to improve the fourth possesed! Paint the lips of the mouth on his torso in that sickly green colour you have alread used on the other minis! It'll tie them all together nicely!

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
10-11-2005, 11:23
Thanks Jocke, and yes, I have been wondering where are those nice WB's of yours :cool: It is good to hear that you are working on those models, I am eagerly waiting to seeing that daemonette of yours.

Hideous Loon
10-11-2005, 17:18
Jocke: Another way to make the mouth blend in with the model is using the sickly-green colour for the lips. Jodå, that'd be good. And kudos to Exo for nice Possessed (yet again).

ExoCowboy
10-11-2005, 20:03
@Jocke and loon: consider it done, the lips are now green, and the skin itself is almost finished. Thanks for the tip, you two have been great for driving me forward and giving some top tips. Tomorrow I get a new WIP shot of the model.

mirakel_jocke
11-11-2005, 00:14
Great!

Then I'll check in then.

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
11-11-2005, 06:45
And here is the latest look of the model. I added some green eyes to that "sack-arm", and since there was a bit that could take some purple paint into it, I painted it so and added a more "humanly" eye. Please, comments to it :cool:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed04_WIP3.jpg

mirakel_jocke
11-11-2005, 09:03
Ooh, it looks really cool! (damn this english language, it has too few complimentary words to describe how cool stuff like this is...)

His sack arm looks like it has a mind of it's own now, and the green, purple and red combo looks really nice.

It's almost ready now, eh?

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
11-11-2005, 09:10
almost ready, yes. Needs the metals, the black needs highlighting, the overall tidying up etc... but very close now.

x-esiv-4c
11-11-2005, 15:44
Awesome work, love the pauldrons.

ExoCowboy
13-11-2005, 19:27
Thanks all. Tomorrow I try to get that model finished. I also started to convert the next one, as I hope to get my first LatD -armylist game with these models in (a small 500pts game).

I will post a WIP of him tomorrow. I just want to give some teaser by telling it is going to be something cthulhu-like, for all you Lovecraftians out there :cool:

Hideous Loon
13-11-2005, 20:17
He looks great Exo, like all of the other things you've done. (Even though I still think the lips would look better in grey...)

ExoCowboy
14-11-2005, 11:37
I still dont have the pic, as my cam didnt have power, and now I have to rush to our gaming club. The model looks great, and so does that newest conversion that looks a bit like cthulhu. Well, you will get them tomorrow, I promise! :cool:

Hideous Loon
14-11-2005, 12:53
Cthulhu? Did you use the new Tyranid head? The one with a gobful of tentacles? If so, good one.

ExoCowboy
14-11-2005, 20:29
no, I didnt. I used one of the metal spore mines (sounds stupid, but the look is much better), with lots of filing and GS'ing. But tentacles from the mouth that is indeed! The arms are also spooky, and at the moment this one looks even more daemonic than the rest... or at least in a different way more "alieny" daemonspawn.

ExoCowboy
15-11-2005, 07:51
Okay, now some more pics from the Eye. Here is the fourth finished possessed, I wanted to paint the same chaos-star back to the head it used to have, and some litanies of damnation help also to finish the model:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed04.jpg

As as usual, a group pic of the squad this far:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed_first4.jpg

And the next in line is a cthulhu-guy, or a possessed with a bit lovecraftian aspect in there (I have always liked lovecraft's work, so why not use that?). The head is a filed and GS-filled spore mine, and as always has an eye on its forehead. Right arm has a wicked claws of necron flayed one, one of my favourite parts ever made, while the left arm is a combination of 2 different arms from mutation sprue:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed05_WIP.jpg

Yesterday I played my very first game with LatD armylist (5 possessed, 2 big traitor squads and a sentinel, 500pts) against my Ultras played by a friend. It was a great game,although the Ultras won the day in the end (possessed were monsters in combat, but the sheer number of the loyalists carried the day for them).

Hideous Loon
15-11-2005, 12:22
This one is probably the sickest one so far! Good work, Exo!

What colour will the tentacles be in?

ExoCowboy
15-11-2005, 12:25
I havent yet decided the colours, I am thinking of doing the head grey, and gradually changing it to purple and green towards the tips of the tentacles. Not sure if I have the skill to do it so that it would look nice :eyebrows:

Any ideas are ofcourse most welcome :)

mirakel_jocke
15-11-2005, 14:54
Holy hell!

The fifth possesed is awesome! By far your best conversion done so far!

I can't wait to see that big bad mutated freak ready for battle!

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
16-11-2005, 13:45
Here is a WIP shot from the next possessed. Hopely finished tomorrow... please comments about the longest tentacle, I tried to get a nice transition with the colours, although I will have to make it more contrasty..

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed05_WIP2.jpg

Razerz
16-11-2005, 14:25
I think the tentacle looks good, but as you wrote, I think it would look even better if there are more contrast.
How are you going to paint the claws?

ExoCowboy
17-11-2005, 07:43
Here is a new WIP shot. Not much left, the greatest thing to do is a left arm..

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed05_WIP3.jpg

ExoCowboy
17-11-2005, 13:27
Here is the 5th finished guy, finally ready. The longest tentacle was a real pain to do, took lots of time to make it look nice... hope you like it.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed05.jpg

And here is a group-shot of my lovely little fellows, arent they cute:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed_first5.jpg

... only 3 or 4 left to do to this squad.

Hideous Loon
17-11-2005, 17:52
Good one, Exo, as usual. I must say that the Spore Mine looks much more Chaotic than the Lictor head would have ever looked. Kudos to you, and kudos to have a unit which looks brighter than a troupe of Harlequins too.

Aquilla
17-11-2005, 19:25
Very nice!
Keep up the good work!

Aaric
18-11-2005, 02:02
They look great! But I have to say that I do not like the black. I think it makes the models look unfinished. Perhaps highlight up to codex grey...

ExoCowboy
18-11-2005, 05:51
They look great! But I have to say that I do not like the black. I think it makes the models look unfinished. Perhaps highlight up to codex grey...

I intentionally left the black black. Only subtle, small highlights with fortress grey - chaos black -mix, so that they are black, not looking like grey. :cool:

But nice to hear you like them.

ExoCowboy
18-11-2005, 15:56
Started to convert the next one, he will be a hydra-like, with 3 heads, one a zombie-one on a tentacle, while other 2 are snakes. He is also going to be an icon-bearer of the squad (just checked the rules, I HAVE to give them a mark of chaos undivided to get an icon, damnation... I would have preferred not to have a mark), with a nurglesque banner with some pustules and one big eye (keeping with the theme here), as my daemons will be of nurgle. Maybe a WIP-shot comes tomorrow.

