PDA

View Full Version : New GW Shop in Hereford

Jahred
22-06-2008, 00:35
Something a bit random, where I live, Hereford, has been the only city in the UK not to have a Games Workshop store. We have never had one since there was no real point; we have a massive model shop which has been stocking their products for 15 years as well as airfix, trains, dolls houses, tanks, planes, cars and heaps of other stuff - it really is a massive model mecca.

However, I just found out this evening that GW is actually going to open a shop in Hereford. The first thing which struck me is "Isn't this financial suicide?" - Hereford is a small city and I don't think it has enough gamers to justify a shop. Also, the Model Shop doesn't really shift that much of the game (enough to be profitable but not mega-bucks)*. Secondly, the Model Shop has been selling them for years and is adequate for the market in Hereford. However, GW has not only decided to open a shop, it didn't bother telling the Model Shop that they were doing so (Livid is an understatement of their feelings). They have faithfully sold GW's products for 15 years and suddenly they get shafted with a shop that directly challenges their hold on the model market.

In the end though, it will be nice to have a shop were I can regularly game in Hereford. Something the Model Shop always lacked was a social scene - no help for establishing gaming groups#. They merely sold the products but never tried to help people find games. However, GW is focused towards that and its a great thing that a centre gaming point is being established in Hereford.

So, one side of me hates GW for their complete disregard of the Model Shop, the other side is happy that soon I can play Warhammer in Hereford with more than just two people after all these years.

*I have no evidence to back this up apart from my observations.
#They did run a 2 hour Warhammer night for a few years that ended about 7 years ago.

The Picture on this page shows how packed the shop is with models (and it shows about a twelfth of the shop):
http://www.dns-hosts.co.uk/~hmodels/aboutus.php?PHPSESSID=2e22ecc91931e1c4a74f483d6d76 5f7d

scarletsquig
22-06-2008, 03:15
It's time for the model shop there to start making "10% off" loyalty cards...

purplehoob
22-06-2008, 09:54
This seems to be standard practice, same thing happened in Dundee and a few other people have cited similar stories. Little model shop builds up interest, gets special deals from GW, then a GW shop opens.

Needless to say the town can't support two shops and lets face it GW does sell their stuff better and look slicker.

Little model shop closes we have one model shop, I will point out that we have a shop that does sell cards like Magic in Dundee and the latest fads, they carry some warmachine but they are random in their opening hours.

We used to have two model shops and a club, which just seemed to run on the same night as vetrens night, no matter which night we held it on, people won't pay for something they can get for free, so no club now.

But you can't blame them for exploiting a business opportunity, they obviously think that the market in your town warrents the opening of their own shop.

Now I await the usual picking apart of my statements as being hersay and conjecture....

Jahred
22-06-2008, 11:26
"Now I await the usual picking apart of my statements as being hersay and conjecture...."

Heh, not this time, you are pretty much spot on with your comments. The only think I can find fault with is the fact that this is a very large model shop; not a small one!

However, Adrian (the owner) does stock some CCG's but very little in the way of Wargames aside from Games-Workshop. His main focus has always been models such as trains, cars, dolls houses, tanks etc - not wargames. So, it is understandable why GW is doing a dedicated store in Hereford. Also, I agree with you that they are much slicker and better presented in their own stores then they are in the Model shop.

I think, more than anything, I am looking forward to the social club scene being set up in Hereford. Its sorely missed one for years and its about time we had one.

Reaver83
22-06-2008, 11:37
I think the shop really has two options (not being business minded i'm probably wrong btw)

Either offer the GW stuff at a discount

Or don't stock their stuff, stock alternatives basically don't compete

Jahred
22-06-2008, 11:44
From what I gather, they aren't ordering any more in. As for their existing stock - no idea!

Swifty
22-06-2008, 12:14
Its alright for some! :D I wish we had a model shop let alone a GW, I live in a fairly large town but we have absolutely no support for any kind of modeling or hobby.

I think not making the model shop aware of the new GW store is abit bad. On the other hand though getting an actual GW store will not only give you a place to play but also help introduce new people to the game which most FLGS don't have the time or resources to do.

RevEv
22-06-2008, 12:15
Yep, standard practice I'm afraid. At least the model store has a wider stock base than others I have seen.

