PDA

View Full Version : Additional hand weapons and bought weapons eg magical weapons

Eternal Guardian
21-06-2008, 07:37
Hi there im only new to fantasy and starting off with a wood elf army just one question im slightly unsure of is when you are paying for a noble or highborns cc weapon do u have to pay for the additional hand weapon and then also pay for weapon you want as the wood elfs are all longbows as a standard weapon eeg noble amour/wargear: longbow if i want say a spear of twilight a magic cc weapon do i have to pay for my lord to have an additional hand weapon and then be able to get the spear of twilight or do i just pay for the spear of twilight and dont have to pay to the additionla hand weapon to have the spear

Condottiere
21-06-2008, 07:56
I had a hard time interpretating that. I don't have a WEAB with me, but I'd say if the weapons option doesn't begin with Choose Only One, you can upgrade as many weapons as you like. Only one type of armour can be worn. If you're buying a magic weapon, you do not need to buy the weapon upgrade, as the cost of the magic weapon includes this. Same case with armour.

An additional hand weapon allows you an extra attack at your base strength.

Unless specified otherwise in the weapon's description, you must always use magic weapons exclusively, if you buy them.

I hope this helps. :)

Nurgling Chieftain
21-06-2008, 09:06
Note that models are counted as having a single hand weapon even if it's not in their profile.

mattjgilbert
21-06-2008, 09:46
If you want to buy a magic sword (for example), you do not have to buy a "normal" sword first. You just buy the magic one.

DeathlessDraich
21-06-2008, 10:06
Hi there im only new to fantasy and starting off with a wood elf army just one question im slightly unsure of is when you are paying for a noble or highborns cc weapon do u have to pay for the additional hand weapon and then also pay for weapon you want as the wood elfs are all longbows as a standard weapon eeg noble amour/wargear: longbow if i want say a spear of twilight a magic cc weapon do i have to pay for my lord to have an additional hand weapon and then be able to get the spear of twilight or do i just pay for the spear of twilight and dont have to pay to the additionla hand weapon to have the spear

Hello, welcome to Warseer and Warhammer Fantasy.

Any character may have a magic weapon without a mundane weapons upgrade unless specifically denied.

The WE Highborn just needs to pay the point cost for Spear of Twilight without upgrading or buying any mundane weapon i.e. he does not need to have 2 hand weapons to get the Spear.

Can I suggest *not* taking the Spear but equipping your Highborn with:
Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins and a Great weapon [with a suitable Ward save] and keep him out of combat whilst using
Alter Noble with Helm of the Hunt and Hail of Doom.

Eternal Guardian
21-06-2008, 10:38
thanks for the help and yes my highborn uses the bow of loren, arcane bodkins and gamourweave usually combined with light armour and a shield and if i feel like it i mount him and place him within a small squad of glade riders to annoy the enemy by moving around and shooting

Tarax
23-06-2008, 08:43
You don't need to 'buy' a normal spear first to 'buy' a magical spear.

If you 'buy' a magic bow, this will replace your normal bow.

In close combat you must use your magical CC-weapon (not your magical bow, which is also a magic weapon, but both are not allowed) if you have one.

Braad
23-06-2008, 12:40
You do need to use a . (punctuation) at the end of your sentences, since that makes it easier for us to understand...

Godfiend
23-06-2008, 21:52
Also please note that RAW says you can't dual-wield weapons if you have a magical weapon. (If you can logically explain that, go for it!)

Braad
24-06-2008, 07:51
You can't have a spear, if you already carry one. So pick either a magical or a normal one. Just in the same way that you can't carry two shields (e.g. a normal and a magical one) or have two suits of armour (e.g. light armour and heavy armour).

WLBjork
24-06-2008, 08:00
You can't have a spear, if you already carry one. So pick either a magical or a normal one.

If you 'buy' a magic bow, this will replace your normal bow.

Page reference for either of these please.

Unless specified within the army book, magic weapons are in addition to the normal weapon.

So, a character with a normal bow could then buy a magic bow. Pricey, but useful if the magic bow gets negated by, for example, Law of Gold.

Braad
24-06-2008, 08:23
I was just logically explaining what Godfiend asked for... Or did I misread his post?

WLBjork
24-06-2008, 14:25
Lets take an example, it's easier:

Vampire Lord takes the Dread Knight power. By your argument, he cannot then buy the Dreadlance, or that the Dreadlance would replace the mundane lance.

This is not the case, the Vampire would have the Dreadlance (which he *must* use) as well as the mundane lance (only useful if targetted with, for example, Lore of Gold).

Nurgling Chieftain
24-06-2008, 15:59
Some characters (such as an Empire general) are explicitly allowed to carry ridiculous numbers of weapons.

Godfiend
24-06-2008, 16:52
You can't have a spear, if you already carry one. So pick either a magical or a normal one. Just in the same way that you can't carry two shields (e.g. a normal and a magical one) or have two suits of armour (e.g. light armour and heavy armour).

I was referencing the rule against using a magic sword and an off-hand weapon. I'd be hard pressed to believe the rules would ever allow dual-wielding spears :D.

Braad
24-06-2008, 16:55
Ow really....

Anyway, why take one choppa, if you can have two, twice the price?