Seventh Stone
19-11-2005, 04:42
This is seriously looking like it's going to be one of the best armies I've ever seen. It's just that damn cool already and after only 4 models! Also, I checked your site, and I love your Smurfs :D

tzeentchgiant
19-11-2005, 12:48
I must say exo, the unit looks fantastic, the fourth model is still my personnal favourite, but the fifth is a close second, I realy am loving the way this unit is turning out, especially since I didn't think it would work so well.

Congratulations on proving me wrong :D.

TG

ExoCowboy
19-11-2005, 13:56
@TG: always a pleasure ;)

@Seventh Stone: thanks, nice to hear :cool:

Anyways, here is a WIP shot of the 6th possessed. Looks stupid at the moment with the oddly coloured bits and GS, but he will look nice. I hope. Left arm is from mordheim undead gladiator or something like that, while the snakes are from jungle swarm and the tentacly head is a combination of a zombie head with a tentacle-mutation arm. The banner is an icon to summon some sweet daemons to table.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed06_WIP.jpg

A neutral shade of black.
19-11-2005, 14:33
I have nothing to say, other than "Very, very nice."

And that last possessed looks better as a WiP than the previous two did, so there. Is it me, or does the foremost possessed have metal parts as of yet unpainted?

ExoCowboy
20-11-2005, 09:50
Is it me, or does the foremost possessed have metal parts as of yet unpainted?

They all should have the metals painted... I am not the master of metallics, so that might be the case (so in effect, it is you ;)).

Thanks for the feedback. The 6th is now starting to get some paint, but he wont be ready until the next week's latter half.

immortal99
20-11-2005, 11:04
those look great! how many are you planning to make (the possessed, not the whole army)?

ExoCowboy
20-11-2005, 11:14
8-9 possessed. I have to calculate the armylist to tell the exact number, and I will post it maybe tomorrow for you all to see. It is kinda shame, that normal marines might not give so much opportunities converting-wise, but I will do my best to make other models individuals too.

tzeentchgiant
20-11-2005, 14:36
The latest possessed looks like the GSing needs a bit of cleaning up, and maybe the necks of the heads should be thickened as the group together towards the body, it might fill the sort of emptiness around the necks where they gather.

Cool otherwise.

TG

ExoCowboy
24-11-2005, 12:58
I do not want my pretty little thread to die off, so here is a WIP of the 6th possessed. Still lots to do, but the overall look in kinda set. The daemon-hide banner will get some more runes/writings on it to break the flats, and the head has really been agony to work on. Anyways, he will be ready in a short while... (maybe saturday)

edit: and the yellow parts on the banner are pustules. Not orange-fruits of chaos.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed06_WIP2.jpg

24-11-2005, 15:21
FFS.

That's a WiP? I hate you now. That's way past my definition of finished, and into the hazardous territories of "I'm making too much of a damn effort when I know I'll **** up along the line anyway."

Can I have a Chaos orange?

static-breed
24-11-2005, 15:39
You're models look insanely awesome. I can't wait to see your finished army...infact I can't even wait to see your finished possessed squad!

AngryGrot
24-11-2005, 16:15
Nice flag.
I will definitely loot that idea someday.

Hideous Loon
24-11-2005, 16:57
Wow. This Possessed looks very nice indeed, Exo. Even though it's just a "W.I.P." (yeah, right...)

tzeentchgiant
24-11-2005, 16:57
Mmm, oranges of chaos.

Looking loevly, the GSing appears to be most excellent, and chance of another pic, but with more of the possessed in it, I love the banner, but I'd like even more to see the rest of the model behind it.

Cool

TG

immortal99
24-11-2005, 17:02
again very nice work! how many more are left to paint?

ExoCowboy
24-11-2005, 18:42
Thanks everyone for the feedback, like I have said before, it is you guys whose support keeps my painting going.

@immortal99: the squad will be either 8 or 9 models, so after the iconbearer, there is going to be two or three models to do. I will really miss doing these fellows, as possessed give you so much opportunities to convert your models.

@TG: Thanks, good to hear you like the GS'ing, I tidied it a bit after your feedback of it being little rough. I try to get tomorrow a new pic from another angle, so you can see all 3 heads (one is really obscured by the banner) and the rest of the model.

@Aneutralshadeofblack: These models are my best paintings, ever. I have aspired to make all my recent models special and as good as I can (well, I could also use lots more time, but this is the best I can do within this timeframe, as I try to finish one model a week), but none has been so good as these possessed.

Anyways, lets hope that model is ready this saturday... I also started to think of the next one, but I wont share any details of it yet, as I fear that the idea might not work modelwise..

Hideous Loon
24-11-2005, 19:38
You know what? If you love converting and painting Possessed Marines, maybe you can make the normal Chaos Marines as though they were a bit possesed too? Not much, just a bit, like an arm or so?

ExoCowboy
25-11-2005, 10:17
I was able to finish the model today, so no need to wait till tomorrow. So here he is, my iconbearer of the possessed squad:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed06.jpg

And a pic from another angle to show how he looks behind the banner:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed06b.jpg

Later today or tomorrow I will post the pic of the squad at the moment, so you can see how this bad boy fits in.

@hideous_loon: that might be the answer, I think I will convert each marine to be partially mutated / possessed, or at least convert each one to be unique in some way.

25-11-2005, 11:33
He looks good, except for the hand at the top of the banner, which looks weird. By the way, nice power claw - where'd you get it from (though, unless he has a pair and you couldn't represent the other one due to the icon, I'm not sure that was the pest choice of wargear)?

ExoCowboy
25-11-2005, 11:37
By the way, nice power claw - where'd you get it from (though, unless he has a pair and you couldn't represent the other one due to the icon, I'm not sure that was the pest choice of wargear)?

The arm is from the morheim undead gladiator or something, I thought it would fit well. This iconbearer is just one of the basic troopers of the squad (the squad wont have a leader), and he counts as having daemonic talons (rending claws) like all the rest.

ExoCowboy
28-11-2005, 09:19
I promised a group pic with the icon in the group, here they are:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed_first6.jpg

And here is a WIP from the 7th one, with some tentacly nastyness and guts showing. I will paint him so that his armour seems to have "melted away" from the other side, while it is still intact on the other. He will look better once ready:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed07_WIP.jpg

28-11-2005, 13:28
Nice. :)

The shoulder pad on the whiptacle possessed still looks like it's unpainted, though.