As to Hereford being the 'only UK City without a GW' - haven't seen one in Wells or St. Davids!

Templar Ben
22-06-2008, 12:54
Good luck to the little guys.

I thought GW was not going to do this anymore.

spud75
22-06-2008, 13:20
purplehoob, was that the shop that started up at Stobswell and then moved to the Westport? If so thats more than fifteen years ago!

blongbling
22-06-2008, 13:31
lets put the record straight on this shall we, ive spoken to some guys i know in the GW sales dept.

The store was informed, several months ago and told that this would be happening. They were also given the option of sending back all the stock for a complete refund if they chose to.

As i stated in the GW v Indies stores conversation GW will look at a city and judge whatever its turnover is in line to what the potential is. This will then lead them to make a decision on whatever to open a store or not to

The Guy
22-06-2008, 13:31
Its alright for some! :D I wish we had a model shop let alone a GW, I live in a fairly large town but we have absolutely no support for any kind of modeling or hobby.

I know how you feel. If I want GW models then I have to take an half hour trip to bury :(
And even then it's just toymaster and modeljunction, not much choice.

Swifty
22-06-2008, 13:56
Well it's not quite as bad for me, I have to travel 40 mins to get to Warhammer World which I suppose isnt that bad. Melton could really use an flgs though.

Jahred
22-06-2008, 14:04
"lets put the record straight on this shall we, ive spoken to some guys i know in the GW sales dept.

The store was informed, several months ago and told that this would be happening. They were also given the option of sending back all the stock for a complete refund if they chose to."

Fair enough, I spoke to the manager (of the model shop) Adrian about this and he stated that they never did this. So, I guess its up to who you want to believe. :)

heretics bane
22-06-2008, 14:25
I think the shop really has two options (not being business minded i'm probably wrong btw)

Either offer the GW stuff at a discount

Or don't stock their stuff, stock alternatives basically don't compete

Then they'd definately lose if they stopped stocking GW stuff.

GW stuff has a far bigger fan base and range than most other model ranges(talking from limited experience though)

blongbling
22-06-2008, 16:17
Fair enough, I spoke to the manager (of the model shop) Adrian about this and he stated that they never did this. So, I guess its up to who you want to believe. :)

well i know the guy that made the call to him and spoke to him about it.

purplehoob
22-06-2008, 20:04
purplehoob, was that the shop that started up at Stobswell and then moved to the Westport? If so thats more than fifteen years ago!

Yes that was a long time ago. Like most wargamers I have a long memory.

There is another shop in the west port called Highlander that was the one I was talking about.

You are talking about Rexs shop, zoo pets and graphic books.;)

SneakyChris
22-06-2008, 21:53
Well Ive known about this for about 6 months now. Its going to be a one man store, part of a pilot that GW are doing at the momment. It will be open weekends and closed 2 days in the school week. There was some talk of them getting a temp as well, but GW Worester has been told that they will cover the staff member who is running the Hereford store whenever he needs it.
About the model shop already there........GW doesnt give a dam about them. They were never offered that deal (sell them back the minatures). Why would GW? They have been used to create a small core of Hobbiests in the area( we knew this from sighn up lists at worcester). Now GW will move in and exploit it. Huzzar for the big company stepping on the little man! Honnestly all Indie stores need to look out for this in future, cos GW dont care about them!
Dont mean to sound anti GW, it will be great for ppl in the hobby and to promote and recruit ppl into it, but give a thought about the indie stores, wheres the loyalty?

RevEv
23-06-2008, 09:16
Loyalty has little to do with business - GW see a market in Hereford that has reached a threshold wherby they deem it worth their while to place a store in the town. This they have ascertained by the succes of the model shop.

As to selling back the stock to GW - perhaps the store should contact the sales team direct regarding blongblings comment. They may not have been offered the option because the guy they deal direct with is not aware of the option (I have heard many tales from FLGS of poor links between GW and Independants - at the end of the day communications between companies is only as good as the people in between).

blongbling
23-06-2008, 10:08
i think you misunderstand, the store IS in the process of returning the stock, that was GW's offer and it was taken up.

SneakyChris, i think you will find it is actually due to the lack of sales from the store that GW decided to open there. if the store was doing a good turnover it wouldnt have happened. Also before you start saying theat GW doesnt care about it s indies, i suggest you look into what they have done with them over the last year, including increasing their discounts and offering mroe margins.........

