PDA

View Full Version : 1 Simple Question about Burning Head spell and model positioning.

Akuma
21-06-2008, 19:05
I manage to get perfect angle straight ahead of enemy unit in ranks - I draw mu line not throught the center of enemy model but rather at the spot where bases of ranked unit models touch - so in unit of 20 rank and file models - 5x4 shooting from the side with the burning head spell would I score 10 hits ?

Bortus
21-06-2008, 19:20
Well I don't have my book right now but as far as I know the spell is cast in a straight line at 18 inches and each model in its path suffers a hit not each base in its path. So in regards to your post I would have to say no but nice try.

Lord of Skulls
21-06-2008, 20:09
I always thought it worked more or less like a cannonball, so only one hit per rank/file?

Akuma
21-06-2008, 20:35
Bortus - but to check what model is hit you check if his base is touched not the models itself ( such as the case of dragon wings )

I would like Unwanted to say something about that :D

DeathlessDraich
21-06-2008, 20:49
I always thought it worked more or less like a cannonball, so only one hit per rank/file?

Yes - Like the "cannonball bounce".

It is still uncertain whether Burning Head qualifies as a ranged attack using a template.

Bortus
21-06-2008, 22:24
Bortus - but to check what model is hit you check if his base is touched not the models itself ( such as the case of dragon wings )

I would like Unwanted to say something about that :D

Tell you what. Take a piece of kite string and cut it to exactly 18 inches. There you are. It's not a template nor does it state so so it's not going to hit ajoining models. I think going by base is stretching it quite a bit after all if you imagine an actual flaming skull how big would it really be?

Akuma
21-06-2008, 22:30
biger or smaller then a fire ball ?

Faustburg
21-06-2008, 22:34
It is a line without width, you cannot possibly hit two adjacent models, it will always be one or the other. "The spot where two models touch" does not theoretically exist, for rules purposes a base is exactly 20 (or 25, 40 or whatever) millimeter wide, and a unit is that times its number of models wide or deep, not a micron more or less.

And if that is to esoteric for you; simply note that it follows the rules for Cannon balls, so the maximum number of hits is one per rank (or one per model wide if coming from the flank).

Condottiere
21-06-2008, 23:31
I guess if you can achieve an optimum angle, you probably could include more models under that kite string.;)

Bortus
22-06-2008, 04:50
I guess if you can achieve an optimum angle, you probably could include more models under that kite string.;)

Well give a try and you'll see. For example a unit of 25 Empire Swordsmen getting hit straight on or even diaganol is still only 5 models.

Cambion Daystar
22-06-2008, 10:58
Well give a try and you'll see. For example a unit of 25 Empire Swordsmen getting hit straight on or even diaganol is still only 5 models.

Actually , no. when going diagonally you can hit 2 models/ rank. For example 45degree angle and start at the middle of a side of a base.

theunwantedbeing
22-06-2008, 14:05
The rules for burning head state that it is worked out much in the same manner as a cannonball bounce.
So 1 man per rank as per page 89 of the rulebook that describes it.

Chicago Slim
22-06-2008, 16:36
Thank you, unwantedbeing, for finally noting that.

Burning head can hit at most one model per rank (or file, if it's hitting from a flank), just like a cannonball. Characters WILL take a Look Out Sir! roll, if they're in a large enough unit (again, just like a cannonball).

Faustburg
22-06-2008, 17:46
Thank you, unwantedbeing, for finally noting that..

...after only three people already having stated it...

Down with false idols...

Bortus
23-06-2008, 18:36
It's yet another example of trying to stretch something out to your advantage! Common sense does go along way even the rules don't clearly TELL you what to do. This would never have been a problem for my gaming club! :O

p.s Cambion Daystar- no you are wrong but then like anything else I suppose you can bend things to your favor if you like. How thick is your kite string? Geez! The rule isn't meant for it to work like that. Maybe I should have stated the cannonball example instead but I was trying to be simplistic and I suppose I failed. Maybe you should be a lawyer?