As for the new WiP... I don't like it, but that's just me. You should really give the model's left shoulder a bit more bulk. As it is, it looks like his arm was cut off and the tentacles grew out of the stump (which may have been your intent), which looks very weird in conjunction with the big bad hand on the right side.

ExoCowboy
29-11-2005, 13:33
I went into a some kind of a painting berserk, so I finished the 7th possessed.

The big hand is ment to be a hand of a daemon this guy destroyed, but then he wore it's claw as a gruesome trophy/weapon (a big nasty glove). The daemon's claw grew into the marine's armor, and finally possessed the whole marine. Looks kinda wicked :cool:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed07.jpg

So, one more (I think) left to do.. I still havent calculated the whole armylist.

On the gaming front, the possesseds have worked great! I have used them in a LatD -army, with my cadians as traitors, and the possessed have killed a big mob of orks and a squad of 13th Company space Wolves. These guys rock!

ExoCowboy
01-12-2005, 17:12
I will not let my little thread to die, so here is a pic of the squad this far. 7 ready, one more to go (still havent finished the armylist composition).

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed_first7.jpg

Hideous Loon
01-12-2005, 19:18
Could you give us some insight on what the newest abomination will look like?

immortal99
01-12-2005, 19:26
they look great as a squad! so possessedy, i like them a lot.

ExoCowboy
01-12-2005, 19:44
I havent yet decided the last one, but one that I have been thinking is a muscular, 4-handed guy (kinda like Goro from Mortal Kombat, except not)... as I think the one with guts out is a bit nurgley, one with the big eye in front of torso and a tongue hanging from the mouth on top of him a bit tzeentchy, the first one (one with ork shoulder pad) slaaneshi.. so the last one would be a bit khorney I guess. Something massive and brutal might be the case, but I have to raid my bits box to see what I can find.

cerealkiller195
02-12-2005, 00:42
great stuff love the conversions everything else that has been said before. just dont want to let a good thread die. have anything else lying around?

ExoCowboy
02-12-2005, 06:24
You can check my other stuff around the 'net too. Here is my Inquisitoral retinue, still havent finished it, but it will have a resurrection soonish I hope:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10943

And my homepage, check the gallery for my Ultras, some IG and Dark Eldar:
http://cultofcowboys.net

Orcdom
02-12-2005, 08:40
i think you have convinced me to strip my black legion Posessed and convert them some more and repaint them.
Steve

bloodwraith
02-12-2005, 15:41
**** me! you sir are a ******* legend!

One question. How the hell do you do the glowing green eyes on the well eyes and the lenses? Those word bearers are absolutely the best i've ever seen. The rest of your stuff is killer to. Bonza job mate and no two ways about it. Can't wait to see the whole army. Hmm motivation, if you don't finish this army i will hunt you down and kill you? How's that work for motivation :p

But seriously, you have an excellent painting style and i love how dark the armour is on them.

tzeentchgiant
02-12-2005, 15:44
Wow, wonderful models, the unit looks grand, and the colour blending is superb.

I'm looking forward to the finished result.

TG

ExoCowboy
03-12-2005, 09:39
One question. How the hell do you do the glowing green eyes on the well eyes and the lenses?

Thanks for the kind words, really helps to keep the project going on. The green eyes were first undercoated with black, then painted with catachan green. It was then painted with a catachan green / goblin green mix, followed by just goblin green.

Then a layer of goblin green / sunburst yellow to it. I then painted the black of the eye, and after that yellow glaze (8 years old, like a wash but gives a shining glossy effect). Simple as that :cool:

mirakel_jocke
03-12-2005, 11:01
Fantastic work Exo... Just, fantastic...

This squad has been an honour to follow through it's making.

So, when will you get started on those daemons Exo :D

/Mirakel_Jocke

ExoCowboy
03-12-2005, 11:16
This squad has been an honour to follow through it's making.

So, when will you get started on those daemons Exo :D

Remember that you've all been part of the making of the squad with your opinions and ideas... so I blame you all for this! :D

Those daemons will come after I finish the last, 8th, possessed... but first I have to make one commission-work to a friend's friend and varnish my DEldar, but that shouldnt take so long.

Animerik
03-12-2005, 11:58
Well exo these guys are propably the best possesed I´v seen!! they are really good made and the fact that they are remade?! that make this exeptional!

The painting is very stark and flashy ... I love it! well I can´t saay nothing more than keep up the good work and make some more

ExoCowboy
04-12-2005, 18:51
I calculated 1000pts list, here is a link to the thread about it.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18258

Comments are welcome, just keep in mind that this is about having fun, not about winning with just the list...

ExoCowboy
07-12-2005, 11:45
I have started to convert the next, and the last, of the possessed. He didnt get 4 arms, but he is kinda khornate. I will post you a WIP maybe this evening or tomorrow, but he is going to have a arbaal's flesh hound tail, a helmet that grows spikes (from kroot's head), a muscular torso and a big axe in one hand, while the other has a grown-into cleaver... time to slaughter I think!

About my armylist, I am in kind of a problem here. The possessed are great, overwhelming monsters in close combat, but they arent fast enough to get there. I would like to have a land raider, mutated and menacing, but what should I drop from the list? Havocs and the dread? Please help! :cool:

07-12-2005, 12:46
Too much talking and not enough pics!

I think that sums up people's expectations rather well...

AngryGrot
07-12-2005, 19:31
About my armylist, I am in kind of a problem here. The possessed are great, overwhelming monsters in close combat, but they arent fast enough to get there. I would like to have a land raider, mutated and menacing, but what should I drop from the list? Havocs and the dread? Please help! :cool:

Just use your rhino.
Now back to work as alredy said!

Orcdom
08-12-2005, 03:42
yes, the dread anyways. what about a dreadclaw assault pod?
Steve

ExoCowboy
08-12-2005, 06:31
Oh the problems.. the mutated dreadnought does have that "cool-factor" and it would be nice to have. Dreadclaw is from FW, right? Havent seen the rules, at least I dont remember. But the land raider would also be a real killer... I have to think this some more.

Orcdom
08-12-2005, 07:33
are you playing in any GW stores, if not there are plans out there for the Paper Drop Pods, and one or 2 of them look pretty damn good, and with something to chaosify them up they could look real good in your army.

i have 2 or 3 versions on disk if interested.