SneakyChris
23-06-2008, 10:59
hmmm good point about the sales, but Im still unsure about the state of the whole indies thing. My local has been having more and more problems with them, such as not taking old stock off their hands and not giving them a decent overveiw of the hobby. But fair enough, if this is the case then then that shows some respect to the store in hereford.

jimbobodoll
23-06-2008, 11:29
In regards to the big GW vs. Lil' indie, I thought I'd mention the case of Cheltenham as anecdote evidence. Back in the day, circa 1990, the nearest GW to this large town (bigger than Hereford easily) was either Oxford or Swindon although there was a model store on the outskirts of town. Fast forward 18 years and guess what? GW has opened a store but the lil' guy is still there in the self same place he was before. The point of this? GW moving in doesn't spell certain doom for the indie store and we must remember that. Does anyone know the demographic overlap of their customers anyway? I'm thinking Airfix, historical gamers, etc etc might be very different indeed to GW's average customer.

Also, living not too far from Hereford (Malvern FYI), I have to say I'm surprised at GW's decision here... Even with a one man shop I can't believe they're going to make much of a turn around and here's why: Please excuse my frankness here, and its not trolling just IMHO: Hereford is a raging hole of the worst backwards kind. Anecdotal evidence for this? Here's one example: I popped in to 3 town centre computer games stores 3 weekends ago to ask the date Sins of a Solar Empire was going to be released here in the UK and they all stared at my blankly telling me, "Never heard of it"... Its been released in the USA since February and a demo was on a British pc gaming magazine last month! *Arrrrrgh!!*

Jahred
23-06-2008, 11:54
Hereford is a raging hole of the worst backwards kind. Anecdotal evidence for this? Here's one example: I popped in to 3 town centre computer games stores 3 weekends ago to ask the date Sins of a Solar Empire was going to be released here in the UK and they all stared at my blankly telling me, "Never heard of it"... Its been released in the USA since February and a demo was on a British pc gaming magazine last month! *Arrrrrgh!!*

I like the way you suggest that Malvern is any better. :p

As for your Anecdotal evidence, I asked the same thing three weeks ago in Canterbury to the various computer game shops (Game, Gamestation and X) and got the same reply - "Er...what game". Whilst Sins of a Solar Empire is a very cool game, it seriously lacks "brand recognition" like alot of other games. So, I can't really fault the shops in either Hereford or Canterbury for not knowing about its release date!

As for Hereford being backwards, yep, your totally right. :cool:

SneakyChris, i think you will find it is actually due to the lack of sales from the store that GW decided to open there. if the store was doing a good turnover it wouldnt have happened.

See, that is what I find odd - As mentioned in my first post, I doubted that Hereford would produce enough sales to make this viable. We aren't a very big city so I don't know how many more sales GW expects to get by opening a new shop. Just have to wait and see I guess!

Bugstomper
23-06-2008, 11:55
I know the person that's in charge of the new store, Liam, he's a really top bloke and when he was working at Winchester store really made me get back into regular gaming with the nice atmosphere and encouragement he fostered (i've been playing for 20 years but every time i'd been to other games nights at bournemouth and southampton stores they'd put me off gaming entirely for months, there are an incredible amount of ********* in this hobby and it needs a good person in charge to run things in a friendly manner and stop the minority spoiling it, Liam is one of those people.).

Having talked to him about the move up to Hereford when he was at Winchester and asked him about the indie store there he said they'd tried to come to an agreement with them but they weren't interested. He was genuinely dissapointed as he felt it could have worked well because of their limited opening hours etc.. but i guess people prefer the evil corporate GW beast story better.

For those in the Hereford area considering a games night i'd highly recommend going along if Liam runs it anything like he did at Winchester.

Reaver83
23-06-2008, 12:29
We had liam down in bournemouth for a while as well, he seemed a decent sort, I'd definitely go in there, he was a good laugh and i personally wish him the best of luck

jimbobodoll
23-06-2008, 12:35
I like the way you suggest that Malvern is any better. :p

Never suggested or hinted directly or indirectly anything of the sort! In fact, Malvern is a complete Chav hole with a most bizarre accent which takes the form of, "drop as many syllables as possible". Hence "Hello friend, how are you?" becomes, "Right mate?" for example.

