PDA

View Full Version : The Army of Vrentiss the Black

Kerill
22-06-2008, 18:01
Ok, I'm putting together a VC army led by a master vampire who has made a deal with Tzeentch to overcome his master Mangar (from the Daemon fluff). Currently considering the following:

Vrentiss the black, Vampire Lord, master of the black arts, dark acolyte, lord of the dead, book of arkhan, heml of commandment, biting blade @ 370 Pts
-Will likely spend most of his time in the small ghoul bunker behind lines but with a charge path to the frontlines for the vampire if needed (hence the biting blade). Will be in charge of raising the skeleton warrior regiments to a decent level and general replenishment.

Arek the cold, Vampire, bsb, walking death, dread knight, staff of damnation @ 215 Pts
Mobile combat resolutiom, will likely spend most of his time with the skeletons with banner of the dead legion and spears although he can also run with the blackknights or direwolves if speed is needed.

Ichmael the acolyte, dark acolyte, summon creatures of the knight, black periapt, sword of might, nightshroud 195 Pts
Multi-tasking vamp, summon creatures of the knight allows him to boost the fellbats so they can fulfill a variety of roles from tarpitting and flank charges to the usual war machine/mage hunting roles. He will stay with the wights and the mixture of nightshroud, sowrd of might and banner of strigos should allow him to hold his own

1 Necromancer, 2 spells, corpse cart, unholy lodestone, cursed book, dispel scroll @ 215Pts
Back up caster with guaranteed van hels. Cursed book is there to hopefully keep him alive until help arrives as well as give the cart a chance to kill things, will also bulk out the spearless warriors.

10 Crypt Ghouls @ 80 Pts
- bunker for Lord

14 Skeleton Warriors, spears, FC: dead legion @ 171 Pts
- usually joined by bsb for +7 static combat res and a very good chance of outnumber. Spears for use with the helm of command to get an extra 4 attacks in at Ws7

13 Skeleton Warriors , FC: war banner@ 145 Pts
The lesser of the skeleton units will babysit the corpse cart although with the warbanner and (hopefully) full ranks, banner, war banner and corpse cart attacks will be fairly decent in combat too.

3 Fell Bats @ 60 Pts
- Very useful utility units, count as infantry so can be raised to larger numbers quikcly (especially with lodestone) to fulfil a range of objectives.

3 Fell Bats @ 60 Pts
-same

6 Black Knights, standard, champion 176 Pts

- another nuisance unit although it can be upgraded to a hammer if the bsb is added in, otherwise for flanking, drawing fire and clearing forests.

19 Grave Guard, great weapons, FC: banner of strigos 312 Pts
The hard answer to everything, with a S6 hero in the unit and 5 S6 killing blow attacks these boys can handle anything.

Casting Pool: 11

Dispel Pool: 7

Models in Army: 77

Total Army Cost: 1999

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. I realise ghouls are probably better than skeletons but I have more skeleton models so the core of the army will have to remain skeletons, other than that, fire away.

Malorian
23-06-2008, 16:00
If you are going great weapons then you'll want the grave guard to be 7 wide to take full advantage of their strength.

With this setup I'd drop some things to get the staff of damnation. Great for units of skeletons with spear and grave guard w/ great weapons. Maybe get this by dropping the dire wolves. I've only seen them get shot up. I'd rather just raise ghouls to do most of the same jobs.

Not a fan of the second vampire. If you are going to keep him as a front ranker I'd drop the nightshroud and get the flayed halbrek(sp?).

Looks interesting though. You have a good mix.

Kerill
24-06-2008, 09:22
Thanks for the reply, staff of damnation is definitely a good call but I think I'll stick with the nightshroud since I can't fit the hauberk in with the periapt and sword of might. See how it goes, I"ll stick with offense as the best form of defence (followed closely by vacating the unit if something too hard is coming towards him).

I was going to keep the GG at 5 wide, but you are right with the 7 wide, so I'll have them that way. I've edited the list :)

Gharof von Carstein
24-06-2008, 09:38
i think your gonna have a problem with a ghoul bunker of only 10 for your lord. ghouls have no AS so they will be shot down like flies. leaving your lord exposed. Think about either putting your lord somewhere else or making that bunker stronger. not to mention is it just me or does none of your casters have summon ghouls? thats peachy and all but ill wager you that your lord will be standing by himself after one round of shooting by a empire player.

Kerill
24-06-2008, 14:15
Sadly I don't have any more ghouls at present (hence no summon ghouls) and won't have for a while (on a budget). The ghoul bunker will be behind the main line though (skeletons, wights black knights) so they will be out of sight of most ranged units (since hills tend to be occupied by artillery pieces against which my lord has no ward save which is a bit of a worry). The ghouls should never actually be in combat and theire will be only a 1" gap between the skeletons and wights for my lord to charge through if needed.

I'm also hoping that the fellbats will be something of a distraction for ranged units since they will be targetting such things. Its unlikely of course but I could pump the fellbats by 14 i(28 wounds) n my first turn, although I'll be more than happy with 4 or so.

Malorian
24-06-2008, 14:37
i think your gonna have a problem with a ghoul bunker of only 10 for your lord. ghouls have no AS so they will be shot down like flies. leaving your lord exposed. Think about either putting your lord somewhere else or making that bunker stronger. not to mention is it just me or does none of your casters have summon ghouls? thats peachy and all but ill wager you that your lord will be standing by himself after one round of shooting by a empire player.

10 ghouls will be fine. Ghouls are always better than skeletons when it comes to shooting, so they are the right unit.

The bunker is usually either behind a unit (out of LOS) and further back (out of range).

Unless we are talking about several motars then the empire player wound have to be pretty lucky to wipe out this unit in one turn.

(Assuming they are in range and have LOS it would take 60 handgunners on average to wipe out 10 ghouls at long range.)