Steve

ExoCowboy
08-12-2005, 10:35
Here is a WIP of the last one. Again the model kinda sucks at this point, but I hope to paint it nicely. Some GS´ing still needed to do, but almost ready converting. I tried to make a big breastmuscle to him, but now he has a big boob... well, the chaos gifts are strange some times. The other breast is growing a metal hook, and some horns are growing from the stomach... and of course an eye had to be added, so the helmet got one :cool:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed08_WIP.jpg

Animerik
08-12-2005, 12:42
well as you said it looks strange now.. but as you have proven to us before it will look ace when it´s done so keep it up Exo ;)

08-12-2005, 12:45
Okay, this is definitely the possessed I like the most out of all your stuff right now. Man, he looks exactly like a Khorne possessed should look like. Purity seal, though. :P

ExoCowboy
08-12-2005, 12:48
It is impurity seal ;). In fact fluffwise Word Bearers use them a lot to make mockery of the imperial creed.

ExoCowboy
11-12-2005, 12:53
Here is a picture of the tail to show how it looks. I will now get to painting the model... I think the tuesday might be the day I get him finished:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed08_WIP2.jpg

Hideous Loon
11-12-2005, 13:07
Cold One tail? Either way, sure looks sweet.

ExoCowboy
11-12-2005, 13:40
not from cold one, but from the old-old Arbaal the Undefeated's über-fleshhound of Khorne. Got something like 7 of them in a GW's bitz box for something like 20 euros a few years back.

... and I undercoated the unpainted parts, now it is time to get some base coats.

tzeentchgiant
11-12-2005, 15:09
The tail looks good, in compliments the rest of the model well.

I can't wait for this unit to be finished :).

TG

AngryGrot
11-12-2005, 19:03
Is that head from a kroot?

ExoCowboy
11-12-2005, 19:14
Yes, it is... I got one when I was doing the painting-teaching lessons in the toy store :).

And nice picture of you angryGrot... looks the the Beard from the club ;)

and an update of the painting, looking really good I tell you (the 8th possessed I mean).

ExoCowboy
13-12-2005, 11:51
Here is a current status of the last possessed, he is still WIP but almost ready... only small things to do (including making the skin a bit more grey than blue). But I am proud of him :cool::

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed08_WIP3.jpg

ExoCowboy
15-12-2005, 11:27
Finally the possesseds are ready, all 8 of them. Here is a picture of the last one finished:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed08.jpg

And here the fully ready squad:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/possessed/possessed_squad.jpg

Thanks everyone for the support and ideas, without them this squad wouldnt have been this cool :cool:. It has been great fun to do it and hear your opinions of them.

Next the WB's will get those plaguebearers and the Apostle, but now I will make a little break to do some dark eldar... but only a small one.

ExoCowboy
22-12-2005, 16:11
I will not let my army-thread to die, so I give you a WIP of my dark apostle: Nasthagur, the Herald of Eternal Darkness, the Scourge of Imperial Creed and the Champion of Abominations in all his metallic glory at the moment. I hope he will look nice when the painting is done, maybe before this year ends:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/apostle/apostle_WIP.jpg

AngryGrot
22-12-2005, 18:25
Looking good.
Where did you loot that sword?

Hideous Loon
22-12-2005, 18:35
Yes, pray tell where. A Chaos Champion methinks? I can recognize the rest of him though, a new Chaplain, is it not? If I were you, I'd file away the Crux hanging from the belt, and replace it with a Chaos star. I presume that, since he's got a sword, you won't give him an Accursed Crozius, which I find rather bad. The Word Bearers are all about having unholy Chaplains, and an unholy Chaplain isn't an unholy Chaplain without an Accursed Crozius.

ExoCowboy
22-12-2005, 18:47
It is all about the armylist, as I cannot afford an expensive accursed crozius, so a power weapon will do... or a Dark Blade... dont know yet.

The sword is from the 6-7 years old first multipart fantasy chaos warriors, the sword of the champion I think.

tzeentchgiant
22-12-2005, 23:34
Yeah, that's the old champion sword (still available through mail order).

Nice model, good parts, but I don't really like the skaven tail, it seems a bit cartoony compaired tot hte rest of the model, if you know what I mean.

TG

ExoCowboy
28-12-2005, 10:22
Here is a quick update of the apostle, the reds are almost ready, but not quite yet. I am thinking of painting the knee-pads in some different colour, maybe black/white with some rune on them, kinda like a twisted campaign-badges.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/apostle/apostle_WIP2.jpg

Hideous Loon
28-12-2005, 10:24
Wow. He really is...red. Lots and lots of red. Looks promising, Exo, I just want to nag on the fact that he doesn't have a Crozius, expensive or no expensive.

28-12-2005, 14:38
It is all about the armylist, as I cannot afford an expensive accursed crozius, so a power weapon will do... or a Dark Blade... dont know yet.

You know, you should really get that crozius. He ain't an Apostle if he doesn't have a crozius, and you pay for exactly what you get: fifteen points power weapon and twenty five points iron halo = forty points crozius. Much better to free up twenty points and jump from the Dark Blade to the crozius.

Hideous Loon
28-12-2005, 14:52
And besides, you free up a Daemon weapon slot too. Isn't that great?

28-12-2005, 16:31
And besides, you free up a Daemon weapon slot too. Isn't that great?

Er, no. The crozius is a daemon weapon.

ExoCowboy
28-12-2005, 17:57
Damnation you hippies! :D

Yes, I am now thinking of making him a Lord (as a lieutenant isnt really a good idea to have that expensive weapon in my opinion) and a daemonic strenght. It is almost a must-have, as S4 isnt really a threat to anyone, especially compared to the S6 of Dark Blade. The army will have the GUO dropped, a rhino bought for possessed and havocs getting some boost for its cost.

the model will have the crozius instead of a pistol, as I like his sword I made. So, what do you suggest to convert it from, maybe a power-mace of chaos termies or just the crozius I cut off?

Nkari
28-12-2005, 18:09
If you got a chaos star from the vehicle sprue it could do nicely, else sculpt yourself one big Eye orb instead of going the classic way.. =)

28-12-2005, 18:58
the model will have the crozius instead of a pistol, as I like his sword I made. So, what do you suggest to convert it from, maybe a power-mace of chaos termies or just the crozius I cut off?

Power-maaaaaaaaaaace.

