PDA

View Full Version : frenzied units with variable charge question

sephiroth87
22-06-2008, 15:02
If I put the waaagh banner (adds extra D6 to a charge one time a game) to a unit of savage orc boarboyz, how do you measure for frenzied charge range? Do you have to be within their 14'' regular charge range to try and charge? Or does the banner make it an automatic 15'' (as it's d6 inches and 1 is the minimum)?

How do you resolve a frenzied unit with a variable charge range?

Urgat
22-06-2008, 17:28
This question has been raised recently, but since the search option doesn't work for me for some reason, I'll let you look by yourself, sorry :p

Faustburg
22-06-2008, 18:51
As you use the banner after you have declared a charge (whether voluntarily or as in this case because of Frenzy), it is of no "help" to Savage Orcs really...

Unless they charge something that reduces their reach (E.g that dwarf rune banner whatsitcalled)...

Chiungalla
23-06-2008, 03:56
... or unless the opponent flees as a charge reaction, and the additional D6 charge range is needed to get them...
... or unless the opponent flees as a charge reaction, and the additional D6 charge distance let you charge another unit instead...

@ sephiroth87:
You declare charges, if the enemy is within 14 inches.
The D6 is added after you declare charges.

Tarax
23-06-2008, 09:32
Agreed, with added notion your failed charge would be your normal failed charge move, no bonus added. (Although with Frenzied troops you're always within charge reach.)

The Red Scourge
23-06-2008, 09:46
(Although with Frenzied troops you're always within charge reach.)

Yeah, but if you haven't learned about flee-baiting, it is about time you did ;)

T10
23-06-2008, 12:37
In general the charge move bonus is a bit of a gamble, or trump card: You declare a charge that appears to be out of range and you and your opponent have to gamble on wether the bonus will be sufficient for the chargers to reach. It's a rather complex interaction. this usualy plays out like this in our gaming circle:

1. Player A declares that the unit is making a charge.
2. Player B declares his charge reaction.
3. Player A rolls the appropriate dice and adds to the charge move.
4. Player B resolves his charge reaction.
5. Palyer A moves chargers.

Remember that you are not supposed to declare a charge when you know you can't reach, but you are allowed to declare a charge that you think you have a chance of doing so. And those extra 1d6" can be just enough. :)

With frenzy it's a bit different as the charge bonus puts the unit in a kind of Catch-22 position.

- You can't voluntarilly declare a charge with frenzied troops since this is triggered automatically.
- You don't charge unless you know you're in range.
- You don't know if you're in range or not before unless you've declared a charge.

In this case I think this approach would be the most fair: When it's time to check for charges by frenzied troops, roll the die. If this is sufficient to allow the frenzied unit to charge then it does so. If the enhanced charge range is insufficient then no charge is declared.

This would mean that single-use charge range bonuses aren't spent unless it allows an actual charge. While this makes the bonus more reliable for frenzied troops, it also removes the uncertainty aspect for your opponent as well.

-T10

Braad
23-06-2008, 13:35
What T10 says, is more or less what I do, and if I remember right also more or less what we agreed on in the topic that came up some time ago (if I didn't miss anything).

Just roll the die before doing the measure, and if you make it you charge, if you don't make it you don't charge, but the banner is lost.

And in my personal opinion it would just be plain silly if the WAAAGH banner has no real uses for a unit of crazy ass boar riding dudes.

T10
23-06-2008, 14:58
Just roll the die before doing the measure, and if you make it you charge, if you don't make it you don't charge, but the banner is lost.

What do you mean by "the banner is lost"?

-T10

Tarax
23-06-2008, 16:22
Probably the magical effect is lost as it's a 'one use only'-banner.

BTW just read the rules for said banner and apparantly if you fail the charge you move your 'normal charge distance'. :eyebrows: :confused:

Glad to see it's changed in the Errata. :p It's 'normal failed charge distance'.

sephiroth87
25-06-2008, 02:28
I hadn't seen it in the forums and I usually look. Thanks for being patient and answering the question. It cleared up a lot for me. Thanks, guys!