This is combined with an equally horrendous local dialect in which pleasurable or highly esteemed things are labeled, "sand" (their attempt at the word, "sound") all spoken in a mixture of west country and west midland (brummie 'zummerzet' combination anyone?). Avoid at all costs. Do not be tempted - you will get mugged by some of the shortest (irradiated from the granite hills apparently) vilest chav half breeds you're likely to encounter.

Remember the ginger bloke off big brother who died his hair black? Tim was it? He is/was from Malvern. " 'nuff said like, innit -> now lets go down link an rob co-op/Aldi and go on swings"....

blongbling
23-06-2008, 12:35
on a side, go to stardock.com and you can buy and dowload SoaSE...thats where i got it from...direct from the designers

Jahred
23-06-2008, 12:39
1) I think its safe to assume we live in a less than fabulous part of the Country.

2) I direct downloaded it as well from Stardock.com

3) As I mentioned previously, I am so glad that we now have a GW purely for the social side (such as Club Nights).

Jahred
23-06-2008, 16:02
I actually had a look at the new Shop today and I have to say, it looks really swish. It is quite large (larger than I thought it would be) with the classic three central table set up with products around the edges.

However, it was closed today (closed Mon/tues - open rest of the week) so I couldn't talk to the manager liam. But I will be dropping by on wednesday just to say hello.

I have to say I am impressed, its a much bigger store than I thought it would be and it does look very attractive, more so that the Hereford Model Shop.

Kaihlik
23-06-2008, 18:04
I don't really understand this GW vs Indie thing. In Glasgow there is one other model shop that I know of the would really compete with the GW and I think they get more buisness than they would if GW weren't there. The reason is that they are hidden away whereas GW is quite visible, when someone comes in and asks for a non GW moddeling product they are directed by the staff or the customers to the Indie.

As far as i'm aware most Indies to not stock anywhere near the full GW range and so by opening a store GW are not neccissarily competeing directly with the Indie. I also know many people who started off with GW games and have moved on to collect other mini's/games as well. I realise that this is not always the case but I can't see how opening a GW store can cripple a good Indie.

AGC
23-06-2008, 18:17
I don't really understand this GW vs Indie thing. In Glasgow there is one other model shop that I know of the would really compete with the GW and I think they get more buisness than they would if GW weren't there. The reason is that they are hidden away whereas GW is quite visible, when someone comes in and asks for a non GW moddeling product they are directed by the staff or the customers to the Indie.

As far as i'm aware most Indies to not stock anywhere near the full GW range and so by opening a store GW are not neccissarily competeing directly with the Indie. I also know many people who started off with GW games and have moved on to collect other mini's/games as well. I realise that this is not always the case but I can't see how opening a GW store can cripple a good Indie.

Umm, hate to tell you this, but this is the "New GW Shop in Hereford" thread not the "GW vs Indies" thread.

But in anycase how is GW Glasgow doing? I've never seen anyone going in or even looking in the window, but the neighbouring computer game shop's always busy.

Osbad
24-06-2008, 11:40
To be honest, I have very little sympathy with any Indie store who expects to make a profit off gamers simply from selling models over the counter with no "extras". When the internet exists with next-day postal access to the entire range of GW stuff, why should I drive/take the bus into town and give my money to s ashop owner? In order to get business he needs to offer something more, or simply put, in today's business environment he has no reason to exist - he is in the true sense of the word redundant!

A game store isn't a charity being nice to fluffy bunnies, it has no reason to exist unless it is satisfying a business need. 10 years ago a B&M store was satisfying that need by simply existing. Nowadays the internet services that need, so a B&M needs to offer more (facilities to play, loyalty discount, space to meet up with other gamers, whatever....) than I can get by simply switching mon my computer, otherwise I can get a discount and access to a complete range of products (and to competitor and supplementary products) with speedy delivery, for a lot less cost and hassle compared to the drive into town.

Sure some like to browse product racks, but when you are buying unassembled model kits, what is the point?

Harsh, but true.

Unless there's a discount on offer, or good facilities to play, a GW store will serve the GW gamer better than an indie shop selling GW product and not offering anything else on top.