Sorry. Did I mention I like maces? Ah, well, there you go.

You should keep the BP, though - in terms of game efficiency, it's much better than crozius/CCW (or you could mastercraft the crozius and add a BP holster, and count the two weapons as an MC crozius).

Neknoh
28-12-2005, 19:14
. . . how in the name of the Dark Four did you paint those claws on your posessed!!!

Hideous Loon
28-12-2005, 19:16
I stand corrected, Aneutralshadeofblack. The Crozius IS a Daemon Weapon. (I can either blame it on the lack of pants or the lack of CSM knowledge. Choose for yourself.)

Now, regarding the sword-or-boltpistol-issue, my first thought is: Hmm. You know, the sword COULD be some kind of Xenos nano-tech-weaponry-thingamajig, that makes it count as a BP, both in close combat and away combat. However, it's not particularly WYSIWYG. If you want to keep the sword that much, why not keep it and lose the shooting attack from the boltpistol?

Tom
28-12-2005, 19:41
Chaos Warrior standard bearer arm (cut down) + Chaos Warrior Standard banner top = Accursed Crozius. Albeit simple. Easy to find though.

ExoCowboy
28-12-2005, 19:58
well, that one bolt-pistol attack is not the end of the world if you lose it, although I could just give him a holster to keep his pistol, thus keeping it enough WYSIWYG. But that is not a problem, I can easily give that one bolt shot away. I am already getting some ideas about the original crozius, you will see them within a couple of days.

@neknoh: which model's claws in particular would you like to know about?

Neknoh
28-12-2005, 23:19
The posessed with purple hair holding his claw in front of him

ExoCowboy
29-12-2005, 15:47
I first painted that claw chaos black. Then took some thinned bestial brown, and painted very small strokes from middle towards the edge, so that the edge got more paint. Then, mixed some bleached bone to the bestial brown, again did the same strokes towards the edge, then mixed some more bleached bone to bestial brown, all the time repeating this: in the end, I painted the edgest part in pure bleached bone... this way the colour transfers quite nicely from black to brown to bone. After bleached bone, I used some thinned skull white to the sharpest edge to make some more highlighting. After this, I painted the black again black, as it had become a bit untidy during my frantic painting :cool:

29-12-2005, 20:56
(I can either blame it on the lack of pants or the lack of CSM knowledge. Choose for yourself.)

Pants. Seriously pants. Always pants, you know.

Hideous Loon
29-12-2005, 23:43
I know. The pants are powerful. They're mines... My ownesss... My preciousesss...

ExoCowboy
02-01-2006, 10:47
Here is a current state of the apostle. I wanted the crozius to resemble, well crozius, so kept the wings... the "stick" is ment to be tormented flesh of the enemies and there will be a staring eye in the middle, but the painting is still WIP. Anyways, here he is:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/apostle/apostle_WIP3.jpg

immortal99
02-01-2006, 10:50
When did you decide to give it a crozious, it looks really cool. You will have yet another cool model in your army once this is painted *points towards dark apostle*

ExoCowboy
02-01-2006, 11:02
When did you decide to give it a crozious, it looks really cool. You will have yet another cool model in your army once this is painted *points towards dark apostle*

I was an innocent victim of ruthless peer pressure here on warseer ;). I dropped the greater daemon from the 1000pts list to get points for this guy (and ofcourse some other stuff, like rhino and more marines), but now how the conversion worked out I am glad I did so.

major_panic
02-01-2006, 13:28
That crozius is horribly disgusting, I love it. Fits in with the Word Bearers perfectly IMO.

Hideous Loon
02-01-2006, 17:18
Nice Crozius, Exo. I knew you would come to your senses! Remember, you can always use it as a weird closecombat weapon if you're cheap on points sometimes.

And that Greater Daemon sounds promising, too. Do you have beans to spill on the subject?

Oestvang
02-01-2006, 17:19
Love them all. Even the Dark Apostle. There's a nice comic book look to them.

immortal99
02-01-2006, 17:31
I was an innocent victim of ruthless peer pressure here on warseer ;)

Yes, I know. I remember all the people (me included) telling you to give it one.
I to would like to see this greater demon you have mentioned.

ExoCowboy
03-01-2006, 13:14
http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/apostle/apostle_WIP4.jpg

only the base and some finishing touches and the Man is ready. I am proud of my Skeletor.

Nkari
03-01-2006, 14:07
Good, it doesnt look like a dildo any more.. :P neat.. =)

Oestvang
03-01-2006, 21:51
Hey, you never know. That green thing could be an on/off/speed knob. And the feathers really tickle...

probably why it became "accursed".

tzeentchgiant
04-01-2006, 12:05
Really fantastic, and I can see how this could easily become your favourite model, lovely.

I'd love to hear more about this greater daemon plan, fancy throwing together a sketch?

TG

The boyz
04-01-2006, 12:13
Wow he is looking really good ExoCowboy. I really like his corrupted Crozius. His Power sword looks great aswell.

ExoCowboy
04-01-2006, 12:19
I have an old painted model of a Great Unclean One, but as I make this army first into 1000pts, there is no room for him any more in there. So first things first: as my army includes now an apostle and 8 possesseds, it is a time to do some troops, and first in line is a unit of plaguebearers, so sadly the GUO will have to wait until I get this army better going with some basic guys.

I have varnished the possesseds and the apostle, and after they dry you will get some new pics.

ExoCowboy
04-01-2006, 13:19
So finally the apostle is finished, here is a picture:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/apostle/apostle_front.jpg

And here is a picture of the whole army at the moment, a little bit over 300 points :cool::

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/apo+poss.jpg

I glued magnets to the bases, it will help me to carry the models around as I will be making a carrying-case for them. The banner does not yet have one, as I will have to either buy smaller magnets or cut bigger ones to smaller.

dragoon_79
04-01-2006, 18:48
wow,those are amazing! you put my old wb to shame, very well done!

tzeentchgiant
04-01-2006, 19:47
Fantastic unit, it really has turned out very very well, on the subject of cutting magnets though, don't, they always crack and it's very difficult to get a correct line or edge with them, not to mention the fact that it's most likely to crack whatever you're using to cut it.

I'd buy more smaller ones, really, it'll save a lot of time and effort in the long run.

TG

Hideous Loon
04-01-2006, 21:11
A truly mötley crüe you have there, Exo. They look good together, gribbly and Chaotic, like Chaos fellas ought to.

static-breed
04-01-2006, 21:22
Wow, they look amazing. Very good job!

