PDA

View Full Version : How do you start a league play? and RTT questions

shakespear
22-06-2008, 14:07
Long story short, I moved to a new town and the gaming situation is sad for a town this size.

Yesterday I met with shop owners and the few local GW players, and found lots of interested people and a great shop.

I figure a league would be a great way to start after 5th ed. comes out. We could start with 500 point armies and move up as we play.

Only problem is, I have no idea how to do that. I have never played in a league. So what do I do? How do i get started?

I had some RTT questions too. We have no RT shops in the area. We have a Hobbytown and a store that gets GW stuff from alliance. Can the store we game at host RTTs (even get in WD) without carrying GW stuff in store? If not how much does he need to carry?

thanks for your help, hopefully this will end with alot of new players

CommisarMolotov
22-06-2008, 17:24
...Only problem is, I have no idea how to do that. I have never played in a league. So what do I do? How do i get started?

...Can the store we game at host RTTs (even get in WD) without carrying GW stuff in store? If not how much does he need to carry?

The most important thing to straighten out is WHERE you will be playing. Will that store you mentioned let you play your games there? Can they store your gaming tables and (more importantly) scenery safely? Are they open for business during hours that are conducive to your gaming group?

Your "escalation league" sounds like a great idea - I've been wanting to get the same thing started around here this summer, because I've got a ton of unpainted models and very little enthusiasm for painting. Just figure out the levels you want to play at (we used to use a 250 point "step," and escalate it every two weeks, but we're all older gamers with jobs that keep us from painting too much!) and post a sign-up sheet wherever you think you could find potential gamers - wherever GW products are sold locally would probably be the best place.

As for the RTT's being "official" and in White Dwarf, I'd suggest not worrying about it - the store would have to make a BIG commitment to carrying GW products, and unless you can promise them a big group of customers right off the bat, it'd be better to just keep it "unofficial" and ensure you have a happy store owner who will let you keep playing games there rather than a p.o.'d store owner who's unhappy about having to stock all that "required" merchandise!

Just stay enthusiastic, pick a very "laid back" schedule for your escalation league to let the gamers pick their own preferred level of participation, and make SURE that everyone treats the store like they were playing in their grandma's living room (be careful with food and drinks, no cursing, and whatever the owner/manager/pimply part-timer says, GOES!)

Good luck!

vartemis
22-06-2008, 20:21
Here is what I would do.

Put up a flier at the store you are looking at playing at. If it's a smaller town/city, ask store owners of related interests if you can put up fliers. I would stick to places that sell comics, video games, and bookstores (put them up in the science fiction and fantasy section).

Once you get a good idea of how many people you are going to get in your league, determine what a proper operating budget will be. Most gamers won't have a problem forking over a little bit of dough if you give them a good enough reason. This operating fund would be for expenses for the group, such as damage and wear and tear to scenery, as well as things such as a trophies or prizes at the end of the league.

I would get some kind of board that you can put names on to rank players in terms of their wins/losses. If you really want it to look good, perhaps get some cheap plastic engraved name plates for the participants. You will also want a drop box. Print up some pieces of paper that just say "date, player 1 name and signature, player 2 name and signature," and 2 check boxes to determine who is the winner.

As a general rule, no player should play any opponent more than twice until they have played everyone in that particular league. When everyone has played everyone else twice or after a predetermined amount of time, total up the wins and losses and rank the players accordingly. You can either continue the league by allowing everyone to play everyone else twice again, or you can start a new league. I reccommend starting a new league as this will allow new members the chance to join without being punished for not starting at the beginning.

At the end of the league, you should give out awards. Everyone who participated gets a ballot to vote. Consider making trophies using models and wood. You can either paint the model up in a scheme, or just paint it in gold and give it a glaze. I would keep the trophies in the store to allow bragging rites or just allow the winner to keep it until the end of the next league, and I would also consider making the wooden base big enough to add multiple names on it as a chronicle of your league's exploits. As well, print up some nice certificates and give the winners a sticker/keychain they can stick on their gaming case as a badge of honor, or perhaps gift certs for the store. At least do this if you can't afford the trophies. The awards I would consider giving out are "League Champion", "Best Painted Army", "Sportsmanship", and possibly even "Most Improved". If you are making trophies, I would theme them out. League champion would be cool if you converted up a diorama for the top showing a space marine standing over a pile of other races. Most Improved could be a marine scout, Sportsmanship could be a marine with a terminator honors shoulder pad, and Best Painted could be a techmarine. You can obviously use any race you want, but I think these best suit the titles, and marines are the token race of 40k. To do this kind of thing, you obviously need a little start up capital, but the trophies would be a 1 time expense, and the name plates and certificates/prizes would be negligible depending on league attendance. If you are going to be giving out gift certs out for the store, see if the owner will offer you a discount or possibly give you the models needed to make the trophies. If you explain to them what you are doing, and show that it will increase business, if not just in the gift certs given out at the end of each league, I am sure they would be willing to work something out with you.

Ideally a league works best if you can get at least 10 people involved. Set the league fee between $10-20. If you had 10 people pitch in $20, that's a $200 operating budget. Assuming you already have the trophies taken care of, each league's tags, certs, and prizes shouldn't cost more than $20, leaving you with $180 work of gift certs to give out. I would breakdown prize payout as follows:

Winner: 30%
Best Painted: 30%
Sportsmanship: 20%
Most Improved: 20%

Assuming that nothing has been accidentally damaged (anything damaged on purpose requires payment by the offender or league expulsion without refund or readmittance), that is a pretty good payout for everyone involved in terms of gift certs. Once a player has one best painted army, they cannot win it again unless they either use a different army or it has been at least a year. I would say that Most improved is also a 1 time deal.

Besides league play, consider having other friendly competitions within the store, such as painting competitions. Many store counters have a glass cabinet somewhere near the register. Ask if you can put the models in there with a number in front of each model, and leave some ballots by the till. Assuming it's ok with the owner, allow each participant and each customer who spends a minimum $ amount (say $10) can fill out a ballot to vote for what they think is the best painted model. The store owner can promote the league to drum up more players and business for himself (look at some of the fabulous models you could play against), and it allows a somewhat objective polling. If someone wants to be "beardy" and get their friends to vote for them unfairly, they are each going to have to spend $10 a pop to do so.

I gotta head out now, but this should give you a good start. I will admit that I have never personally run a league myself, BUT I have read extensively on them, and my background in marketing and event management gives me a solid understanding in how to run such an event.

j

shakespear
23-06-2008, 01:04
That all sounds great. Hopefully I can pick up the 40k slack in my state.