PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at 2k dwarves

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
22-06-2008, 06:13
I just got my new dwarf army, consisting of a lot of thunderers, cannons, warriors, long beards, and slayers.

Here's my first try at a 2k list:

Runelord , GW, shield, Anvil of Doom, Master Rune of Spellbinding, Spelleater Rune, 2 Runes of Iron 434

Runesmith, GW, shield, Master Rune of Balance 126

Thane, GW, Shield, Master Rune of Valaya 171

10 Thunderers, Shields, Musician 155

Bolt Thrower, Engineer 60

Cannon, Engineer, Rune of Forging 140

15 Hammerers, Shields, Command, Rune of Determination 245

15 Hammerers, Shields, Command, Rune of Santuary x 3 270

Comments welcome.

Oh and quick rules question, does the master rune of spellbinding and the master rune of valaya give me +3 to dispel?

Gorog Irongut
22-06-2008, 06:47
Yes, it does give you a +3 to dispel.

After having looked at your list, there are really, really too few models. Aside from characters, you only have 72 models on the board. A good list should never have less than 80 and that is going very elite. A non elite army should never be less than 100 models strong.

I also find that you have too much magic resistance. Dwarfs are more than capable of getting by on the 4 dispel dice they start off with. As such your runelord costs way too much (I try and keep mine naked but with the R of Stone) and you don't really need the other runesmith.

You seem to be going the gunline route, which won't earn you any friends. Make room for more shooting troops cause you don't have enough. Where's your organ gun?

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
22-06-2008, 07:25
Good to know about the MR. I can drop the runesmith and add master engineers for fun bonuses. I have organ guns, but I was not that impressed by them.

Also, what sort of balanced list might do well? I don't want to go totally gunline, it just seems the most effective way to go because of the short movement.

Edit: Hm, apparently I wrote a BoC list without realizing it :D

Arguleon-veq
22-06-2008, 11:35
I like your list as is really.

I like your character choices, 9 Dispell with Scrolls and +3 to Dispell should be enough to TOTALLY shut down Magic even from VC and HE. Although I dont think you need +3, +1 is enough and the Valaya banner is a lot of points that could be spent elsewhere.

The spare points you have at the moment should get a Rune of Penetrating on a Bolt Thrower.

If you drop that Valaya rune and the Spelleater to a Spellbreaker then you can also squeeze in an Organ Gun. As Spelleater is unreliable anyway.

Toschenko
22-06-2008, 13:28
Your BSB can't have a GW and/or a shield (sadly :() and his point cost is wrong, as he should cost at least 190 points (I guess you forgot to pay the BSB upgrade). And the runelord should cost 459 points with those equipments.

As gorog irongut has already pointed out, you have too much anti magic... I would consider removing the valaya banner, the 3x MR runes on the hammerers' standard, the runesmith (7DD with a +1 to dispel are enough for most opponents) and downgrading the spelleater rune to 2 spellbreaking (unless you're going to face many many VCs, in that case the spelleater can be game-winning with a bit of luck). I also would look to remove the 5+ ward save from the runelord... he should never get into combat, really. I usually park him in cover well behind my lines, and that 2+ AS is enough for whitstanding the impact of most of the units that could engage him (furies, fell bats, gutter runners... anything larger should be shat at in the very first turns). This saves another 30 points.

What I'd suggest is something along these lines:

Runelord , GW, shield, Anvil of Doom, Master Rune of Spellbinding, Spelleater Rune (or 2x spellbreaking runes) 429

Thane, BSB, Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Cleaving, Master Rune of Gromril 160

10 Thunderers, Shields 150

20 Warriors, Shields, Command 205

Cannon, Rune of Forging 125 (with the rune of forging, the engineer is not so necessary as the rune will grant you less misfires)

14 Hammerers, Shields, Command, Rune of Courage 242 (BSB goes here)

Grudge Thrower, Engineer, Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Accuracy 145 (Really helps against big blocks of infantry)

Organ Gun 120 (a must in all proper gunlines, or should I say in every dwarf army? :p)

Total: 1996 points

Toschenko

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
22-06-2008, 20:11
Ok, I looked at what I actually have and there is no Anvil of Doom, or bolt throwers for that matter. Here's a list using models I have at the moment.

Rune Lord, GW, Shield, Master Rune of Spellbinding, Rune of Stone 204

Runesmith, GW Shield, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spellbreaking 106

Thane, BSB, Strollaz Runes, Rune of Stone, Master Rune of Swiftness 175

Master Engineer, Dwarf Handgun, Rune of Stone, 85

20 Warriors w/ Shields and Command 205

20 Warriors w/ Shields and Command 205

10 Thunderers 140

10 Thunderers 140

10 Thunderers 140

10 Thunderers 140

Cannon, Rune of Forging 125 (Master Engineer goes here)

Cannon, Engineer 105

7 Miners 77

Organ Gun 140

Left over it looks like I have 14 slayers and 23 more miners, plus 2 more cannons.

Toschenko
22-06-2008, 22:52
There are still some troubles with the army composition: the BSB can't have any other runic equipment if you give him a runic banner (on top of that, Strollaz's rune is not going to help too much, with 40 thunderers and 2 cannons you will force the opponent to come at you anyway) and the organ gun is 120 points, not 140.

I'd drop one unit of thunderers, give the BSB the equipments I suggested earlier (or consider giving him a Master rune of Challenge to avoid flankers getting on your frail (:D) shooters) and squeeze in a unit of 15 trollslayers, unvaluable (being unbreakable) when holding one of your flanks. You have another 20 spare points to give shields to two units of thunderers (their 4+ save in HtH is not to be underestimated)

Toschenko

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
23-06-2008, 02:10
Ok, that's doable. A lot of the minis are from BfSP, so the thunderers don't have shields, for example, but in a friendly game I can proxy. Oh, and I just remembered I have one of those axe throwers from the Storm of Chaos.

Thanks for the help!