ExoCowboy
10-01-2006, 17:56
Tomorrow you will see the first picture of the plaguebearer, he should be (not counting the base) ready tomorrow. Looking good, I tell you, looking good.

skiff
10-01-2006, 18:11
*applause*
really cool, good paintjob and lovely conversions :D
IMO the apostel doesn't really fits to the rest, maybe it's the missing grey skin?

Hideous Loon
10-01-2006, 19:05
Gotta be something like that, skiff. The lack of grey skin on the Apostle... However, I think that it, combined with his VERY heroic pose, makes him stand out from the rest of the gribbly bunch.

Looking forward to that Plaguebearer.

ExoCowboy
11-01-2006, 06:25
Here is the final and the first WIP picture of my first plaguebearer.The base is still needed to do, which I think will improve the model a lot. These Frogs from Hell are quite fun to paint :cool:

http://www.cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/plaguebearers/plague_01WIP.jpg

Oestvang
11-01-2006, 09:35
It's not easy being green. But it is pretty as well as Nurgley. Izzat supposed to be possible?

11-01-2006, 11:50
Hmm, I wondered where this thread had gone. Seems I'm the one who missed things, not you who was too busy. :P

Anyway, wow on the Skeletor and his Many Phaluses of Death, and that plaguebearer is nice, though I'm surprised he doesn't have more penis.

Also, the apostle does indeed stand out, but in a wrong way: he's missing some black on his lower half and on his torso. Other than that, he's cool. If someone abducts you tomorrow, that'll be me, so I can force you to make me a dark apostle of my own.

ArtificerArmour
11-01-2006, 12:16
I like the plague bearer, your gonna have a really impressive, coherent force when your done. limiting your palette like you have is very impressive.

tzeentchgiant
11-01-2006, 16:58
Love the plague bearer, it looks great, particularly the blending on it, wonderful!

TG

plasmadaemon
11-01-2006, 17:07
TG: MSN?

Heh, nice looking Exo, good blending on the whole but I just don't feel that the bright colour theme fits onto the model. It looks like a half-corroded toy from the local supermarket, sorry.

Lovely metal shank thought :)

Hideous Loon
11-01-2006, 17:53
Agree with plasmadaemon, the green could have been darker, say around Snot or so. As of right now, it won't fit awfully well with the Word Bearers. Or am I wrong?

Wez
11-01-2006, 19:57
Not only are your models great, but you've improved at converting and painting significantly since the start of the thread. That's what's more important imo.

Keep up the good work.

-Wez

ExoCowboy
12-01-2006, 10:24
Agree with plasmadaemon, the green could have been darker, say around Snot or so. As of right now, it won't fit awfully well with the Word Bearers. Or am I wrong?

I hope you are wrong :). I will try to get the rest of the plaguebearers done during the weekend (much higher pace than I normally dare), and after that we will see how they fit together. I have high hopes that they will look nice alongside each other :cool:.

The army seems to be kinda "old school", so bright daemons should fit there nicely ;)

ExoCowboy
14-01-2006, 15:23
I am having a paintathon this weekend, and will get 6 plaguebearers fully done. Here is a WIP of the first 4, not much left to do with these guys. Tomorrow you'll get to see them finished :).

http://www.cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/plaguebearers/plague_WIP4.jpg

tzeentchgiant
14-01-2006, 16:12
As I said in the WPSG, they're great, but looking again, I feel you should replace the magnets on the bottom, they spoil the models somewhat.

TG

AngryGrot
14-01-2006, 16:53
They sure are ugly(in a good way)
What green did you use?

Animerik
14-01-2006, 17:06
They sure look nice and green :D I like the green it maches your army really nice with a bit of grim cartoony fell. I love your work exo so keep it up nad make the other as well ;)

ExoCowboy
15-01-2006, 08:15
@TG: I understand what you mean about the magnets, there seems to be one misplaced, with the model that has his sword raised above his head. The magnet is a bit "angled", and I will do something about it (straighten it up, that is).

@AngryGrot: I undercoated them black, painted Catachan Green over, then a mix of Catachan Green and Camo Green, followed by a layer of plain Camo Green. Then models were quite heavily washed with my patented Nurgle Wash (old Orc Flesh Wash, old Brown Wash, old Green Glaze). Then it was painted over with Camo Green, followed by a mix of Camo Green and Bad Moon Yellow, then plain Bad Moon Yellow. After that I washed it with very thin Brown Wash, and finally painted some Bad Moon Yellow.

ExoCowboy
15-01-2006, 19:59
My paintathon is completed, and so is a 400pts combat patrol force. Here are my plaguebearers:

http://www.cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/plaguebearers/plague_squad6.jpg

And the armylist:

Dark Apostle Nasthagur, the Herald of Eternal Darkness, the Scourge of Imperial Creed and the Champion of Abominations (MoCu, power weapon, daemonic strength, cc-weapon, daemonic visage) 75pts

Nasthagur's Chosen (8 Possessed w/ MoCu, daemonic talons) 224pts

Children of the Rotfather (6 Plaguebearers) 96pts

Total: 395pts

immortal99
15-01-2006, 20:18
They look great can you show uas a group shot as well?

ExoCowboy
15-01-2006, 20:25
I try to take a group-shot tomorrow to show them together.

tzeentchgiant
16-01-2006, 18:46
Excellent, maybe a blade tutorial? That sort of creamy colour I see looks great.

TG

16-01-2006, 20:10
Very, very nice, Exo. Can't wait for the group shot.

ExoCowboy
17-01-2006, 06:27
In the fear of unleashing the scrollbar of doom, I post the picture here anyways. Here is the 400pts army:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/army400.jpg

I played 3 games yesterday, using the Rules of Engagement -objectives... against another chaos force w/ 2 x 10 marines (+missiles, plasmas and champions w/ power fists). In the first game my possessed were killed by rapid firing without a chance to get to closecombat, but apostle led the plaguebearers and together they killed all those 20 marines! That was neat.

In the second game my force was shot to pieces without a chance even to summon up the daemons! That wasn't neat. And in the third game possesseds killed one of the squads, but due some strange rollings, they were again killed by the bolters, and although the apostle got to combat, he was killed by a power fist. Nice, fast games, really fun stuff, although I need some fire-support (I have 3 obliterators waiting..) and more meat for the grinder, so some big marine-squads have to be done.. and maybe a transport for the possessed.

