PDA

View Full Version : infentry tactics

izikial
21-06-2008, 21:27
hi, i like high evles and i like there new rules, but it seems to me that a cavalry army is far supirior to an infentry based army. so i would like to hear your opinions on how to play high elves infentry, and the squad size's that you like to feild them in.

Goat T
21-06-2008, 21:41
If you want to win, spell it infantry. The units will always betray you if you don't give them respect.

With h.elves its actually easier to win with infantry that most armies.
Against Cavalry you usually have more ranks, and have a banner. Occasionally you outnumber.
If you have 20 guys against the usual 6 cavalry, you are winning by 5 before combat starts. That's a huge number to make up in casualties.
And if the cavalry doesn't break the infantry, they are toast. (Chosen knights are the exception).

Also with baiting, you can even get the charge on the cavalry, and when that happens, they are usually toast, also.

Conotor
21-06-2008, 21:49
Im not an HE palyer, so if my oppinion sucks, just ignore it.

Id say blocks of 24 spearmen, deployed 8 wide vs 25mm armies and 6 wide vs others, should be really good.

Also, if you have troble with enemy cav, the PG should take care of them very well. Maby 15?

Whatever you do, support the infantry with 2-3 RBTs, so that your enemy will try to charge you. HE don't need to charge, so u can avoid combat for as long as possible by walking 2.5 inches backward every turn, while standing cav on the flanks.

Condottiere
22-06-2008, 01:00
hi, i like high evles and i like there new rules, but it seems to me that a cavalry army is far supirior to an infentry based army. so i would like to hear your opinions on how to play high elves infentry, and the squad size's that you like to feild them in.The current HE army book was written as a reaction to the all cavalry lists HE players wrote, which means the chances are there will never again be any HE cavalry core choices in the foreseeable future.

What was needed was a game device to make HE infantry viable despite their fragility. This device was ASF, and forces all potential attackers to carefully consider any charges they may be contemplating against HE forces.

Magic, war-machines, gunlines and ultra-heavy cavalry are the bane of HE infantry, but correct deployment, rapid neutralization of war-machines, decimating gunlines with RBTs and an emphasis on magical defense places a protective shield over HE infantry formations.

Facing an opponent with no gunlines or war-machines allows you to place your expensive elite infantry on the front line, otherwise place them on the flanks or behind the Spears and Phoenix Guard. Longbows are mostly useless, but work very well against most Light Cavalry, handgunners, and if placed forward, war-machines and any isolated character model.

Unit size depend on circumstances and point availability.

:)

Marwynn
22-06-2008, 03:27
hi, i like high evles and i like there new rules, but it seems to me that a cavalry army is far supirior to an infentry based army. so i would like to hear your opinions on how to play high elves infentry, and the squad size's that you like to feild them in.

Head on over to Ulthuan.net's forums and have a read there.

Cavalry armies are superior in certain areas and infantry, especially HE Elite Infantry, are superior in others. The optimum is having a capable mix of the two suited to your tastes.

Common HE deployment:

Spearmen - 6-7 wide, 3 ranks deep.
Lothern Sea Guard - Same, more common at 5-6 wide and 3 ranks deep due to cost
Phoenix Guard - 5x3 or 5x4
White Lions - Doable as 5x3 or 7x2, so most take 12-15.
Sword Masters - 7x2, maximize frontage to get as many kills in.

High Elves are all about the Special choices, like it or not. That doesn't mean the Core is ignorable, far from it.

Spears are deadly and they'll attract shots as people hate the ASF of 3 ranks of spears, even if they're S3. LSG is often considered overcosted, but they're versatile and just as deadly.

I can't give you a complete run-down but ask around and you'll get some good answers.

Two recent threads on the topic:
Lowly Spear Elves (http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25818)
Sword Masters and White Lions (http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25838)

redbaron998
22-06-2008, 05:47
Marwynn above me summs up well the ideal unit sizes and going over to Ulthuan.net is also good advice (nice forum and great people there)

Do you have any more specific questions?

izikial
22-06-2008, 16:41
yh thx for the feed back so far,

what is the role of the shadow worrias, egles are better for march block and warmachine hunting, archers are better at shooting so the only thing i can see is flank charges

22-06-2008, 21:43
times out of 10 I run all infantry HE force with 1 or 2 eagle support. when I do run cav I use Dragon princes (uh duh) 6 strong.

it works...most of the time

klstrider28
22-06-2008, 21:43

what is the role of the shadow worrias, egles are better for march block and warmachine hunting, archers are better at shooting so the only thing i can see is flank charges

Don't forget that shadow warriors have scout and hatred. Adding those stats in makes them superior to eagles. Plus you can save your rare choices for those tasty bolt throwers.

as a side note: why don't great eagles cause fear? I would s**t myself if i was charged by one...

izikial
22-06-2008, 23:08
hears another one are sword masters to vulnrable to stand on your front line or can they rough it with the white lions and pheonix guard

Condottiere
23-06-2008, 02:21

what is the role of the shadow worrias, egles are better for march block and warmachine hunting, archers are better at shooting so the only thing i can see is flank chargesYou can deploy Shadow Warriors as scouts, to take out war-machines, lone characters and/or march block. This depends a great deal on terrain and your opponent's deployment. It shouldn't be relied on, too much. Eagles are cheaper, but easier to shoot down.

Archers are useful to redirect flank charges and deny same to fast cavalry.

hears another one are sword masters to vulnrable to stand on your front line or can they rough it with the white lions and pheonix guard Not unless you are sure your opponent has nothing that can shoot up your Sword Masters, otherwise screen them.

as a side note: why don't great eagles cause fear? I would s**t myself if i was charged by one...Because they are oversized budgies.;)

Marwynn
23-06-2008, 05:20

Shadow Warriors can't flank charge, at least not for any good reason. They're skirmishers so they won't deny rank bonuses.

Shadow Warriors are suffering from a bit of an identity crisis. They can march block to some extent and they're closer to the enemy lines to get started on that. They can also warmachine hunt.

But they're primary purpose is sheer distraction. A turn spent dealing with Shadow Warriors' annoyance is a turn not taken out anywhere. They can do horrible things to warmachine crews.

Use both if necessary. I find however that they're terrain dependent so I fall back on the more expensive Ellyrian Reavers who typically have all the ground they want and of course Eagles who don't care about what's going on below.

You have double the rare choices than normal and Great Eagles are cheap, almost always useful, and fill roles other armies can't with their units.

hears another one are sword masters to vulnrable to stand on your front line or can they rough it with the white lions and pheonix guard

Yes, they're too vulnerable to remain unscreened. That, and their reputation makes them all too feared by your opponent (for good reason, I've chopped down a 25-strong Great Sword unit with the remaining 5 of 14 Sword Masters), so they're first priority for shooting most of the time.

There are many ways to screen Sword Masters and to limit their vulnerabilities, but they're not the Phoenix Guard.

Windings of a snake
03-07-2008, 11:36
High elves based on infantry win by comining first strike and great weapons or by a lot of weaker attacks comined with first strike.

However first strike and great weapons are the main stay use-