About the metals of the blades on the daemons: chaos black undercoar, with old Dwarf Bronze coat, then old Brown Wash, followed by some highlighting with Dwarf Bronze. Then the edges were painted with Dwarf Bronze - Boltgun Metal -mix (from inside towards edge, so the edge gets more paint and becomes lighter shade), and after that the "inside parts" were again tidied up with Dwarf Bronze. Then a wash of really thinned Chaos Black, and they were ready to varnish.

And now a before - after pictures of the Apostle. The old one, and the upgraded model :cool:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/apostle.jpg http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/apostle/apostle_front.jpg

17-01-2006, 16:28
Hey! I liked the old apostle. He has an "80s baddeh!" look.

Anyway, I wish I had your painting skills. :'(

'grats on the games...

Captain Brown
17-01-2006, 18:17
ExoCowboy,

Wow, I just realized I have never posted my admiration for the project on this thread (I have been viewing the progress on the WPSG thread).

Great stuff, very well done, especially the small colour palette, that keeps the disparate units as part of the same army.

I must say the difference between the old Apostle and the upgraded version is very pronounced. Same thing has been happening with your Ultramarines as you have progressed that army (specifically the green, used on the plaguebearers and as detail on the possessed and Apostle).

My question for you now, is that with the completion of the Combat Patrol Chaos Force, are you going to spend a little time on your WarSeer Battle Barge Contribution Marine? ;)

Great stuff,

Captain Brown

ExoCowboy
18-01-2006, 13:17
Aye Captain! I will start that Marine soon, but I just might do the first obliterator first :cool:. That means the WSBBCMfWPSG (WarSeer Battle Barge Contribution Marine for Warseer Painting Support Group) will be ready within a couple of week.

Stay tuned you all and thanks for everyone for the feedback!

Hideous Loon
18-01-2006, 14:59
Do you have beans to spill on the subject of the Obliterator? Scheme, model, all that stuff? Are you using the canon model, or making your own? What colour will its skin be (I guess grey, but meesa do not know...)? It all sounds very interesting.

ExoCowboy
18-01-2006, 18:53
He will be a bit converted from the basic obliterator model. Some weapons and targeters have been added, from witchhunter acolyte, orks (some nasty chainsaw..) and some space marine vehicle-sprue I guess. The head was replaced with a chaos champion head from the plastic sprue, with the horns trimmed off. The GS'ing is still missing, but you'll get some WIP -shots at friday. The skin... havent yet decided, I am going either for the grey or some dwarf-flesh kind of "normal" (caucasian?) one.

ExoCowboy
20-01-2006, 08:31
Here is the promised WIP shot of the first obliterator, I hope to get the model done during the next week:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/obliterators/obli_1WIP.jpg

Hideous Loon
20-01-2006, 08:43
Even though I cannot see how it'll look finished, I have faith in you. Suggestion for flesh: Since he is a part of the same army as your Possessed, wouldn't it look like a combined force if all the tortured Daemon flesh had the same colour? And the grey nuance looks sweet with red too.

tzeentchgiant
20-01-2006, 15:52
Looking good, very dynamic for an obliterator, and especially nice red there.

Almost looks like it has source lighting.

TG

ExoCowboy
21-01-2006, 14:31
Nice you like it. I am kinda torn now, as I think maybe the helmet is a bit too forward... maybe I should cut it and put it "deeper" or just use some GS to fill the gap. Or just leave it and let the painting hide it? Aargh, so difficult decisions.

21-01-2006, 15:11
Nope, looks good as it is. He has a nice "puppy looking at master" look that befits a daemon very well.

ExoCowboy
23-01-2006, 10:10
I did some work on the head, I now like it much better the way it fits. Some painting was also done, here is a picture of his current state:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/obliterators/obli_1WIP2.jpg

Hideous Loon
23-01-2006, 16:51
Woo. He's got grey skin. I love him already.

ExoCowboy
31-01-2006, 08:20
The obli is progressing, I am currently painting the skin... looking quite nice. The pics will come when I get my computer from the repairs.

I also think of starting some basic marines, which should be quite fast to paint. I just take a small break by doing my WSPSGBB-marine, at least to a nice WIP-stage :cool:

ExoCowboy
08-02-2006, 14:26
Yeehaa, the computer is back from the repairs! So finally some update to my project, the first of the oblies is almost finished. Here is a pic:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/obliterators/obli_1WIP3.jpg

He has seen some games already.. in one game he managed to destroy a land speeder tornado and a couple of marines, other times his career has been miserable, either stomped to death by dread or shot to splatter by hive tyrant. Well, he will get a couple of friends some day, then we will see who gets the final laughs! :cool:

Hideous Loon
08-02-2006, 15:03
HE'S GOT GREY SKIN! And super-cool he looks too! Had you not received my respect before, you've got it now, Exo.

tzeentchgiant
08-02-2006, 16:56
Major thumbs up Exo, very cool looking model you've got there, however, maybe the skin is a bit plain? Some of those greeny mutant bits wouldn't hurt.

Now I'm trying to get that hideous green onto the model... what's happening to me :p.

TG

ExoCowboy
09-02-2006, 10:15
I managed to get him finished, here is the final pic of the first obliterator:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/obliterators/obli_1.jpg

ExoCowboy
11-02-2006, 08:23
I am currently thinking of whether I should redo some basic marines or more oblies. The old marines could be used in games, but oblies are just bought, so I might do them..

And thinking of buying some flesh hounds of khorne..

What do you guys think of the ork-bits used on them?

Orcdom
11-02-2006, 09:02
more marines and use the oblits as a bonus for gettting them done.
Steve

Morbid Dreams
11-02-2006, 10:17
Agreed - i always start with troops and as for a bonus I get onto the more special stuff afterwards

Brilliant stuff u doing there man

The boyz
11-02-2006, 10:32
Wow your Obliterators look great ExoCowboy. Great paint job, I love the grey skin look, makes the skin look old and dead IMO.

11-02-2006, 11:47
Awesome, Exo. That truly doth rock! I'll be away for a week and expect the army to be finished by then. :P

ExoCowboy
14-02-2006, 10:10
I started to repaint the marines, here is a WIP from the first one. Thankfully they are relatively fast to paint as they lack all the tidbits of oblies or possessed. I should get this model done maybe even tomorrow I hope.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_01WIP.jpg

Do you guys think I should paint the skin grey to fit to all the other models hanging around or make it more "human" to separate the mortals from the daemonic?

Razerz
14-02-2006, 11:21
I vote for painting the skin grey, but more "living" than the daemonic skin. Almost grey but with some red, pink, yellow, whatever that makes the skin more living.

tzeentchgiant
14-02-2006, 13:10
I'd say grey is best, less human looking, and it fits better than the peachy roaming around with the dead looking greys.

TG

Orcdom
14-02-2006, 18:01
just not too grey, maybe like a grey tinted pale skin.
Steve

ExoCowboy
15-02-2006, 08:51
The first of the marines is almost finished, it still needs some work with the eyes (some blacklining, maybe pupils, although I think green orbs would be frightening too), and varnish. Thankfully it was fast to paint. Hope you like him:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_01WIP2.jpg

And here is a blast from the past, one of the to-be marines in his old colours:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/old.jpg

hellbrecht
15-02-2006, 11:26
Wow, very nice work with the face. If you had said green eyes before, I would have wondered if it'd look too demonic, but I think it looks perfect. It fits in with all the possessed without looking too daemonic itself.

One of my friends does WB too, so I think I'll show him this thread, get him inspired (or discourage him & make him want to re-paint his whole army :evilgrin: )

Hideous Loon
15-02-2006, 16:00
Tee hee, that Beakie with horns (or should it be "horny Beakie"?) looks funny! Not very imposing, d'you think? I like the finished Marine, and don't give him pupils, it'll look horrible.

Orcdom
15-02-2006, 20:02
that looks pretty good, i like the old one as well, the green eyes are a good change, but i do like the horns on the old on, i hope you keep that head in the repaint. and i like how the grey/pale skin turned out.
Steve

ExoCowboy
17-02-2006, 06:23
I did some work on the eyes of the first marine, but left the pupils out. I think he looks suitably menacing now.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_01.jpg

As these are relatively fast to paint, I finished a second one:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_02.jpg

And here are the to fellows together ready to kill:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_first2.jpg

I hope you enjoy them. Comments and criticism are welcome as always.

Animerik
17-02-2006, 08:44
they are gggRRRREEEEAAT! ;) live that stark highlight in the red wich gives them a very personal feel, The highlights are strong but still well blended never seen stuff like that so my compliments to you. Grey skin looks so much better and the guy with rebreather...... man his so cool love his pose and scary eyes now go paint the rest cause these are awsome

ExoCowboy
18-02-2006, 13:59
Some more work done on basic marines. Here is a third finished, he does not look as having as much personality as others, as he has no skin showing, but I hope you like him anyways:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_03.jpg

And here is a WIP shot of the 4th one, with a plasmagun. The plasma will get a blue glow-effect tomorrow as I finish him:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_04WIP.jpg

Hope you like.

Animerik
18-02-2006, 15:41
The one with helmet looks good for a rank and file trooper but damn that plasma gunner is awsome !!! keep it up exo love this special style of yours!

ExoCowboy
19-02-2006, 09:50
I have been a good boy and painted some more of the basic marines.

First, here is the third one. I added some arrows on his helmet and shoulder pad to give some personality to the model, I think it worked fine. Just like the space marines are every individual heroes, so chaos marines should be everyone individual monsters. Here is the pic:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_03+.jpg

I also finished the plasmagunner. I think the glowing effect in particular turned out great:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_04.jpg

And a group-shot at the moment, the first 4. I started to work on 2 more, then I will have the group legal to play, but I think I then make some more models to get the unit to strenght of 10.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_first4.jpg

Animerik
19-02-2006, 18:21
GREAT STUFF looks solid as h*ll damn keep it up!

FearFrost
19-02-2006, 18:27
I cant remember if I have actually posted on this project log, but DAMN...nice work. I love how colorful your models are, it reminds me of my youth and 2nd ed and when blister backs cost 4-6 dollars (sniffle).

Nicely done.

Brian

ExoCowboy
23-02-2006, 13:03
I love how colorful your models are, it reminds me of my youth and 2nd ed and when blister backs cost 4-6 dollars (sniffle).

I didnt play 40k back then (I was more of a fantasy-guy then), but intended to make these kind of like "old-school" marines. So nice if that works!

Here is the 5th marine, the second plasma of the squad.

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_05.jpg

And next in line... the champ.

Anvils Hammer
23-02-2006, 13:23
looking very nice,
the only thing Id suggest is puit a bit a subtle source lighting on the armour from the plasma glow, not too extreem, just a little bit so you can see that its emmiting light.

Math Mathonwy
23-02-2006, 18:41
Great stuff as usual, Exo!

Maybe you should take another look at the second plasma gunner's metal parts on the gun. They seem somehow uneven and careless - maybe an ink wash would help?

ExoCowboy
24-02-2006, 10:33
I have almost finished the champion, here is a WIP shot. He looks like a Jay Leno, as his chin is huge. Weird!

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_champWIP.jpg

ExoCowboy
24-02-2006, 12:34
I finished the champ, here is a picture... (still missing the varnish and magnet)

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_champ.jpg

And the squad at the moment with 6 models:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_first6.jpg

AventineCrusader
25-02-2006, 01:24
Cool, very much matches the Possessed squad. Word Bearers are a very cool army IMO...

Crusader:D

25-02-2006, 11:20
Anteater champion? :lol: :P

ExoCowboy
25-02-2006, 15:04
I am on fire, and finished one more marine, here is a horned beakie:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/marines1/marine1_06.jpg

ArtificerArmour
25-02-2006, 15:26
The champs fantastic. he just appears a little smaller than the rest of the squad because he's an old DA model, but he's still greatly painted.

Knightmare
27-02-2006, 19:07
That Horned Beakie is a master-stroke,Exo.You should attempt such characterful helmet alterations more often.It just screams Word Bearers.

Kudos.

Despoiler
27-02-2006, 20:45
very cool army so far. I agree with Anvil the plasmagunners need a slight bit of light effect on there chest plates to give it a bit more realism.

good luck... I'll be watching........

ExoCowboy
02-03-2006, 09:31
I started to convert the icon for the marines, pics will come later this week as I hope to get it finished. Also converted the dread, here is a WIP shot of the monster:

http://cultofcowboys.net/wordbearers/dread/dread_WIP1.jpg

Animerik
02-03-2006, 10:06
AHHH looks most delisious great stuff!but IMO it needs a book and some seals o be word bearerish

ExoCowboy
02-03-2006, 10:24
there are impurity seals on the hull-armour :cool:

about the book, I will think about it.